5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Very Sckeptical right now (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/very-sckeptical-right-now-5249/)

bturkel 12-09-2004 04:22 AM

BOught a 2004 530 11m miles - sports/prem pkg, parktronic, nav, aux iaudio input, xm commander non rf - I love the car - took it in for the 1st software update and it took two weeks and two new modules tcu and the cpu module where replaced - got the car back seemed fine - now the nav doe snot work - car has wrong direction for north and the direction of travel is incorrect - I am taking it back in tuesday - i hav eowned 7 BMS' by far thi sis the first time i will have been with out one for more than 2 days - what is the problem with these cars.

subterFUSE 12-09-2004 04:30 AM

Germans are not known for their proficiency with electronics.

They build good engines. Not good computers.

These new cars are basically computers on wheels.

maylander739 12-09-2004 04:41 AM

Due to the amount of programming and electronics in these new cars, its very hard to let it go on the market without any bugs and errors. The most common operating systems in the world (windows), have the same problems.

Maylander739

m630 12-09-2004 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by maylander739' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:41 AM
Due to the amount of programming and electronics in these new cars, its very hard to let it go on the market without any bugs and errors.? The most common operating systems in the world (windows), have the same problems.

Maylander739
[snapback]66955[/snapback]

thats my problem with this situation, BMW's are not common cars, why would they use the most common and troublesome OS??? :whistle:

Steve Jobs where are you when we need you??? :devil:

Guest 12-09-2004 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:49 AM
[quote name='maylander739' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:41 AM']Due to the amount of programming and electronics in these new cars, its very hard to let it go on the market without any bugs and errors.? The most common operating systems in the world (windows), have the same problems.

Maylander739

thats my problem with this situation, BMW's are not common cars, why would they use the most common and troublesome OS??? :whistle:

[snapback]66957[/snapback]
[/quote]
don't even go there....

ipp 12-09-2004 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:49 AM
[quote name='maylander739' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:41 AM']Due to the amount of programming and electronics in these new cars, its very hard to let it go on the market without any bugs and errors.? The most common operating systems in the world (windows), have the same problems.

Maylander739

[/quote]
don't even go there....

when I googled iDrive and BMW I found out that iDrive is programmed in Java.

m630 12-09-2004 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:57 AM
[quote name='m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:49 AM'][quote name='maylander739' date='Dec 9 2004, 08:41 AM']Due to the amount of programming and electronics in these new cars, its very hard to let it go on the market without any bugs and errors.? The most common operating systems in the world (windows), have the same problems.

Maylander739

[/quote]
don't even go there....

when I googled iDrive and BMW I found out that iDrive is programmed in Java.
[snapback]66962[/snapback]
[/quote]

there you go, :o

we just found the source of the problem with iDrive....MS doesnt like SUN Java, and always has conflicts as MS is still trying to bury SUN :devil:

ipp 12-09-2004 05:50 AM

ipp:when I googled iDrive and BMW I found out that iDrive is programmed in Java.

we just found the source of the problem with iDrive....MS doesnt like SUN Java, and always has conflicts as MS is still trying to bury SUN :devil:
[snapback]66967[/snapback]

yeah but what has this to do with Steve Jobs? And who said anything about MS? Not me...

m630 12-09-2004 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 09:50 AM

ipp:when I googled iDrive and BMW I found out that iDrive is programmed in Java.

yeah but what has this to do with Steve Jobs? And who said anything about MS? Not me...
[snapback]66977[/snapback]

Idrive is running Windows CE as the OS system :wow:

as for Steve...I wish they went with MAC (UNIX), much more reliable and not prone to all these bugs :whistle:

ipp 12-09-2004 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 9 2004, 03:56 PM
[quote name='ipp' date='Dec 9 2004, 09:50 AM']

[snapback]66977[/snapback]

Idrive is running Windows CE as the OS system :wow:

as for Steve...I wish they went with MAC (UNIX), much more reliable and not prone to all these bugs :whistle:
[snapback]66979[/snapback]
[/quote]
ok, I don't agree. I like OS X, it's pretty reliable, but not better than XP. On my firm we have a couple of IBM ThinkPads an a couple of PoweBook G4s. I will stick with my XP computer util that day there is ONE thing you can do with your Mac wich you can't with your XP machine... ooooh no I didn't want to go here... :o

Idrive is running Windows CE as the OS system? :wow:
yeah, in the 7-series, not in the 5,6-series.