E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB / Audio Interface - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by ricky' post='517222' date='Jan 13 2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Rudy , you are right no way on NTFS.

This "little disk" is 64x80x18 mm and the smaller 2.5" I have is 75x126x15, how your 2.5" drive ? And which is the manufacturer ?
I could be interested in a smaller one.
I use 2.5" externals with my laptop. My newest Western Digital 160GB 2.5" is smaller than an older 80GB. I couldn't find the specs so I measured it to be 75x130x15. I checked, it would lay flat in the console.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Members

I don't understand the question. For me it would be a "no brainer"!

For flexibility, just get the usb option and you can decide later whether to use it. For L100 I wouldn't even be having the discussion. It's about convenience for me. You can take your iPod or usb stick and plug it into the car - end of story. You don't have to load disks into a CD changer or burn an mp3 CD with your favorite songs. You can rearrange play lists and artists on your computer and have a new library in a flash, taking it with you on the road. Let's say you have 6 CDs in the player and you buy 2 new CD's with some of you favorite music - what will you do? Burn a new mp3 CD and replace one of the CDs in the player? I'd just take my usb drive out, add a couple of CDs to it and plug it back in.

If you don't drive distance, or listen to much music, then don't bother (unless you care about resale). As for worrying about leaving your iPod in the car - why? Who can see it. it will be tucked away in the storage bin with no one on the outside knowing it is in the car. If someone breaks in and goes through your car, the loss of an iPod will be the least of your worries and the replacement cost is minimal (depending on the model). It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of the option. I can't agree so I won't help you.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='517183' date='Jan 13 2008, 06:09 AM
If I get BMW to retro fit the ipod interface is that the usb conneection you guys are talking about here or is it a separate device?
The ipod/usb interface discussed here is factory only
Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by grover432' post='517235' date='Jan 13 2008, 02:38 PM
I don't understand the question. For me it would be a "no brainer"!

For flexibility, just get the usb option and you can decide later whether to use it. For L100 I wouldn't even be having the discussion. It's about convenience for me. You can take your iPod or usb stick and plug it into the car - end of story. You don't have to load disks into a CD changer or burn an mp3 CD with your favorite songs. You can rearrange play lists and artists on your computer and have a new library in a flash, taking it with you on the road. Let's say you have 6 CDs in the player and you buy 2 new CD's with some of you favorite music - what will you do? Burn a new mp3 CD and replace one of the CDs in the player? I'd just take my usb drive out, add a couple of CDs to it and plug it back in.

If you don't drive distance, or listen to much music, then don't bother (unless you care about resale). As for worrying about leaving your iPod in the car - why? Who can see it. it will be tucked away in the storage bin with no one on the outside knowing it is in the car. If someone breaks in and goes through your car, the loss of an iPod will be the least of your worries and the replacement cost is minimal (depending on the model). It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of the option. I can't agree so I won't help you.
What a stupid posting!

You don't spend hundreds of pounds on an option regardless of whether you'll use it or not! That's the whole point of the forum to check out other peoples views on whether it's worthwhile.

Having had my car broken into twice this year, I can assure you that having a ?200 iPod stolen WOULD be a problem!

Most replies were helpful. Yours was pointless.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='517201
The ipod/usb interface discussed here is factory only
Ok thank you.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535xi

Best of both worlds: A 16GB memory stick in the USB port, and XM radio in the aux port.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ricky' post='517222' date='Jan 13 2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Rudy , you are right no way on NTFS.

This "little disk" is 64x80x18 mm and the smaller 2.5" I have is 75x126x15, how your 2.5" drive ? And which is the manufacturer ?
I could be interested in a smaller one.
The drive I have is much thinner than the one you showed in your picture. Basically, I took an 80GB notebook computer drive and mounted it inside a USB enclosure I found at Best Buy.

Here's a link to the enclosure I use:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...2#productdetail

The site above lists the dimensions of the enclosure as: 3" H x 4.9" W x 0.5" D.

The half-inch deep measurement is where the big difference lies...
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

CD audio quality is definitely better than the iPod. The iPod has reasonably fine quality and offers maximum convenience.

If any would like to buy a BMW iPod cable, PM me because I have an extra.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Members

I wonder if I could add a further question, having searched through threads.......

I have a new 80Gb ipod plugged into my LCI E60 with the usb interface via the apple cable and an aux male to male. All I can see are 49 four lettered playlists (I don't have that many set up) that play random songs. I cannot use the ipod to control songs or select, or the idrive to select an album or any details, and 'no details available' come up on all entries of artist, songs, albums etc.

Can anyone advise if I have made a simple error in how I have set up my ipod? Happy to go get the BMW cable but it appears most posters are starting from a better functionality than I am.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VHHDT' post='517606' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:06 AM
I wonder if I could add a further question, having searched through threads.......

I have a new 80Gb ipod plugged into my LCI E60 with the usb interface via the apple cable and an aux male to male. All I can see are 49 four lettered playlists (I don't have that many set up) that play random songs. I cannot use the ipod to control songs or select, or the idrive to select an album or any details, and 'no details available' come up on all entries of artist, songs, albums etc.

Can anyone advise if I have made a simple error in how I have set up my ipod? Happy to go get the BMW cable but it appears most posters are starting from a better functionality than I am.

Cheers
You need the BMW cable. I have an extra if you need it. Just let me know.