E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

volume knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's only 2 pages for me (changed my board settings from default) and I wish I could make it only 1 but the board software doesn't support that at this time... :thumbsdown:
Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='224158
It's very scary that there is a 4 page thread about the volume knob...
I'm not scared. I was just going to measure the thing precisely for our knowledge base. You know, C = Pi(D), etc.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Znod,

to find out you will have to try and get your hands on a TV series called Father Ted. Its about these two Catholic Priests who live on a fictitious remote little island off the coast of Ireland called Craggey Island. I will let you make your own mind up.

regards,

Grinche
Old 01-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='224339' date='Jan 14 2006, 07:31 PM
Znod,

to find out you will have to try and get your hands on a TV series called Father Ted. Its about these two Catholic Priests who live on a fictitious remote little island off the coast of Ireland called Craggey Island. I will let you make your own mind up.

regards,

Grinche
Thanks.

"Father Ted and Simpsons break rules of conversation: Eat my shorts Ted

by Caroline O'Doherty

WITH scabby faced Fr Jack punctuating curses with slugs of whiskey and beer-bellied Homer Simpson giving child protection agencies nightmares, two of the nation's favourite TV comedies between them manage to violate every known code of decency, intelligence and good taste.

But psychologists say that's not the only violation they're guilty of. Father Ted and The Simpsons stand accused of the contravention of conversational conventions. Right so, Ted d'ye think the tooth fairy can fly? Now that would be a contravention of the convention of relation in which a comment should be relevant to the discourse taking place.

But there are all sorts of conventions to upset. And one researcher set himself the onerous task of setting up a video recorder, plumping up the cushions and finding out just how serious a crime Ted and the Simpson clan had committed. Just as he suspected - contraventions all over the place. A total of 125 in one episode of Father Ted and 116 in one daily dose of The Simpsons.

According to Dr Brian Hughes, of the psychology department at LSB College in Dublin, this illustrates how, when and why language is perceived as humorous. That in turn helps explain why nonsensical dialogue can be funny instead of plain irritating and why blatantly incorrect statements are taken as jokes instead of lies.
Despite the study containing the kind of impenetrable technical terminology that would make Bart Simpon's brain explode, the topic did raise a laugh at the annual conference of the Psychological Society of Ireland in Kilkenny. And Dr Hughes admitted to being quite fond of one of the two programmes he studied although professional objectivity prevented him revealing which one."
Old 01-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

let it die guys !!
Old 01-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Members

Dash knobs have become smaller and flimsier as of late at the request of emergengy room physicians as they are easier to remove from patient'sfaces rather than the older heavier rocket ship shaped knobs on older cars ...progress.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='224339' date='Jan 14 2006, 04:31 PM
Znod,

regards,

Grinche
I guessed that's where you got the reference from - Father Ted is (or sadly was, RIP Dermot Morgan ) one of the funniest comedies on TV. Znod, it's shown over here on BBC America. Tough to pick a favorite episode but the one based on the movie "Speed" but featuring a milk cart is probably mine. Excellent reference Mr Grinche!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='224364
Znod,

regards,

Grinche
I guessed that's where you got the reference from - Father Ted is (or sadly was, RIP Dermot Morgan ) one of the funniest comedies on TV. Znod, it's shown over here on BBC America. Tough to pick a favorite episode but the one based on the movie "Speed" but featuring a milk cart is probably mine. Excellent reference Mr Grinche!
[/quote]
Thanks swaja.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Members

Back to the knob.

I have always thought I would love to have the volume knob just to the left of the Idrive knob.

I do use the steering wheel volume control, but I believe it would be more functional to move your hand a little to the left to adjust the volume, than move it off the Idrive knob.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by billysunshine' post='224372' date='Jan 14 2006, 06:38 PM
Back to the knob.

I have always thought I would love to have the volume knob just to the left of the Idrive knob.

I do use the steering wheel volume control, but I believe it would be more functional to move your hand a little to the left to adjust the volume, than move it off the Idrive knob.
Yes, that is the perfect place for it. When I changed the interior trim in my car to ALU Shadow I also changed the shifter surround plate and shift knob to the M5 ones. The M5 shifter surround plate has an "Up/Down" button which is used for changing the SMG modes (inside the red circle in the picture below). Since I don't have SMG III in my car that button is not used for anything. So I am going to try to make it a volume control button. It is in the perfect location and even the symbol on it could represent a volume up/down symbol. I am waiting for Hobi to return and see if he can make a wiring adapter for it. If not I would have to see if I can do it myself.

Quick Reply: volume knob