E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Unusual noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by cjbryce' post='586881' date='May 23 2008, 07:41 AM
Dunno if that what's affecting the OP, but that DVD player noise really, really annoys me. Definitely a case of an expensive car very slightly let down by a cheap-as-chips component.

I wouldn't accept that low a quality from a ?75 home DVD player and whilst I appreciate a car component has to put up with a lot more than a home player BMW should have gone for a decent drive.

+1, BMW needs to come up with a better solution to the DVD player noise. It is annoying to hear the DVD reader spinning when your driving in a quiet and luxurious car.

And I wish the buzzing noise at high speed was only as quiet as the DVD player noise. The high-pitched buzzing is really unsettling...I guess the easiest solution would be to drive at lower speeds, but what's the fun in doing that?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

there may be a relation with the 'dripping sound while driving in light rain' from the right hand side of the windscreen?
(apart from that that is also an annoying sound)

but you mention an interference like sound. Some fuel injection part perhaps, is that located on the right hand side in the engine bay?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='585757' date='May 21 2008, 10:55 PM
Although rare, tonight was one of those occasions I felt like driving home in silence and just enjoy the exhaust note of the V8. However, I noticed what can best be described as a very faint but loud-pitched squeal coming from what I determined was the right, front quadrant of the car. It is similar to a feedback noise created from interference, but comes and goes intermittently. I can't try to determine the source of the sound and drive at the same time, and haven't yet had the opportunity to have a passenger help me out. I just wanted to ask if any of you hear this sound, and if so, what might be the source? It is easily disguised by turning on the radio, the A/C fan going at a good speed, etc. As a side note, I do have better-than-average hearing and a tendency to be overly-annoyed by buzzes, squeaks and the sort.
I have the same problem with this high-pitched squeal coming from the front quadrant of the car (somewhere to the left of the glove compartment). This annoying sound happens intermittently. 80% of the time it happens when I first start the car. It lasts typically about 10-30 seconds. Sometimes, the sound comes while I am driving (45-55MPG). My 545i is at the dealer now and I was told because they can't hear it, they will not be able to help me. Some folks in old posts suggested the possibility of the CCC fan or the fan the sucks the air from the little vent. I told this to the SA but he said he will not change anything unless he hears it first.

I told the SA if they open up the center area and inspect the fans but he does not look like he is willing to do it.

I brought the car for service 2 times before for this noise and every time they told me they can not duplicate it. This is the third time. I am going to go out of warranty soon and I am at a loss of what to do! Any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

My dealer told me that it's the air hitting the plastic air-intake boxes under the bumper.