E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Voice recognition retrofit in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:40 AM
other minor bugs are hopefully solved by that update (radio stations have "LOCAL" name etc
[snapback]114784[/snapback]
This is a problem with the way they broadcast the station names in Holland. Mine works fine in the UK, but in Holland it doesn't. My guess it is because constantly changing information is sent, rather than the station name (i.e. traffic info).

BTW, Three weeks and still no car..
Old 04-30-2005, 04:08 AM
Contributors

Over four weeks now and still no car. The last thing I heard was that the computer that controls engine management gave out during the software update.

I am in Japan at the moment. I`ll return in a fortnight. If it`s not ready then they can keep it.. <_<
Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 30/11/04: 535d Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Hi-Fi, Rear M Spoiler, Headlamp Washer, Auto dim/folding mirrors, Grad tint screen, Aux input,

Gulp!

They took mine in on Wednesday for the retrofit. Saturday now and no car. I was told it would take a day.

It is also in for the squeaky windows and squeaky rear seat noise AGAIN.

It is also in for the third replacement alloy. The last two being due to their inability to change the tyre without scratching the rim.

I told them (from info on this forum) that they would need info from Germany to carry out the retrofit and they said that this was part of the delay.

Had the car five months of which it has been with them for over six weeks, between waitng for parts and going back to re-do the work they have previously tried to fix.....Don't get me started on the Aux Input fiasco.

It's a good job the car drives so well. But for a ?43k car it shouldn't have these kind of problems.

This whole system for updating the software seems to be a nightmare; the slightest glitch and they need to start over again!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

I had the VR retrofit this week. took about 2 hours and no problemo. Voice commands are currently in geman, but the will try to re-code to English.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

So what kind of commands are available then? And how many?

edit* found the list. duh..
Old 05-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

car was re-coded from German to UK English commands today and everything seems perfect now.

Frankly speaking it is quite funny to have yet another Brit in the car; hearing her accent she doesn't seem family from the nav voice girl though

BTW after recoding the car, the iDrive languages went from D, GB and F to GB, F and ES.

Interested to hear if all UK cars have this latter language choice setup.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Apr 9 2005, 10:53 AM
[quote name='530E60NL' date='Apr 8 2005, 09:53 AM']Sorry to hear the retrofit isn't ready yet. It took my dealer 5 days to to get it all in order.

Wanneer gaan we eten????
[snapback]112802[/snapback]
When the car is ready..

[snapback]113258[/snapback]
[/quote]
hi i also had the voice upgrade last week as part of a reprogram for a suspected problem on transmsmission .also delays on programing software 2days.seem to have now lost some options like aux input source although not fitted was there before ,the perspective view is now added,but maybe a problem now eith phone signal about to investigate that.no mp3 playing either.but a promise of reduced charge meant a bill of ?220.00 .......
Old 05-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 30/11/04: 535d Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Hi-Fi, Rear M Spoiler, Headlamp Washer, Auto dim/folding mirrors, Grad tint screen, Aux input,

Well i've got my car back yesterday and surprise, surprise the dealer says they were unable to make the retrofit work. They say they have had a problem with the 'part' and have submitted a report to BMW in Germany. I was given the impression from them, that there was a problem with the retrofits and it may take sometime to resolve. I was told the 'part' was now on back order

I'm not sure I buy this story. I thought the 'part' was the split switch and the rest was purely re-coding or is there a control box required, can anyone shed some light on this?

They have done the software upgrade (16.2)
Old 05-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by iDrive535dSport' date='May 4 2005, 08:57 AM
Well i've got my car back yesterday and surprise, surprise the dealer says they were unable to make the retrofit work. They say they have had a problem with the 'part' and have submitted a report to BMW in Germany. I was given the impression from them, that there was a problem with the retrofits and it may take sometime to resolve. I was told the 'part' was now on back order

I'm not sure I buy this story. I thought the 'part' was the split switch and the rest was purely re-coding or is there a control box required, can anyone shed some light on this?

They have done the software upgrade (16.2)
[snapback]123770[/snapback]
Sounds strange to me as the kit was retrofitted to my last car here in the Netherlands without any problem. (btw We can not order a E60/E61 with this kit so it must allways be retrofitted).

On the other hand Flowerfred also has huge problems with the retrofit in the UK and we are talking Bimmer software here so ...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Members

I had voice recognition retrofitted 2 weeks ago. The Dealer did need to upgrade software to 16.2 first (which needed doing for other reasons) as the car would not allow the retrofit to be done first!!
The retrofit kit is dead simple... just the split button to replace the menu button in the centre console, microphone in the headliner panel and wiring between the central computer and microphone. 1hr install or 2hr max as per BMW instructions.
Don't know why your Dealer is having problems.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Voice recognition retrofit in the UK