E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use your Windows Mobile phone as a USB Storage for your music

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I recently installed the Dension Gateway and that gave me a USB interface on my car that didn't get it as an option. I also took the trouble of routing the USB cable all the way below the phone cradle so that I can place my harddrive there and it will stay cool too. But then I thought wouldn't it be nice to be able to connect my phone to the USB port too so that I can listen to the music on the memory card that I have in there. I have a 4GB card so its plenty big for all my songs.

As you know I already have the capability of connecting my phone to the Aux In of the car but I hate that route because it means having to control the songs via the Windows Media player on the phone itself instead of the idrive or the Steering wheel. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37261

The USB interface in the Dension (and I suspect the BMW OEM USB too) needs to see a USB Mass Storage Device to be able to play content from there. The problem with my current phone the Orange SPV M3100 or the HTC TyTN is that is does not allow you to change the USB setting for the way the Storage Device is accessed. Some Windows phones have this feature.

However I recently started thinking about this again and came across a freeware program called WM5torage http://freewareppc.com/communication/wm5torage.shtml

This program will make your device' card behave as a normal USB memory stick and so now you can plug that directly into the USB port.

This will then give you access to your songs on the iDrive and no more dreaded AUX connections. - I wonder when will BMW realise that the Volume of the AUX input is too low and there are a lot of partially deaf BMW owners are a result, those who forget to turn the volume down before moving the Input Source to CD or Radio.

WARNING ; The thing to watch out for is when you use the Memory card in this fashion its not available to the Phone, so if you phone is accessing the card for any reason (like storing emails or IE cache etc) then it will create a new folder called Storage Card and when you Deactivate WM5torage your existing card will be called Storage Card2 and you may have some data syncing issues to deal with. Also for this reason its a good idea to install WM5torage itself on the phone memory incase like me you are of the habit of installing everything to the Storage Card to keep the internal memory as free as possible. I will play around with this some more and see if there is a way around this issue.
One option to minimise the problem is the Tick the Lock Card on Attach Only option. This will atleast allow the phone to see the card at all time other than when connected to the USB input.