E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

US car in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Icy' date='Jun 7 2004, 11:19 AM
Hmmmm. The Pentagon dealer I went through told me it was not possible to order a Euro spec vehicle. I'll ask again. It wouldn't be the first time they gave me bogus info.

What are you looking at getting?
Icy- It's not through Pentagon but it's through the same program. www.intercar.nl
I'm looking at getting a diesel. Maybe the new 535D if I can wait it out that long. It sounds very promising.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jun 7 2004, 12:26 PM
[quote name='Icy' date='Jun 7 2004, 11:19 AM'] Hmmmm. The Pentagon dealer I went through told me it was not possible to order a Euro spec vehicle. I'll ask again. It wouldn't be the first time they gave me bogus info.

What are you looking at getting?
Icy- It's not through Pentagon but it's through the same program. www.intercar.nl
I'm looking at getting a diesel. Maybe the new 535D if I can wait it out that long. It sounds very promising. [/quote]
A friend of mine got the Euro 530d several months ago. He lives in Belgium (SHAPE). He's extremely pleased with the diesel performance and economy. In fact, one of the reasons I'm getting my Bimmer was this car. He got a very good deal through his diplomatic discount.

Let us know when you decide for sure. How many times have you been through the BMW car configurator? If it's less than a thousand times then you're not serious yet!

Old 06-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Let us know when you decide for sure. How many times have you been through the BMW car configurator? If it's less than a thousand times then you're not serious yet!
No kidding, I went through that configurator so many times trying different things to see how my car would turn out and trying different options.

So any ideas on a Euro trip?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My guy is throwing in the EU DVD!

You will be able to get out of paying the 16% VAT using the form when purchasing a German spec car. If you don?t pay VAT the dealer has to "clip" (I think is the term - they actually cut the corner off) the car's dealer book. After that the car can not be re-sold to a German again without a fair amount of trouble and expense. It is possible but not practical mainly because of the T?V inspection. So basically your only way out of the car is to sell it to another American living in Europe because you can't take it back to the US.

IMHO it seems like more trouble than its worth to get a German spec car. At least a new one.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 7 2004, 12:36 PM
So any ideas on a Euro trip?
I was thinking about the Dingolfing tour. I understand they are nearing off-season closure so I don't know if we'll make it before then. Otherwise we'd be looking at Sept start up of MY05 production.

UltraPLanet also mentioned something about this. What other options are there?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Well I haven't been through the configurator that much. Not yet anyways. Been trying to avoid getting hooked too much, too soon.

I have a euro spec MCS that I'm currently selling. Once it's sold, then I'll be more interested in ordering. However, that's not the problem. In March, I decided to buy the wife a Chrysler Pacifica. Nice family car, but I'm regretting it now. Will be harder to justify both the 5er and the Pacifica.

Maybe I'll see the Pacifica too <_<
Old 06-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Wow, I never heard of that. Makes since I guess. Those inspections are no joke. It costs a lot of money to inspect them. Being on a military base it wouldn't be hard to sell it to another American.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Jun 7 2004, 12:41 PM
My guy is throwing in the EU DVD!
Huuuahhh!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Ultraplanet-It's more trouble selling than we are use to, however, it's not really that difficult. You have the car valued at customs and pay the VAT on used car prices. The inspection should be not difficult because the car is still an EU car. When you sell, you include everything in the price. If you maintain the car, you can get the majority of what you paid back in the end.

For my MCS, I got a fixed discount from a German dealership in additon to not paying the taxes. This was even during a time when the demand was so high they were not discounting.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 7 2004, 12:36 PM
No kidding, I went through that configurator so many times trying different things to see how my car would turn out and trying different options.
How many times a week do you thumb through the manual, the US Spec book, the German Spec book, the BMW Individual book, or the accessories book?

Are we nuts, or what?

Quick Reply: US car in Europe?