E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Update on winshield replacement on 08 550i

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)
Arrow

Hi All, glad to see that many of you are getting your new 550 w/SAT. I am still waiting again...... About 4 weeks ago as many of you know, i took delivery of my new 08 550w/SAT. On the way home, crack my windshield due to road construction. Anyways i am having the worst of luck getting winshield replaced. First it was on back order, when finally got the windshield from supplier to dealer, it was damaged in transit. Today dealer called and said "you are not going to believe this, we got your new windshield and its damaged again".....hmmmmmmm. All this time car is sitting at dealership for about three weeks. I live about 1 1/2 hour away from dealer. So the first time glass didn;t show up, they said in a couple of day, so i left car there. When it didn't show up again, dealer said a few more days.... so the B.S. kept coming. Finally manager of dealership came back from vacation today, i called him and complained. I bought a new car 4 weeks ago, i drove less than one week, rest of time sitting at dealership. He was surprised about this situation. Anyways, gonna drive the 85 miles tomorrow to see if there are any "other problems" with my car. I hope they are not buying time because they some how damaged my car, that would suck. I don't think that is the situation, i have bought 4 bimmers from this dealer. Anyways, here is what the manager is trying to do for me because of this mess. He is trying to get BMW to pay mine first monthly payment. If he succeeds, I will feel a little better toward them. Opinions???? Is this fair enough on what they are trying to compensate me. I know no matter what, i wish i had my car for the last 3 weeks.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='460713' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:36 PM
Hi All, glad to see that many of you are getting your new 550 w/SAT. I am still waiting again...... About 4 weeks ago as many of you know, i took delivery of my new 08 550w/SAT. On the way home, crack my windshield due to road construction. Anyways i am having the worst of luck getting winshield replaced. First it was on back order, when finally got the windshield from supplier to dealer, it was damaged in transit. Today dealer called and said "you are not going to believe this, we got your new windshield and its damaged again".....hmmmmmmm. All this time car is sitting at dealership for about three weeks. I live about 1 1/2 hour away from dealer. So the first time glass didn;t show up, they said in a couple of day, so i left car there. When it didn't show up again, dealer said a few more days.... so the B.S. kept coming. Finally manager of dealership came back from vacation today, i called him and complained. I bought a new car 4 weeks ago, i drove less than one week, rest of time sitting at dealership. He was surprised about this situation. Anyways, gonna drive the 85 miles tomorrow to see if there are any "other problems" with my car. I hope they are not buying time because they some how damaged my car, that would suck. I don't think that is the situation, i have bought 4 bimmers from this dealer. Anyways, here is what the manager is trying to do for me because of this mess. He is trying to get BMW to pay mine first monthly payment. If he succeeds, I will feel a little better toward them. Opinions???? Is this fair enough on what they are trying to compensate me. I know no matter what, i wish i had my car for the last 3 weeks.
I think the dealer is giving you a good deal. After all it was you that cracked the windshield. As for the delay in getting the new one, these things happen, especially when dealing with glass. Hope it gets fixed soon. Good Luck and enjoy her.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='460713' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:36 PM
Its hard to believe this is bad luck. Two windshields damaged in transit!. If I was the dealer I would have switched glass companies. Besides windshield crack is such a common occurance that most dealers stock two or three windshields. I have gone a couple of times of windshield replacements on my BMWs and there were always in stock.

Again it might be pure bad luck but I would take the time and drive to the dealer and discuss it.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='460713' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:36 PM

Do you have HUD? Where are you that windsheilds take so long to get?

Only a HUD windsheild should be a pain to locate if at all.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='460893' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:14 PM

Only a HUD windsheild should be a pain to locate if at all.

little bit off topic... but how is the HUD windshield different??? i have HUD in my car and the glass dosent look any different than my previous e60 w/out HUD.. can some 1 clariffy>>
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='461093' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:21 PM
little bit off topic... but how is the HUD windshield different??? i have HUD in my car and the glass dosent look any different than my previous e60 w/out HUD.. can some 1 clariffy>>
The HUD windshield has a special reflective material inbedded in it, so that you can see the image. If you used a regular windshield with HUD, the image would be blurry
Old 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='461093' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:21 PM

I have read, don't remember where, that the HUD windshield has some special "insert" within the glass that is related to the HUD feature. I would guess they would not be found at your local auto glass shop.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by Veight' post='460893' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:14 PM

Only a HUD windshield should be a pain to locate if at all.

No, i do not have HUD. Bad luck? I am not sure. Went to dealer today to check, was told that a new windshield should be arriving this coming Fri., I am hoping that i can pick up car. Met with tech advisor, he told me that he had the sales manager call me yesterday about second damaged windshield, he said that i probably won't believe him if he called to tell me bad news "again". they suppose get their windshield from California. I asked him why not try Dallas, Houston, Denver, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, etc., they are all closer or similar to distance to California. Didn't get a straight answer. Got my finger crossed, make that all my fingers crossed for saturaday pickup...BTW, my car seem OK at dealership.

Thanks for all input
Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='461126' date='Aug 21 2007, 05:11 PM
No, i do not have HUD. Bad luck? I am not sure. Went to dealer today to check, was told that a new windshield should be arriving this coming Fri., I am hoping that i can pick up car. Met with tech advisor, he told me that he had the sales manager call me yesterday about second damaged windshield, he said that i probably won't believe him if he called to tell me bad news "again". they suppose get their windshield from California. I asked him why not try Dallas, Houston, Denver, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, etc., they are all closer or similar to distance to California. Didn't get a straight answer. Got my finger crossed, make that all my fingers crossed for saturaday pickup...BTW, my car seem OK at dealership.

Thanks for all input
BMW has its warehouse in California. That's why is not Dallas, Houston or the other cities you listed. I hope everything goes well and they don't brake it again (I know its not funny but I couldnt resist) and have your car back this Friday.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='461130' date='Aug 21 2007, 06:26 PM
BMW has its warehouse in California. That's why is not Dallas, Houston or the other cities you listed. I hope everything goes well and they don't brake it again (I know its not funny but I couldnt resist) and have your car back this Friday.

Right. I was going to say. BMW has a warehouse here in Ontario, CA. So they're not completely lying to you. It's either that or in NJ. I had my M-Tech Bumper shipped out from NJ when I got it. They didnt have any in stock here in CA.

Quick Reply: Update on winshield replacement on 08 550i