E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration with my 166s

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought OEM M5 wheels & they look stunning!! Since i bought these used, the front right rim was bent & i got it fixed the same day. Only problem is that i still get this really annoying vibration that starts around 60 mph. I took it back to the place that fixed my rim before and the guy checked both rims and said they were not bent. Did any one ever have this problem? I'm thinking its something to do with the hub rings since it was also changed when the rims were. I was so used to the ride quality of the 17s i had before that this vibration is killing me! Any one have any idea what this could be??
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hub rings?

If the wheels are OEM 166's then there is no need for hub rings and it's not even possible to use them with the OEM 166 wheels.

Were the wheels rebalanced after they had been fixed? That's the thing I would start with. I guess someone would say that using a road force balancing machine will give the best results.

- Antti -
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ldesouza
I bought OEM M5 wheels & they look stunning!! Since i bought these used, the front right rim was bent & i got it fixed the same day. Only problem is that i still get this really annoying vibration that starts around 60 mph. I took it back to the place that fixed my rim before and the guy checked both rims and said they were not bent. Did any one ever have this problem? I'm thinking its something to do with the hub rings since it was also changed when the rims were. I was so used to the ride quality of the 17s i had before that this vibration is killing me! Any one have any idea what this could be??
Vibrations between 50-70mph typically indicate out of balance. Wheels for the E60 seem to be more difficult to balance, almost requiring a road force balance which gives you an optimal balance. BMW dealers only use roadforce.

Get the wheel road force balanced and it will most likely go away.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Contributors

I would get them rebalanced first with road force balancing.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Members

The wheels were all balanced but not using the "Road Force" balancing. I found a place close to my house that has that balancing machine so ill stop by & hopefully my troubles will be gone!

Didn't know the machine used would make such a big difference!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ldesouza
The wheels were all balanced but not using the "Road Force" balancing. I found a place close to my house that has that balancing machine so ill stop by & hopefully my troubles will be gone!

Didn't know the machine used would make such a big difference!
The Road Force machines are awesome. They can even detect small bends in the wheel/tire cupping etc. They are well worth the 20 dollars a wheel most places charge.

I'm pretty sure this will solve your problems.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

As Anzafin has said,if you have spigot rings then you do not have OEM wheels.If you bent a wheel what do you think it has done to a 0.75mm thick spigot ring?Are the rings plastic or metal? Whatever,fit a new one before wasting time and money on more balancing.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

I checked my wheels and they all have the BBS on the back. I really doubt they make replicas that good! Im 100% sure my wheels are OEM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

In that case, you don't have hubcentric rings either.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

if they are OEM wheels, you should not need hub rings, do you have hub rings on the wheels? if so, that might be causing your vibration...

+1 for getting a Road force balance as well....that should do it if you don't have hub rings and you are having vibrations and if all wheels are true/not bent....GL keep us posted...

Quick Reply: vibration with my 166s