E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

v16.2 lazy acceleration - 545 Steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

After 3 weeks of 16.2 I called SA and asked about why acceleration is not "crisp" as before :

Before 16.2 - to pass on the hiway, a small push on the pedal would kick down the tranny to whatever gear that gave me the right power to pass or merge.

After 16.2 - the same push on the pedal would kick down a gear, but the power is not as strong as before, I have push more on the pedal and then the tranny will kick down another gear in order to give me the same power as before. The car seems a bit "soft" driving around town and doesn't give me that "point and shot" feeling.

The SA checked with the tech and tells me that this is a characteristic of 16.2. And the next version (he didn't which one) will rectify this condition.

I also notice my gas mileage has improved by 5%. Perhaps 16.2 for steptronic put you in higher gear quicker and doesn't kickdown more than cog at a time??

Anyone with similar experience?

thx
Old 05-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

I've switched to using the DS mode in stetronic all the time now, since I have the same experience even though I only have the 530. You might try that.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='May 29 2005, 06:36 AM
After 3 weeks of 16.2 I called SA and asked about why acceleration is not "crisp" as before :

Before 16.2 - to pass on the hiway, a small push on the pedal would kick down the tranny to whatever gear that gave me the right power to pass or merge.

After 16.2 - the same push on the pedal would kick down a gear, but the power is not as strong as before, I have push more on the pedal and then the tranny will kick down another gear in order to give me the same power as before.? The car seems a bit "soft" driving around town and doesn't give me that "point and shot" feeling.

The SA checked with the tech and tells me that this is a characteristic? of 16.2.? And the next version (he didn't which one) will rectify this condition.?

I also notice my gas mileage has improved by 5%. Perhaps 16.2 for steptronic put you in higher gear quicker and doesn't kickdown more than cog at a time??

thx
[snapback]134244[/snapback]
Now that you mention it, yes I do (since my last upgrade) although I was under the impression that my last update was 16.1
Old 05-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='May 29 2005, 06:36 AM

After 16.2 - the same push on the pedal would kick down a gear, but the power is not as strong as before, I have push more on the pedal and then the tranny will kick down another gear in order to give me the same power as before.? The car seems a bit "soft" driving around town and doesn't give me that "point and shot" feeling.

The SA checked with the tech and tells me that this is a characteristic? of 16.2.? And the next version (he didn't which one) will rectify this condition.?

thx
Acutally, my experience is just the opposite. My car was driving very soft, and had terrible acceleration lag problems UNTIL I updated to 16.2. I used to drive in DS all the time to lessen the lag problem, but since the update, I drive in D almost all the time, and love how the car responds. It's weird how different cars react differently to the updates....
Old 05-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='May 29 2005, 08:20 PM
[quote name='yogibear458' date='May 29 2005, 06:36 AM']After 3 weeks of 16.2 I called SA and asked about why acceleration is not "crisp" as before :

thx
Acutally, my experience is just the opposite. My car was driving very soft, and had terrible acceleration lag problems UNTIL I updated to 16.2. I used to drive in DS all the time to lessen the lag problem, but since the update, I drive in D almost all the time, and love how the car responds. It's weird how different cars react differently to the updates....
[snapback]134385[/snapback]
[/quote]

I really didn't notice any difference at all upgrading to 16.2. D is great, but DS just hauls ass something fierce, massive torque at any time due to the higher RPMs held. At the expense of gas mileage, of course, but what to do. The hell with top speed, TORQUE is where it's at. This car is going to be a world-ender if I ever get it supercharged.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:48 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525iA, silvergray, steptronic, Active steering, PDC, sport seats, beige dakotaleather, poppel trim, M-sport steering wheel, star spoke 123, xenon lights, large clima, cruise control.

I have the same feeling in my 525i born i november 2004. My car before, 525i E39 - 02, with the same engine was much more agressive. I wonder if CIP 17 will do any difference???
Old 05-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

v.17 seems smooth and reasonably responsive. DS is definately "point and shoot".
I think both modes work in the correct sense and feeling. No complaints here.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having 16.2 installed, early upshift and downshift hesitation problem were fixed, and the car is more responsive. I think 16.2 is good for 530.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i (06/04 Build) SMG, Titanium Grey, Black Dakota, Euro Reflectors, CIP 16.2

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='May 29 2005, 08:36 AM

thx

See my post regarding 16.2 and ride:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...ports+too+soft
Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Does anyone know if these cars 525,530, and 545 have adaptive tendencies, in that i mean if you drive them a certain way they remember it and the computer maps the timming and curves accordingly?

Quick Reply: v16.2 lazy acceleration - 545 Steptronic