E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using MP3 CD's on a 5 Series with Pro SatNav

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In anticipation of my first BMW (520dSE) arriving at the end of March I was wondering how the MP3 CD facility is implemented in the car? I understand from asking the same question elsewhere that only the single slot player in the dash supports MP3, is this the player that holds the professional navigation DVD disc?

I'll mostly be playing regular CDs, but would like to compile some MP3 cd's for longer journeys, kids albums, ausio books etc..

1/ Can you have them in folders/sub-folders? eg. Artist/Album/track.mp3?

2/ What bitrates are supported, I've previously encoded many of my CDs at 320kbps, I understand some players are funny at above 192kbps.

3/ Are lossless formats supported? WMA? AAC?

4/Are ID3 tags recognised?

Actually.. Can you have MP3 CD's at all when running Pro SatNav?

Any tips from those who've already done this?

Many thanks,

Mark.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Members

My 2006 E60 has Pro Nav & 6CD changer + HiFi system.
I can read MP3 CD's in the frontal player.

I burnt a CD with Sonic software (175 songs !), and it works great. No sound quality difference when I compare it with a CD in the changer.

No problem to use the Nav at the same time (it's another player for the nav DVD).

The only difference I noticed : I can ask the MP3 CD with the Voice Control, but not the track #.

I didn't try to rename the files. At the moment, with the quickest standard burning method of Sonic, I've only the 3 beginning letters of the track.

I only used MP3 files, and I didn't try WMA files yet. I didn't try tu use subfolders, but I think it doesn't work.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Originally Posted by Mark Ward' post='250207' date='Mar 5 2006, 02:21 PM
In anticipation of my first BMW (520dSE) arriving at the end of March I was wondering how the MP3 CD facility is implemented in the car? I understand from asking the same question elsewhere that only the single slot player in the dash supports MP3, is this the player that holds the professional navigation DVD disc?

I'll mostly be playing regular CDs, but would like to compile some MP3 cd's for longer journeys, kids albums, ausio books etc..

1/ Can you have them in folders/sub-folders? eg. Artist/Album/track.mp3?

2/ What bitrates are supported, I've previously encoded many of my CDs at 320kbps, I understand some players are funny at above 192kbps.

3/ Are lossless formats supported? WMA? AAC?

4/Are ID3 tags recognised?

Actually.. Can you have MP3 CD's at all when running Pro SatNav?

Any tips from those who've already done this?

Many thanks,

Mark.

I have the business dvd navigation system , and I can play DVD-mp3, the only problem is that the system only reads the first 250 mp3's the rest isn't shown.

I can use directories, but the 250 songs limit is also valid trough the directories.

Today I had also some problems with a DVD-RW, he said that he could's read the track, after ejecting/inserting it, it was ok.

With a DVD-R I dont have that problem.

When You burn a DVD/CD you can burn it as every normal data cd/dvd with every program.
Just make shure that you use proper names Like "Prince - purple rain.mp3". sometimes mp3's-albums have other strings in front like "torrentreactor_album_prince_purple_rain.mp3"
Old 03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by OliverB' post='250228' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:15 PM
I didn't try tu use subfolders, but I think it doesn't work.

Subfolders work great.
In order to have "right characters" on file name (no underscore, yes to space and small characters) as in this picture:

it is better to use this Nero setting :

Old 03-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Members

I have a new 520D SE with pro nav, and can confirm the main CD player only (not changer) will play MP3 CD's.

Regarding folders I burnt my CD with Nero using the MP3 setting and I get the artist, then album track listings if you remember to tick the details box in the options menu. Sometimes the titles are cut short for the album, but the track playing has the full details restored.

Sound quality seems fine versus nomal CD's on the changer.