E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERY IMPORTANT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by kapusta' post='864898' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:43 PM
I use the one build into the BMW. I just copy the mp3 files directly onto the CD and play them back on the standard BMW CD. at 1x decoding speed all mp3 decoders are wonderful including the BMW one. They start to break down when you asked them to decode at higher speeds - speeds that they were not designed for in the first place.
I thought we were talking about creating audio CDs here. MP3s and CDs have to be decoded at 1x to sound the way they were intended any higher and you will be hearing alvin and the chipmunks

The ISO/IEC 11172-3 standard results in virtually identical bitstream from an MP3 decoder so there should be little difference from the output of any MP3 decoder. As i said before data CDs are using a different format with more error correction than audio CDs. Although recording speed it an issue, you need a reliable recording, its the bitrate that is more likey to cause skipping or the inability to play for an MP3 cd in the E60. Higher bitrates, although sounding better, demand more memory and faster processor speed something the e60 has a limited supply of.

Personally I prefer burning audio CDs so I can move them to the CD changer and I try to avoid MP3 even as a source because the artifacts sound wheezy to me.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

All depends on the CDR specs, both the disc and the burner. Follow the recommended and you'll be fine.

Just because you can burn it at the slowest does not make it the best.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kapusta' post='864923' date='May 1 2009, 12:02 AM
Read my original reply, the issue is not with the data or the burning process. It is with the re-creation of the data prior to burning. Prior to burning your compressed (MP3, WMA etc.) audio needs to be decompressed. Since MP3 is a lossy compression, the "decompression" or decoding of the audio will never equal the original one and the re-created audio quality will vary depending on the decompressor.
Yes 'Kapusta' I am with you...
Old 05-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Members

Or just get an Ipod dock.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by chris f' post='865198' date='May 1 2009, 10:49 AM
Or just get an Ipod dock.
I'm working on it
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Alpine White

It's been said in the thread, but the burn speed has absolutely no effect on the audio quality of audio or mp3 CDs. Burning at a low speed will reduce the likelihood of write errors. If you have a disc with errors, it's going to skip. An error free disc will not sound better, louder, clearer or anything, it just won't skip. It's similar to the discussions of expensive digital cables (HDMI). A digital signal does not degrade, it's either working or it's not.

I've had no skipping with any discs I've burned for my E60 at full speed. Improved burners and burning software have made the burning process much more reliable than in the early years. Your media can play a role in causing errors. If you are getting errors, try different media. There are many discussions on-line about the best manufacturers of media.

E60714 - The program you're talking about is dbPowerAmp. It's a great utility for mp3 encoding. I've been using it for years.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

It\'s been said in the thread, but the burn speed has absolutely no effect on the audio quality of audio or mp3 CDs. Burning at a low speed will reduce the likelihood of write errors. If you have a disc with errors, it\'s going to skip. An error free disc will not sound better, louder, clearer or anything, it just won\'t skip. It\'s similar to the discussions of expensive digital cables (HDMI). A digital signal does not degrade, it\'s either working or it\'s not.

I\'ve had no skipping with any discs I\'ve burned for my E60 at full speed. Improved burners and burning software have made the burning process much more reliable than in the early years. Your media can play a role in causing errors. If you are getting errors, try different media. There are many discussions on-line about the best manufacturers of media.

E60714 - The program you\'re talking about is dbPowerAmp. It\'s a great utility for mp3 encoding. I\'ve been using it for years.
Audio CDs are uncompressed.
Your audio files on your hard drive most likely are. (mp3 etc.)
When you're burning an audio CD, the burning software has to decode your compressed audio files while it\'s writing them to disk. If you\'re burning them at 48x then the software has to decode them at 48x their playback speed, and depending on your CPU speed and decoder efficiency, the software may decide to decode at lower quality to keep up with the burn speed.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

woah this thread hurt my eyeballs and brain! too much technical talk.. ugh