E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Vadal or pure Accident

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Subject should be Vandal or pure Accident.

Okay, first off I rarely ever drive my car in grass or dirt. I'm also one of those guys that notices everything and have even pointed out to others damage that they were completely unaware of (low tire pressure, etc.) Well I know this had to happen today. But was it a vandal or merely accidental road debris from an accident. Note: I do have an A-hole for a neighbor.

So after returning from the gym and getting ready to take my dog to PetSmart I notice something sticking out of my tire. It looks like this with less than half inside the tire:

After saying a few words I can't include in this note I take the plastic piece out and listen for air. No air! I then drip water on the hole to see if it bubbles at all - nothing. Here is a pic of the hole:

Now this piece was less than have way in the tire and barely an 1/8 of an inch back from the sidewall. It was actually bulged out some and appeared to be just inside the sidewall. It didn't fell like it was deep enough to touch any steel belts or cap plies. It came out VERY easy. Notice the point it comes to on all sides:

This is how it probably got placed if it was a vandal:

I always back up out of my parking spot, but again, it could have been road debris.

Regardless if it was an accident or not my concern is the damage to the tire. Again, there appears to be no air leaking from the tire. I've only had these wheels for maybe 4 months and there's tons of meat still on the tire. I feel like if I take it to a tire shop they're immediately going to tell me to replace it. What do you guys think?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Contributors

It looks like a piece of glass that spent a lot of time getting eroded by road traffic and weather. I too have been amazed how nails and other road debris can seem to jump up and enter tires at the oddest of angles. About two years ago one tire on my wife's Rav4 was punctured by a ... ready for this ...
A carpenter's pencil ... go figure. I must admit my first reaction was that someone stuck it in the tread when it the car was parked ...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

You're right, it is amazing what ends up in our tires. I'm just worried about the tire now. I plan to watch it and check my tire pressure over the next few days. I'm just concerned about having to replace it which means I would need to replace to other rear tire too probably?? I know my tires are rated for speeds I would never do in my car, but since the damage is along side the sidewall, do I have a real concern even if it never leaks?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you'd be amazed at the things that get kicked up on roads. i'm guessing its your rear tire. maybe the front tire kicked up the piece just right, and the rear tire hit it when it was vertical.

if its not leaking, i wouldnt worry about it. and if it does leak, no tire shop will patch it due to the hole being too close to the sidewall.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Looks like road debris and not a vandal. If it is not leaking air, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Contributors

No leaks that I can speak of. I'll check the tire again in the morning.

Originally Posted by turboawd
you'd be amazed at the things that get kicked up on roads. i'm guessing its your rear tire. maybe the front tire kicked up the piece just right, and the rear tire hit it when it was vertical.

if its not leaking, i wouldnt worry about it. and if it does leak, no tire shop will patch it due to the hole being too close to the sidewall.
Your right, it is the driver rear tire.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

this might be a completely crazy idea but if its not leaking, which means the tire is okay, try putting some kind of adhesive in the hole, like krazy glue i don't know if krazy glue can damage the tire (i doubt it) but i do know that it bonds rubber really well...

idk, it might be worth a shot

i used it once on another car where i practically sliced into the sidewall, pretty deep too.... i stuck it back together with krazy glue and never had a problem after... the tire was still good after 3 years
Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

yeah gluing the hole is not a bad idea. it will keep debris out of the hole.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

You wouldnt believe what i've seen in tires. Rail road spikes, wrenches, and other hand tools (wrachets, etc).
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Thanks. I'll super glue it in the morning when I can see and make sure I get it in deep enough.

Quick Reply: Vadal or pure Accident