E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Valet Parking Damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

In most jurisdictions, corporations must appear in small claims court by an attorney. Sue them. If they don't show up with an attorney, but send a manager, he's there to settle with you because he can't try the case.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

I have panic attacks and drive my wife crazy with anxiety when I use a valet, so I have just stopped. Most recently and the last time was in Niagara Falls in Canada. Nothing happened but I thought about it all the time since cars were in and out of the hotel all day and night. I gotta wonder why I would i entrust my car to someone who in no way has the same appreciation for it that I do. While you may have circumstances where you have no choice, it's illogical.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

As soon as a car becomes so precious that I can't use it, it becomes a PITA. I valet park my car because it's a car and it's main purpose is to take me places and that includes valet parking. It's fixable.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Sorry about the damage.
I always drop the valet guy a tip on the way in for a special event (dinner) to guarantee that my car is treated well.
Human nature is to not care about other people's property.
The extra $5 goes a long way (unless it is the valet guy from Ferris Bueler's Day Off). I think of it as "insurance."
Does anyone else take this same approach?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

I don't believe we are saying we dont use the cars, quite the contrary, but are just careful about where we leave it. Highway pitting is unavoidable, a dumbass valet is very avoidable. Diff'rent strokes.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='981307' date='Aug 18 2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry about the damage.
I always drop the valet guy a tip on the way in for a special event (dinner) to guarantee that my car is treated well.
Human nature is to not care about other people's property.
The extra $5 goes a long way (unless it is the valet guy from Ferris Bueler's Day Off). I think of it as "insurance."
Does anyone else take this same approach?
Yes ... but only on those rare situations when I actually let ANYONE else (except immediate family - and they know I'll go ballistic if so much as a new bug splat shows up!) drive my cars.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i could never trust a valet guy, who probably drives a beater car, and then hand over the keys to your nice car over to him. if you do, inspect before and after though.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

I never valet as well. if I know the car needs to be valeted, I bring the SUV.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='981325' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:16 PM
I never valet as well. if I know the car needs to be valeted, I bring the SUV.
+1. Why would you pay to have some stranger park your nice car? If you're going to valet, drive up in something you don't care about.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Update - I filed a claim with Colonial Parking which was promptly rejected in writing. No surprise. I called the general council who wrote the letter and explained that this was too $$$ for me to just let go. My intention was to contact DC Metro Police and file a hit and run report. My next course of action was to file a case in small claims court. I explained I was prepared to present a sworn affidavit that the car entered the garage with no damage and I was in sole possession of the car until the damage was discovered.

She asked me for a few days to investigate the claim further before I filed. I agreed to let her perform due diligence before I go thermonuclear in the court system.

Do you think the hit and run report is prudent?
Is there an attorney out there who has an opinion on how I will make out in small claims court?

I'm mad as hell and not taking this lying down!!!

Quick Reply: Valet Parking Damage