E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Very Odd behaviour with washers ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 306 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by arz
I did some googling and it seems its controlled by the KBM - Basic Body Control Module - living in the glove box area -
stalk talks to KBM - and KBM activates the washer motor

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e64/tis_ro...e%20System.pdf

the wiring works - as the pump runs when the rear wiper is activated - a used KBM is a fraction of the price of a reader - so i may go that route
I'd guess at replacing the stalk before choosing to replace the KBM. Need to do a proper diagnosis before you end up spending more than you'd like to, to fix the issue. Buying a reader pays dividends down the road, buying a module you don't need is just a waist.

No true enthusiast will guess at an issue because it will have you waisting money. Having the code assists the forum to help you save time and money. Heck even if you don't want to spend the money on a reader buy one on Amazon and return it before the 30 days. At least you'll see if there is indeed a code.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:50 AM
arz
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw 520d lci touring - 58 plate

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I'd guess at replacing the stalk before choosing to replace the KBM. Need to do a proper diagnosis before you end up spending more than you'd like to, to fix the issue. Buying a reader pays dividends down the road, buying a module you don't need is just a waist.

No true enthusiast will guess at an issue because it will have you waisting money. Having the code assists the forum to help you save time and money. Heck even if you don't want to spend the money on a reader buy one on Amazon and return it before the 30 days. At least you'll see if there is indeed a code.
I understand.
is there a recommended reader - known good for the E60/E61?
do they also code modules if needed - or is that only via INSTA and alike?
Old 01-04-2023, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 306 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I'm not familiar with the smaller ones but I know a lot of people get the BMW Foxwell 510 readers. The reader I have will flash, code and program but I don't recommend that for you because the price of it isn't beneficial for you unless you work on multiple cars.

Honestly I feel if you are willing to pay $150 for a reader and the only thing you are going work on is your daily BMW it's more cost efficient to buy a used Dell Latitude off eBay for under $100 and put ISTA and BMW software tools on it. That's what I do. I call it a throw away laptop. Once one breaks I buy another one. Then again I work on BMWs and other foreign cars but even if you own one car the laptop will save you money the first time it's needed just by diagnostics alone.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:03 AM
arz
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw 520d lci touring - 58 plate

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I'm not familiar with the smaller ones but I know a lot of people get the BMW Foxwell 510 readers. The reader I have will flash, code and program but I don't recommend that for you because the price of it isn't beneficial for you unless you work on multiple cars.

Honestly I feel if you are willing to pay $150 for a reader and the only thing you are going work on is your daily BMW it's more cost efficient to buy a used Dell Latitude off eBay for under $100 and put ISTA and BMW software tools on it. That's what I do. I call it a throw away laptop. Once one breaks I buy another one. Then again I work on BMWs and other foreign cars but even if you own one car the laptop will save you money the first time it's needed just by diagnostics alone.
thanks - yep- this was exactly what i was reasoning - if the cheap readers doe not also program modules - then i may as well buy a used laptop to run INSTA on

i have a very old lenovo that runs Windows XP that i keep soley to talk to the ECU in my other car - a honda engine swap
but i think INSTA needs windows 7 or later - will have to check the disc i have