E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

US Spec E60 iDrive Language Change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would LOVE to get my iDrive to be able to speak/read in German - I don't own a BMW in Germany, but I rent them a lot and I like the interaction. I will probably hear a no, since US dealers most likely do not have the software/options to load German into my car - but I thought I would ask, I am almost offended that this isn't an option in this car no matter what region it was designed for.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='774322' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:05 AM
I would LOVE to get my iDrive to be able to speak/read in German - I don't own a BMW in Germany, but I rent them a lot and I like the interaction. I will probably hear a no, since US dealers most likely do not have the software/options to load German into my car - but I thought I would ask, I am almost offended that this isn't an option in this car no matter what region it was designed for.

Thanks!
I almost did what you're considering - changing my voice-control language to English. I decided not to when I realized I won't own this car forever, and it's 99.9% sure that whoever I sell this car to will want it in German. Sure I've changed the navigation spoken messages to English, and the iDrive display to English, because both of them can be turned back in an instant via the idrive configuration screen, but the voice-control language would mean a dealer visit.

I would say, that if you can understand the language it's currently set to, you're better off sticking with it. If you're a German living stateside, it only helps you when you're forced to talk VERY good english to voice-control your car. Same deal with me - it can only improve my German (which isn't too bad but can always improve).