E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Very Sckeptical right now

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:05 AM
[quote name='m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 03:56 PM'][quote name='ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 09:50 AM']
ipp:when I googled iDrive and BMW I found out that iDrive is programmed in Java.
there you go,

we just found the source of the problem with iDrive....MS doesnt like SUN Java, and always has conflicts as MS is still trying to bury SUN
[snapback]66967[/snapback]
yeah but what has this to do with Steve Jobs? And who said anything about MS? Not me...
[snapback]66977[/snapback]

Idrive is running Windows CE as the OS system

as for Steve...I wish they went with MAC (UNIX), much more reliable and not prone to all these bugs
[snapback]66979[/snapback]
[/quote]
ok, I don't agree. I like OS X, it's pretty reliable, but not better than XP. On my firm we have a couple of IBM ThinkPads an a couple of PoweBook G4s. I will stick with my XP computer util that day there is ONE thing you can do with your Mac wich you can't with your XP machine... ooooh no I didn't want to go here...
[snapback]66984[/snapback]
[/quote]

now what are U smoking over there????

XP is more reliable that X?????

there are HUNDRED things that my MAC can do that a PC cannot, plus I never have to worry about security patches, viruses, Java incompatabilty, or pop up annoyances
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 04:13 PM
[quote name='ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:05 AM'][quote name='m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 03:56 PM'][quote name='ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 09:50 AM']
ipp:when I googled iDrive and BMW I found out that iDrive is programmed in Java.
there you go,

we just found the source of the problem with iDrive....MS doesnt like SUN Java, and always has conflicts as MS is still trying to bury SUN
[snapback]66967[/snapback]
yeah but what has this to do with Steve Jobs? And who said anything about MS? Not me...
[snapback]66977[/snapback]

Idrive is running Windows CE as the OS system

as for Steve...I wish they went with MAC (UNIX), much more reliable and not prone to all these bugs
[snapback]66979[/snapback]
[/quote]
ok, I don't agree. I like OS X, it's pretty reliable, but not better than XP. On my firm we have a couple of IBM ThinkPads an a couple of PoweBook G4s. I will stick with my XP computer util that day there is ONE thing you can do with your Mac wich you can't with your XP machine... ooooh no I didn't want to go here...
[snapback]66984[/snapback]
[/quote]

now what are U smoking over there????

XP is more reliable that X?????

there are HUNDRED things that my MAC can do that a PC cannot, plus I never have to worry about security patches, viruses, Java incompatabilty, or pop up annoyances
[snapback]66986[/snapback]
[/quote]
there are HUNDRED things that my MAC can do that a PC
name ONE!!! it's funny, no one has ever answered this question...
I never have to worry about security patches, viruses, Java incompatabilty, or pop up annoyances
that's funny too, not me either! have you heard about window update and SP2?

I don't want this battle, I really don't. OS X i great, i know. Since my company is developing software I know that you are pretty restricted when you are using a Mac. And since we want to develope our software to the majority of the market (not to the 6% Apple users) we are using PCs for that.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:23 AM
that's funny too, not me either! have you heard about window update and SP2?

I don't want this battle, I really don't. OS X i great, i know. Since my company is developing software I know that you are pretty restricted when you are using a Mac. And since we want to develope our software to the majority of the market (not to the 6% Apple users) we are using PCs for that.
[snapback]66988[/snapback]
absolutely understood, as a business, of course that makes the most sense...MAC is a tiny market, but I sort of feel like its the same type of community as BMWs...

just wish that the reliability of the PC's was near the MAC reliability...
Old 12-09-2004, 06:29 AM
JDN
Contributors

The service manager at Sandy Sansing BMW in Pensacola told me that BMW would be upgrading five customers at a time to speed up the software upgrades.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:39 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

just wish that the reliability of the PC's was near the MAC reliability...
[snapback]66991[/snapback]

The Mac is a more user friendly machine. The UNIX platform is stable. And the system doesn't allow the user to make stupid things without root access, that's good. The performance i OK, but not best. Since im driving a BMW you know I like design, and the Mac:s looks awesome! Last week I eaven bought a iPob Mini.

But since the Mac doesn't allow me to do my work, i'll stick to my PC.

I think the PC vs Mac discussion is stupid. People can buy what they want. It's like the Audi, Merc and BMW discussion.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 9 2004, 06:30 AM
Germans are not known for their proficiency with electronics.

They build good engines.? Not good computers.

These new cars are basically computers on wheels.
[snapback]66953[/snapback]
This really isn't valid. They don't make the computer. They should be getting the CCC unit from Taiwan, built to their specs designed by engineers in Silicon Valley. This I believe is the case.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Members

We don't know for a fact that your car was down for two weeks because of software. Is it possible that the dealer mechanics simply weren't following proper procedure and were creating more problems than they were solving. One thing for sure is the new 5 and new 7 are not easy cars to work on. It seems like most of the dealership mechanics that I've run into are not up to speed on how to repair them.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 9 2004, 10:00 AM
This really isn't valid.? They don't make the computer.? They should be getting the CCC unit from Taiwan,? built to their specs designed by engineers in Silicon Valley.? This I believe is the case.
[snapback]67005[/snapback]
I concur 110%. Taiwan is the back-stage miracle worker in todays glitzzy electronic/computer world.

That "MADE IN TAIWAN" tag in your electronic componentries is now, a synonym for quality. Go Taiwan!
Old 12-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Dec 9 2004, 11:01 AM
We don't know for a fact that your car was down for two weeks because of software.? Is it possible that the dealer mechanics simply weren't following proper procedure and were creating more problems than they were solving.? One thing for sure is the new 5 and new 7 are not easy cars to work on.? It seems like most of the dealership mechanics that I've run into are not up to speed on how to repair them.
[snapback]67006[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%!!! Some service advisors/managers are lacking E60 knowledge and education too. I've gone though 2 double sw upgrades because of their stupidity.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

As with any complicated system and dealer's with poor management, it will take several years for all the dealers and employees to understand enough about the computers to be competent. Most mechanics are not computer oriented.

Quick Reply: Very Sckeptical right now