E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

very rough on cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Mine does it as well. Sounds like my old '64 vette (327 cid with a Holley 4 barrel) did before it warmed up. I actually kind of like it. Is it bad?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Interesting ... I personally haven't noticed any irregular idling on cold-start with my 550i. I've reached 7700 miles and not one glitch/problem with the car has occurred. I do notice that after a minute of cold-idle at 1200 rpm, the revs drop to 600-700 rpm (I'm sure that's part of the programming) but the car continues to idle smoothly. Once completely warmed up, idle is 500 rpm with clutch pedal released; 600 rpm with clutch depressed.

I don't know if having a manual transmission may play a part. Seems that those with PRNDL are experiencing this glitch. However 'markt540i' seems to have the same experience with his manual as I am.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

Picked up my 545 (manual tranny) in Munich and drove it around for 2500 miles POETRY IN MOTION!

After about 8 months (12,000 miles) it started to vibrate, you can feel it ever so slightly in the seat at higher speeds and at lower speeds it's way more noticeable and on going. When the engine is cold it always has a hick up when shifting from one to two and there is always a moment after about a three quarters of a mile where it sort of stalls for a second.

Very agrevating, have had it in twice for service but all I get from the tech. is "could not duplicate". It's kind of impossible to convince a service rep there is a problem when they most likely don't drive BMW and have nothing to compare to.

It's annoying the heck out of me, that I'm driving a $65,000 car with a hick-up and a shake. Next step is going to BMW NA
Old 05-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mlahti' post='278865' date='May 6 2006, 09:15 PM
Picked up my 545 (manual tranny) in Munich and drove it around for 2500 miles POETRY IN MOTION!

After about 8 months (12,000 miles) it started to vibrate, you can feel it ever so slightly in the seat at higher speeds and at lower speeds it's way more noticeable and on going. When the engine is cold it always has a hick up when shifting from one to two and there is always a moment after about a three quarters of a mile where it sort of stalls for a second.

Very agrevating, have had it in twice for service but all I get from the tech. is "could not dublicate". It's kind of impossible to convince a service rep there is a problem when they most likely don't drive BMW and have nothing to compare to.

It's annoying the heck out of me, that I'm driving a $65,000 car with a hick-up and a shake. Next step is going to BMW NA
I would consider changing tech's, because if he can't spell duplicate...how can he find an engine problem?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='278751' date='May 6 2006, 10:13 AM
Quick update on a coldstart. The engine seems to rumble when idling at slightly over 1K. After a few minutes, its smooth and rpms drop to a bit over 500. If you rev gradual from 500 rpms, it seems rough until reaching 2K. Any thoughts? I need to try this when its completely warm.

So lads and 550 lovers, so WTHey :'( should we do????????????????????????????

1) Make sure we have the CIP 20 or 21 update?

2) Point the finger at Valvetronic and get after our SAs?

3) Enjoy the burble in the morning as our catalytic converters warm up?

4) Try different gasoline?

Its seems the #1 CIP route didn't work. Not buying this. The #2 valvetronic route would be a bitch with many tough exchanges with SAs and days in the shop. I'd wait for my E60 to blowup instead and one could assume you'd feel it getting worse before the final blast. Of course the drawback to #3 is gradual engine damage occurs as we drive. Not likely, but no one wants to comprise accerelation stats and any bit of performance in general. As for #4, my car ran great in Germany and I'm sure the gas is better there. That said, I can't add much as I was giddy as hell and in la la land. However, we remember a slight and quickly dissappearing vibration while driving after a coldstart. I'll assume it was an issue then.

Right now, I go with #3. Anybody want to dissuade me????
CVT Benhogan
I agree...this is just not an issue to me.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Contributors

OK boys and girls. spent some time with the regional people at BMW today. THey are WELL aware of the rough idle when first starting the 550i. I don't remember the specific technical jargon, but basically it boils down to this: The car runs very lean. this is how they can get better MPG for you and the EPA. Since startup consumes a large amount of gasoline, this is where the biggest savings come from. Once warm, about 30-40 seconds after starting, the roughness goes away.

Bottom line - nothing can be done about it.

However, in my case, I seem to also bogg down at traffic lights .. this seems unrelated.

anyone else?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by wassy' post='279957' date='May 9 2006, 11:47 AM
OK boys and girls. spent some time with the regional people at BMW today. THey are WELL aware of the rough idle when first starting the 550i. I don't remember the specific technical jargon, but basically it boils down to this: The car runs very lean. this is how they can get better MPG for you and the EPA. Since startup consumes a large amount of gasoline, this is where the biggest savings come from. Once warm, about 30-40 seconds after starting, the roughness goes away.

Bottom line - nothing can be done about it.

However, in my case, I seem to also bogg down at traffic lights .. this seems unrelated.

anyone else?

Hi Wassy,

You stuck in heavy traffic?

Are you in D or DS mode? In D the car stays in a higher gear longer and rumbles along (upshifts can be quick). My guess is the tranny thinks your poking along and not aggressive. Try a more aggressive style and see if the car gets more active (of course this will be habit forming and mpg is f'd). If I'm just loafing along, the car seems to get less responsive and has boggyness in the throttle in the 15 to 25 mph range. The beast can behave.

That said, got to love a good DS launch from a stoplight. "Dont worry honey, I always count to five before slamming on the brakes. So quit nagging me about the cops!"

CVT Benhogan
Old 05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by mlahti' post='278865' date='May 6 2006, 08:15 PM

Very agrevating, have had it in twice for service but all I get from the tech. is "could not duplicate". It's kind of impossible to convince a service rep there is a problem when they most likely don't drive BMW and have nothing to compare to.

I've got the vibrating occasionally -I think it is the torque converter as I only notice it when accelerating.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

My 550i has had the rough idle on start-up since new in December 2005. It will idle roughly for about 20-30 seconds and then slow from around 1,100 RPM to 700-800 RPM and be quite smooth. If I try to back out of my garage while it is still idling roughly, it is a very balky, lumpy trip back. I had my car in the shop not too long after I took delivery to deal with this situation. The CIP upgrade to 20.01 was supposed to address this specific issue. Sadly, the same condition persists. I have grown to just live with it until they have a better solution. It is not that big a deal to wait for 20-30 seconds before backing out of my garage. I now have about 4800 miles on my car. Once warmed up, the car will run like a scalded cat, if you stand on the go pedal.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='280117' date='May 9 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Wassy,

You stuck in heavy traffic?

Are you in D or DS mode? In D the car stays in a higher gear longer and rumbles along (upshifts can be quick). My guess is the tranny thinks your poking along and not aggressive. Try a more aggressive style and see if the car gets more active (of course this will be habit forming and mpg is f'd). If I'm just loafing along, the car seems to get less responsive and has boggyness in the throttle in the 15 to 25 mph range. The beast can behave.

That said, got to love a good DS launch from a stoplight. "Dont worry honey, I always count to five before slamming on the brakes. So quit nagging me about the cops!"

CVT Benhogan
mostly highway for me, and on local roads, with lights, not much traffic. but even when fully warmed up, the car shakes and kicks as I stop at a light. There are times where, when driving slower (20-40), the car just starts bouncing like it has a bad balance or there is a small rock in the tire. it is very odd indeed. I love the car, 3rd E60, but aren't cars and technology supposed to get better as the years go by?

Quick Reply: very rough on cold start up