E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

USB / Audio Interface - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

Luckily, in my case it's not too sensitive. I've never had to repeatedly adjust the cable. Usually just once when plugging in and sitting the iPod inside the console.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Members

Thank you all for your responses.

Having read all the postings, I am not convinced that this is an essential option for me.

I spend a lot of my time in the car on phone calls (hands free of course!) and when I am not I listen to the radio (mostly) and then CD when I can't find anything of interest on the radio.

As I have already added DAB digital radio, BMW Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system and a 6 CD changer to my options list, I think I'm pretty well covered and the Aux input (which comes as standard) will allow playback via iPod whenever the kids are in the car (and in spite of someone challenging my assertion, iPod software IS quicker and better than iDrive!!!).

If BMW had developed a system that enabled you to 'download' music to the car (as I believe you can do with the new Mercedes C-Class), then I would have been persuaded. Using a memory stick sounds like a good idea, but I'm not massively computer savvy and whilst I'm comfortable with loading my CD's onto the computer via iTunes and my daughter could no doubt show me how to load them onto a memory stick(!), I'd probably struggle with the 'files' bit and if iDrive didn't pick up the song titles, artists etc then it would infuriate me.

Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious before I discount this option completely.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='514266' date='Jan 6 2008, 05:26 AM
As I have already added DAB digital radio, BMW Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system and a 6 CD changer to my options list, I think I'm pretty well covered and the Aux input (which comes as standard) will allow playback via iPod whenever the kids are in the car (and in spite of someone challenging my assertion, iPod software IS quicker and better than iDrive!!!).
Actually, that?s correct, for a driver, using iDrive is much faster and safer than using the iPod software.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='514304' date='Jan 6 2008, 02:37 PM
Actually, that?s correct, for a driver, using iDrive is much faster and safer than using the iPod software.
I was not advocating using the controls of the iPod whilst driving as that would clearly be unsafe.

You must be lucky with your iDrive, because mine (and that of around 6 other BMW's I've driven with it) is definitely slow compared to that of an iPod (by a factor of several times).

Unlike many people, I am not opposed to iDrive in principle, but my current car has the full set up (professional Nav, bluetooth, voice control etc) and after 30 months with it I am unimpressed. The iDrive menus are too slow for me, voice control is only 'right first time' around 30% of times (and, by the way, when I finally lose my temper with it and tell it to 'F**k off' it responds with "Stop Watch"!), the phone connection can be poor (even after BMW fitted a 'booster') and, to add insult to injury, the Sat Nav is worse than a ?100 TomTom (which also has the advantage of Speed cameras on its database).

We are all entitled to our opinions (you included) but I am not in the camp of being so 'blinded' by the BMW marque that I can't see the faults!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='514327' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:57 AM
I was not advocating using the controls of the iPod whilst driving as that would clearly be unsafe.

You must be lucky with your iDrive, because mine (and that of around 6 other BMW's I've driven with it) is definitely slow compared to that of an iPod (by a factor of several times).

Unlike many people, I am not opposed to iDrive in principle, but my current car has the full set up (professional Nav, bluetooth, voice control etc) and after 30 months with it I am unimpressed. The iDrive menus are too slow for me, voice control is only 'right first time' around 30% of times (and, by the way, when I finally lose my temper with it and tell it to 'F**k off' it responds with "Stop Watch"!), the phone connection can be poor (even after BMW fitted a 'booster') and, to add insult to injury, the Sat Nav is worse than a ?100 TomTom (which also has the advantage of Speed cameras on its database).

We are all entitled to our opinions (you included) but I am not in the camp of being so 'blinded' by the BMW marque that I can't see the faults!
I have been sharply critical of BMW in articles I have written so I am not one who is blinded by the marque, I can assure you.

However, if you are comparing a 2.5 year old BMW with CCC to a new one, you are being unfair to yourself.

The iDrive is quite speedy (and my first CCC-enabled vehicle was delivered to me in November 2005 so I did spend time with the pokier version of iDrive).

Perhaps my reasoning for saying iDrive was faster than iPod was not clear.

If you are driving (which is the condition I stated), you would have to grab the iPod, look down at it, and use the interface. Since that?s a distraction whilst driving, you will be doing this more cautiously and slowly than as if you were just using the iPod.

If you were talking about standing still and using both interfaces, the iPod would win.

By the way, I like your new "command" - I will have to see how that works with my car.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Members

So what's the best option for connecting an iPod if you have the USB option?

Plug it into USB via the dock or buy the BMW Cable that splits it out to the aux input? Do both methods give you control via iDrive?

Anyone have the part number for the BMW cable?

Lastly, anyone know if there's a craddle for the iPhone yet that gives access to music and the phone arial booster as well as charging it?

Cheers

Barry
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535xi

bardel: If you are using an iphone, you have to use the cable from BMW. The iphone does not have a "disk mode" for the usb to pull the music off the phone. What will happen is that you will see all the artist/track etc info in idrive, but you will have no sound.

I don't know the part number of the cable but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

If you are using a regular ipod, and don't have any DRM protected music/books (purchased from the itunes store) then I would use a standard ipod cable plugged into the usb port in the center console.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bardel' post='515494' date='Jan 9 2008, 10:59 AM
So what's the best option for connecting an iPod if you have the USB option?

Plug it into USB via the dock or buy the BMW Cable that splits it out to the aux input? Do both methods give you control via iDrive?

Anyone have the part number for the BMW cable?

Lastly, anyone know if there's a craddle for the iPhone yet that gives access to music and the phone arial booster as well as charging it?

Cheers

Barry
The cable is the best if you have an iPod.

I have an extra cable (of the new variety). If you are interested, send me a PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='514266' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you all for your responses.

Having read all the postings, I am not convinced that this is an essential option for me.

if iDrive didn't pick up the song titles, artists etc then it would infuriate me.

Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious before I discount this option completely.
To add my view, I would delete the 6 disk changer and replace it with the usb option and i-pod cable. It is far more convenient to have loads of music on an i-pod hidden in the console than changing disks, and the playlists only take a few seconds to load up when you start the car. I have an old i-pod in the car, gave me an excuse to get a new one for use around the home!

The interface between i-drive and the usb is one of the best things about the car for me, as I use an i-pod almost exclusively for music playing having spent days and days burning my cd's into the pc.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope that you enjoy the new car experience!

LM

LM
Old 01-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

+1 BMW cable is best with the iPod.

BTW, I tried out the USB flash memory drive yesterday. I ended up buying a 16gb mem stick to use in the car b/c my iPod was stolen this week. The flash drive works pretty well, it's a little bit slower to access than the iPod. I also noticed that the music doesn't sound as good as it did on the iPod. I realized that's b/c the iPod has it's own EQ that its going through before going through the L7 EQ. So I guess I need to spend a little time adjusting the L7 EQ to sound better. ... So that's another advantage to using the cable.

Now that I will be shopping for a new iPod... I was thinking about buying the iTouch (which is the iPhone without the phone capabilities). I did a search on the forum and it sounds like the car will not charge it when hooked up to USB. Is that true? Does the iPhone/iTouch require too much juice to charge? There was also some mention of it possibly working with the "new" cable. Is that "new" cable released?

Quick Reply: USB / Audio Interface - Advice please