E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very irritating problem with ZF automatic transmission.. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2004 530d with automatic transmission and 50.000 on the klock.

my problem is the gearbox. Normaly it shifts smoothly and nice at comfy low revs when i drive normaly i "D"

But sometimes the automatic transmission changes mode (with gearlever in "D") and start to use first gear A LOT!

and keep on in 1st gear up to 2500-3000 rpm whit very jerky shifts. the box is reluctant to shift and this is not affected by how my throttle use... even if i want to drive nice and slow.

i might add that the engine-note changes somewhat when this problem occurs.

I apologize for spelling erros and such.. I am from norway and i am very frustrated!!

please write som thoughts... im going out of my mind thinking about this,.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Have you ever had a software update? If not, you probably should try it. The early versions of the engine and transmission management software had some problems that have since been corrected.

Use the search feature of this site to get more details. There have been many discussions.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to dealer and complain the issue and ask them to perform software update
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='277273' date='May 3 2006, 05:42 AM
Go to dealer and complain the issue and ask them to perform software update
Agreed - I had similar problems and the software update has made it a lot better...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

This sounds like a software issue. Go to your dealer and let them install the latest software.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Is it related to the weird and undocumented mode where the 530d uses lower gears for a period (to cleanse the catalyst or filters or something). Tends to be more noticable for being extremely reluctant to use 6th, but accompanied by different engine note and very hot when stop
Old 05-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='277676' date='May 3 2006, 10:50 PM
Is it related to the weird and undocumented mode where the 530d uses lower gears for a period (to cleanse the catalyst or filters or something). Tends to be more noticable for being extremely reluctant to use 6th, but accompanied by different engine note and very hot when stop
This is for the newer models that have the particulate filter. The models with down-turned exhausts (i.e. mine) do not do this...

Mine never likes 6th - I'm always in manual mode on motorways!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

This mode does apply to my May 04 530d, which as you say does have the particle filter.
I find the kickdown over sensitive for such a torquey engine so also use manual most of the time on motorway and cross country - D only around town
Old 05-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it sounds like the particle filter cleaning as written above.
however what I wanted to point out is the fact that you have 50k km on the car and no problem with the tranny so far.... only now. so I doubt it is a software issue. 50k km is enough to "test" your car
Old 05-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Members

Hi.

thanks for answers..

Where can I find out about this strange mode. It really sonds like it, because the exhaust is really hot.. and the engine changes its note just like "new kid" described. Will my Authorized BMW-dealer know what i mena if I present them this theory ?

I have been away for some time and i havent had time to take the car in for a service, but i talked to the BMW dealer some days ago and he sad they had to experience the problem for them selves before they could do something. This is a problem for me because the problems only occur sometimes.

I thought this was a known problen and I had expected better service. Right now i just hate BMW!

Quick Reply: Very irritating problem with ZF automatic transmission.. HELP!!