E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

vibration while driving...balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey Metallic, black leather interior, 172 wheels, 35% tint, comfort, cold weather package, logic 7

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='587303' date='May 23 2008, 11:56 PM
Is it lowered? What kind of suspension are you running...base or sport? This sounds awfully familiar. Do you feel like you are getting kicked under the seat....thumping?

Does your headrest on the passenger side do the cha cha as you drive at highway speed?

Sounds about right. I feel it in my legs and its not subtle otherwise Id let it be. Im stumped here, didnt know the car came with a massage chair. The car is all stock, premium package but nonsport suspension. From what I've read from your posts, it may have been your H&Rs that were causing the vibration, or was it your tires.

I just read some reviews for the Eagle RSA and they are atrocious, so maybe the tech is right and I have garbage tires even though they are perfectly balanced, a softer sidewall or something. The 21 score I got for both front tires on the roadforce, although not borderline is still on the high side. Dealer was reluctant to remount tires, didnt think it would have made a big difference.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Are you 100% certain everything is STILL stock?

You keep saying it's the tires, but they just told you there were ZERO issues with them, according to the best wheel balancer made. They are not out-of-round and have been completely balanced to perfection, twice! Now that the tires and wheels have been ruled out, you need to find out whether the suspension has other issues and if it was lowered. It turns out that all of my vibrations issues on my xi were not due to the tires at all but due to the lowering springs....and check this: Both front tires on my 19's were out-of-round according to the Hunter Road-Force balance.

However, even with this issue, I was able to eventually get a nice, smooth ride without changing them (except when slamming into expansions joints and other small curb type entrances). Front suspension issues usually translate into vibration in the steering wheel and column alone. Rear suspension issues cause the seats to vibrate, felt typically in the seat bottom. Body and frame problem are felt all over, in the entire body of the car.

I ask if your car was lowered because this was the reason I had all of my problems. I really don't want to give a dissertation again on bump stops if I don't have to. If you don't know the history of your car, you may not even know if it was lowered or not...and you'd have to have a mechanic check the springs to see if they are OEM or after-market. If it turns out the car was lowered, read this thread!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ump+stops\

If it wasn't lowered, did the mechanic thoroughly check every suspension component for issues, like worn bushings, bent tie-rods or control arms, wheel bearings, spindles, ball-joints, driveshaft, rotors, etc.? Does the car's suspension make any noise or sounds when driving? Are the tires wearing evenly? Does the steering wheel shimmy on braking? Does it only vibrate between 50-70mph? You said above that it started after crossing the tires...ever try re-rotating the tires, one side only, criss-cross, etc.?

And when you got this car, did you check do a background check on the car via Carfax? It could have been wrecked or a lemon or who knows what? If it was wrecked, the frame could be bent along with lots of other problems. We need more info here.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

Have you ever thought about changing out the control arms?

My bro got his new control arms for the front of his e46, he told me that

his bushings on his control arms are worn down and he said when he changes

it should ride smoother.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I've learned with BMW's is they're very picky with alingments and tires.

Very surprised the road force didn't tell them that it was the tires for sure. Those machines usually give out numbers that the wheels should be with in. But being that these cars are very picky it won't surprise me that if a tire or two came back towards the high end of being in compliance that it would cause issues in your BMW. Slight eneven tread wear can cause havoc on these cars with road noise.

How old are the tires? Do they have lots of treadwear left on them or are we talking within a year your going to need new ones? If your going to need new ones in the next year and you got a few bucks laying around get new tires(non-runflats) and have the peace of mind that chances are the problems are put behind you.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2005 525i Automatic Titanium Silver Metallic Built 01/2005 Delivery date 03/23/2005

Originally Posted by sigma' post='560355' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:32 AM
If you're still looking for the road force machines Hunter maintains a list of shops with one:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

I'm already getting tired of bringing in my car to the dealership for this vibration thing. Same problem, vibration can be felt between 60mph - 70mph and gets really intense between 70mph - 80mph. Until now, the dealership has not come up yet with a real solution.

The problem started the moment I drove off the car ( MY2008 528i ) from the dealership. I noticed the vibration between 60mph-70mph. Thinking the car had been sitting on the ship for quite a while, so maybe driving the car around for a week might fix it. After driving 1,100 miles, the vibration is still there so I scheduled it for service repair at the dealership. What the service dept did was they over inflated the tire hoping the "flat spot" ( as they thought it was ) would go away. Unfortunately, it did not go away, it got worst. The car vibrates intensely between 70mph-75mph then vibration fades at 85mph.

After driving 2,400 miles, I had the service department look at it again and this time they did a Hunter Road Force balancing on the tires. The vibration this time was a lot less than before at low speed between 60mph-70mph but then vibration intensifies between 70mph-80mph.

Two week ago, I went out of town on a 200 miles trip. The drive was very annoying & very tiring because the vibration occurs within highway speeds between 65mph-80mph. Three hours of vibration really wears me down.

I scheduled a service repair for the third time for the same vibration issue ( 4200 miles on the clock ) . My car has been sitting there on the dealership for three days already & the service advisor told me that they will try swapping wheels & tires.

If they can not fix it with a tire swap, then what's next ?

Anybody out there experiencing the same vibration problem on brand new E60 ?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='558913' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:47 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum! I think I am the reigning "vibration king" on this forum, or at least I was for almost a year. Vibrating steering wheel and/or seat, etc., are almost always due to the wheels and/or tires, especially on newer cars. I have forgotten how many balances and alignments I've had done in the past 11 months! It turned out it was something unrelated to the wheels or tires, but that's something you don't need to be concerned with...was a lowering springs issue. You don't have lowering springs do ya?

Anyway, either the wheels are out of balance, or you have a out-of-round (or badly worn tire) or bent wheel(s) or any combo of these. In most cases a wheel balance will fix your problem...at least it's where I'd start. If you still have the vibration or shimmy in the steering wheel around 50-70 mph, then I'd suspect a tire and/or wheel problem. You could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if you get a Hunter road-force wheel-balance. This will not only check your overall balance but will also determine if you have an out-of-round tire, bent wheel or both.

Alignments don't usually fix vibration of shimmy, but it's worth getting done if you are able to determine if it's been a while or if you notice uneven tire wear like heal-toe/saw-tooth wear, etc.

If the shimmy or vibration goes away at higher speeds and is not palpable at lower speeds, it's definitely a wheel balance or wheel/tire related issue. If the vibration is constant at all speeds, regardless....then it could be other suspension issues like worn struts, bushings, wheel bearings, etc. I don't know too much about that stuff, though.

One last question...Do you have OEM rims or after-market? And if they are not OEM, what kind are they? This could be your problem as well. If you do a search as suggested above, you'll probably see my saga of posts and threads related to my prior vibration issues.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I had vibration a lot on my 07 f150 king ranch the dealer balanced 3 times change dealer and the new dealer did a brake job they re shape the rotors. the vibration is gone ..
Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Netrax

when you brake is it soft and nice or do you feel a little bit of vibration?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2005 525i Automatic Titanium Silver Metallic Built 01/2005 Delivery date 03/23/2005

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='613273' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:22 PM
Netrax

when you brake is it soft and nice or do you feel a little bit of vibration?
The brakes are good, no vibration during braking

I did not have this vibration issue with my 2005 525i from day one till I sold it after three years.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Netrax525' post='613280' date='Jun 30 2008, 09:32 PM
The brakes are good, no vibration during braking

I did not have this vibration issue with my 2005 525i from day one till I sold it after three years.
I dont have it either on my e60 but like I said before I had it on my truck couple of weeks ago since I bought it .. it wasnt the balance, it was the brakes