E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Unused options...What are yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used just about all my features but that doesn't mean I like them all or that they can't be improved..

I am a little bugged by that amount of time it takes the electronics to boot up. Start the car, throw it in reverse(rear park sensor comes on) and the radio control is temporarily locked out and the bluetooth doesn't pair quickly. Seems to me that this multitasking could be done much better/quicker.

Speaking of bluetooth, I have a pearl, and yes I need a pearl for a variety of reasons so I have given up downloading the address book . What I hate is the pairing/unpairing time. If I'm talking on my phone and start my car, it can take 30+ seconds to pair. In that time my caller will often drop off. I have resorted to warning callers that the call may be dropped or that it may take time to pair. Really annoying! I would rather the car completely boot up and then attempt to pair without conflict with other system priorities. A similar thing happens when the car is switched off. How hard is it to drop the pairing quickly like a regular bluetooth headset?

The last is the IPod module. Yes I am delighted to have access to my IPod library while driving. It's the freaking user interface that kills this feature. What's worse is that our cars have the knob and buttons to do this right like Apple, but for some reason BMW couldn't execute. Why is the IPod so popular? One of the reasons is the interface, accelerated scrolling, backing up through the menus to the same place, etc. We shouldn't be forced to create more playlists because BMW can't make its interface work better.

<climbing down from the rant podium>

Don't get me wrong, I love this car and all the features. Am I nit-picking? You bet! For me, it's all about the pursuit of perfection....
Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by ugggh' post='470332' date='Sep 17 2007, 02:07 PM
The stupid inner compartment inside the center console storage area. Too difficult to access while driving, and it takes away any usable space inside the main compartment. Seriously, I have to open two lids to access any storage??

The blue/red vent controls. This is my third BMW and I still can't figure out what these are used for. Don't you use the temp knob to control temperature?
ugggh
LOL - This has been a fun thread. I completely agree with both of those. It seems to make sense to my wife but I'm still trying to figure out those blue/red knobs after 4 years. I wish the console had a little hidden storage compartment underneath the arm rest that lifted with the arm rest like other cars. That little plastic thing is a pain in the butt.

I don't much care for my head rests in my 04 545i Sport Pak. They don't really touch my head unless I lean WAY back like I'm driving in the hood. The extensible leg supports (not sure what they are called) don't seem to be of much use to me. I'm not tall, maybe they would help someone over 6 foot. However, both options do have a cool factor to them. I also can't really get the hang of the trunk opener on the key.

The option I am enjoying the most at the moment is the telescopic steering wheel and of course, the V8 with the sport pak.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by mikeg7' post='470909' date='Sep 18 2007, 03:13 PM
Has anyone here actually used this? I was reading about it in the manual, but haven't tried it. It seems rather cumbersome having to program from the idrive for a set time, as opposed to just hitting a switch on the remote or something. If it really worked to cool the car it would be useful here in Houston, TX in the summer, but I don't know how practical it would be having to set the time in advance, since I rarely leave work at the same time each day.
I've used it and it does seem to cool the car down to at least a bearable temp if it's been hot outside. It would be a lot better if it could also tilt the sun roof open when it starts circulating the air. Also resetting it every time is a drag and easy to forget to do....which has upsides and downsides i guess.

The feature my car came with I don't care much for is the gas guzzler fee!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I am never able to get around to use the voice command system, let alone memorize the voice commands.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

The Trunk Monkey....... thank goodness !
(www.trunkmonkey.com)
Cheers
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='471679' date='Sep 19 2007, 03:14 PM
The Trunk Monkey....... thank goodness !
(www.trunkmonkey.com)
Cheers
??? Forget to take your pills today??
Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='471711' date='Sep 19 2007, 05:11 PM
??? Forget to take your pills today??
No ! But maybe too many !
Cheers
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='470170' date='Sep 17 2007, 04:22 AM
With the extensive options list I wonder what some of the things that seemed like a good idea to specify turned out to be little used.

I hope (for obvious reasons) that the one at the top of the list on my awaited 525d, is the rear side airbags.

What have you found of little use?

Regards,
It's not really an option, per se, but NO ONE has sat in my back seat yet.....NEVER ONCE! Get rid of that rear doors and make it a 2 door "monster coupe!"

And who here has ever used the hill descent control???
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='471915' date='Sep 20 2007, 07:52 AM
It's not really an option, per se, but NO ONE has sat in my back seat yet.....NEVER ONCE! Get rid of that rear doors and make it a 2 door "monster coupe!"

And who here has ever used the hill descent control???
Er, dude, it's called a 6 series...

I take it HDC is an x-Drive feature?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by hythe' post='472097' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:52 AM
Er, dude, it's called a 6 series...

I take it HDC is an x-Drive feature?
Ever sit in a 6 series? Big on outside, tiny on inside..even smaller than a 3 series inside! My head was touching the roof liner in an M6 I sat in the other week, with the seat all the way down, and I'm only 6 feet tall. My eye level was at the top of the windshield. It was confining to say the least!

HDC only on xi's?

Quick Reply: Unused options...What are yours?