E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Very sad news

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Sorry about your loss. I hope it's a complete loss, so you get a new one.

Police are now recommending that you don't leave your keys in easy reach inside your house. It's quite obvious, and for that reason I always kept my keys out of sight.

Lots of people have a key rack right next to the door. Easy pickings.

If your car means nothing to you, then it's fine to rely on insurance. But if you have a car which does mean something to you, then it's different. I used to have a Porsche sitting in the drive. Leaving the keys in easy reach when the house is empty is a bit different to when you're car is only at home when you are.

Also unless the culprit is caught, your insurance claim is "at fault", and it can affect your premium/NCD.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

alohalc, yep you're right. I forgot about the BMW Assist not tracking....

Maybe the thief will try something dumb and use the SOS button. Dumber things have happened... (but probably not!)
Old 10-23-2004, 05:30 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Oct 23 2004, 04:36 PM
I'm leaving my keys at the door.. If they want to steal them.. take em and leave me alone when I am in my bed..

Insurance will cover this as long as they broke into my house and take em..
[snapback]48491[/snapback]
If you wanted to make it easy for burglars, you could hang the keys on a nail outside the front door. Thieves can enter my house at night, but they enter at their own risk. If they get past the perimeter alarm, then there is the interior alarm system and after that . . . Texas law applies.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Bummer about you loss.

FWIW, I think I remember another thread talking about the MY05 cars being able to be tracked without anything being initiated from the car.

Hope the insurance company takes good care of you and you get yourself back in the saddle real soon!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Members

Im glad i got the boomerang system! sorry for your loss though, it really sucks!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Maybe have the leasing co. install a lojack on your new ride.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Members

Very sorry to hear that. But good news is yours are covered by the insurance. ,
Old 10-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 01:45 PM
alohalc, yep you're right. I forgot about the BMW Assist not tracking....

Maybe the thief will try something dumb and use the SOS button. Dumber things have happened... (but probably not!)
[snapback]48553[/snapback]
or let's hope that jerk got into an accident and totalled the car. that will trigger bmw assist, police come arrest him/her, and insurance pay for the car .
Old 10-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Oct 23 2004, 11:06 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 01:45 PM']alohalc, yep you're right. I forgot about the BMW Assist not tracking....

or let's hope that jerk got into an accident and totalled the car. that will trigger bmw assist, police come arrest him/her, and insurance pay for the car .
[snapback]48630[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks again .
Your partecipation is very warm and it will help me to see positive for the future.
On my next car I will oblige the renting company to install satellite antitheft with remote control via sms, so what it will be possible to turn off the engine sending an sms and obviously to have the tracking feature both to a specialized call center both the car can send an sms to me with geographical coordinates.

Ricky

P.S. asap I have to change my avatar that is a real picture of my beloved
Old 10-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ricky' date='Oct 23 2004, 07:32 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Oct 23 2004, 11:06 PM'][quote name='gdavis' date='Oct 23 2004, 01:45 PM']alohalc, yep you're right. I forgot about the BMW Assist not tracking....

[snapback]48630[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks again .
Your partecipation is very warm and it will help me to see positive for the future.
On my next car I will oblige the renting company to install satellite antitheft with remote control via sms, so what it will be possible to turn off the engine sending an sms and obviously to have the tracking feature both to a specialized call center both the car can send an sms to me with geographical coordinates.

Ricky

P.S. asap I have to change my avatar that is a real picture of my beloved
[snapback]48632[/snapback]
[/quote]
you are very welcome . not much i can do but just help you ease the pain :'(. as long as the insurance company told you they are going to pay for the car, everything is pretty much settled. all you need to think is what kind of options you want for your new ride .

Quick Reply: Very sad news