E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Titanium Gray 545 Sport Package

Originally Posted by dploy
Sooooo do you think you'll get another?
ROFLMAO

No I actually disagree with you, outside of a few issues with the stock wheels I have had no problems with my car. I would love to buy the car off of you and take it to my guy here in VA. He is great, fixes all my issues first time and the right time. Also he charges way less than the dealership. If you are having so many issues with the car why not look into the lemon law for your state.

Originally Posted by rafichicago
I own my 545i for 4,5 year now. You guys are bashing on the cars that went through 3 maybe 4 owners. I am the second owner and the car is 7 years old. I am not saying it has been trouble free. I've had two major problems with it however fixed under warranty even though the car was passed it. Thanks BMW.
Totally agree. The car is 7/8 years old, unless you got the car new, you are inheriting someone else's driving habits in it.

Originally Posted by sy1616
My 545i was perfect, as was my M3 and 5390.....and my current 550i has been flawless. Go buy another numb pos Mercedes I guess.
I guess if your not happy with the car your more than capable of buying an Audi or another German car. Just make sure you have extra brakes on hand for Audi's and make sure your Mercedes CLS doesn't collapse on it's tires. Wife and I got our BMW with just under 45K miles, now at 115K. I can count on one hand how many times I have taken it to the dealership, and 3 other times since finding a guy local who works on them. FYI I am not including oil changes for those trips to the dealership. Heck as much as you have spent on your car, you might as well drive to Northern VA and have my guy work on it. LOL. I just left his shop this morning getting an oil change.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Wpould love to see it
Me too...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Let's just say I was a second owner of my 545(the dealership was the first - demo car). The list of problems is long and vast. I agree with many others - it has been the least reliable car. But, and here's my quandry, it has been the MOST fun and BEAUTIFUL car I've owned to date (I've owned: 90's a 72 Pontiac 455, Lexus ES300, 1989 Volvo760 Turbo, 1991 Sterling 827 (electrical NIGHTMARE), 1988 BMW 325i, 1988 S-10 Blazer (still have it) | 2000+ Honda Accord Coupe, 2002 Nissan Altima (still have it lol), 2006 Acura TL (wife's car), 2004 BMW 545i.

One thing about the TL - she bought it new, and, after 160K miles, it still runs that way. I'm at 166K, and have had too many issues to list - including last month's and this morning's "Trans Malfunction" error (and subsequent "D"-hold in 5th gear). Shutting the car down and restarting has resolved that error, thus far, but having it repeat leads me to believe that the tranny is about to experience a failure point. Yet, the car is like crack - I'm addicted to the damned thing, and have no current desire to pick up an F10.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sotek
Yet again, I post another problem. The 3-series was great. My Dodge was great. My Mercedes was great.
This car on the other hand is the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned, and will probably take the top on the list for pieces of shit until the day I die.

The ride is ok.... truth is my Dodge had a better ride... handling sucks. Coming to a stop is like being on a boat... thing bounces and rebounds like the shocks are made of mush... and they're fine so what's the problem... I'm so tired of this car, if there weren't such repercussions I'd have a bonfire tonight.

SES light with increased emissions warnings. lots of other fun stuff too AC Compressor clutch sounds like pennies going through a fan (part is sitting in the utility room awaiting appointment.....$700 dollars and $300 or so for install... f**k BMW... you sourced the biggest piece of garbage components... thanks again.... could have at least researched the component... not like you had to design the damn thing.... those compressors are great, the clutch they stick on them is crap and that is widely known... one would think a "car engineer" ...whatever they're called... would know that this particular compressor is crap...)... bloody transmission is looser than a.... Reverse takes 5 seconds to engage... oh but that's normal for a piece of garbage transmission right... by design says BMW.... man I hate this car.....

I can afford the repairs... the fact that I bought what I thought was the "ultimate driving machine' has proven to be a fallacy of proportions that only the Nutella conspiracy could match. I don't have time or patience to fix something that should work. If I drove the shit out of it, would be a different story.

So, if any BMW corporate peon's are reading this... I say thanks for building a piece of shit and turning your noses up at people who are putting out big bucks to drive them. FU.

Sorry guys had to vent.
I bet everyone driving a 545 feels the same way. Thanks for dropping the ball BMW... smooth... real smooth. Whole thing reminds me of the 'lipstick on a pig' remark made by a politician not too long ago. This piece of garbage has a whole lot of lipstick......

While I'm at it..I should get to the problem....anyone know WTF the DTML pump is????
My lovable SES light is staying on... everything seems fine but the light... sounds like everyone else with the 'DTML' problems. Is this a vent device for the gas tank??

You can thank Chris Bangle for designing that. He came from GM to start designing and building these things out of tin cans, to a price point. Try a model before or after the one you have - they are much better, back to BMW build and design origins.

I think Bangle is designing lawn mowers these days....! Unfortunately, we are stuck with his 'flame styling' thing for a few more years yet, until. Hey ! a flame styled lawn mower, that would be something to see
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I bought my 545 new in 2004, and since the warranty ended at 50k, I've spent $42,230 on repairs and maintenance. It's at 163k miles now, so that's $0.374 per mile excluding the warranty period.

Sounds pretty steep, until you consider that during the warranty, it depreciated by $50k, i.e. $1 per mile. Then the resale value flattened off. So it's been a lot cheaper to own and operate out of warranty. At least, that's the argument I use with my girlfriend, whose E46 runs at $0.168 per mile.

The original brakes lasted 162k, and the clutch is still the original. I'm not hard on the car - it's just godawful expensive to maintain!
A recent study (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...-846-per-year/) showed the total operational cost for a car in 2012 was $8,946, which includes fuel, insurance and all maintenance costs. This comes out to about $0.596/mile for a typical driver, so you're costs are not that far off the national average (if you add in your fuel and insurance costs).

As long as you love to drive these money-sucking machines, at least there is some payback!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by higher
You can thank Chris Bangle for designing that. He came from GM to start designing and building these things out of tin cans, to a price point. Try a model before or after the one you have - they are much better, back to BMW build and design origins.

I think Bangle is designing lawn mowers these days....! Unfortunately, we are stuck with his 'flame styling' thing for a few more years yet, until. Hey ! a flame styled lawn mower, that would be something to see
I, for one, think the Bangle-designed 5 series is very distinctive and tasteful...especially the styling of an LCI 550i Sport. At least you KNOW what it is at a glance. I know the F10 is trying to recapture the aura of the old e39, but in person, these cars are NOT that impressive to me...blah wheel designs, kinda shapeless and indistinct. The same "sausage-different lengths" formula sucks since from a distance, it's hard to determine if it's an e90 or an f10...
Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Item number 3.

DMTL pump (Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage) aka leak diagnosis pump.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 AM
Members

I bought a used 545i about 3 months ago. 110k on it... so far with 10k added I have had zero probs... knock on wood. This car is SOOOO much better then the 540i i can came from. Love it! the only thing i am not crazy about is the clutch feel seems strange... but no slippage yet. And the shifter is sloppy as hell, will replace the bushing and see if that fixes it...

and no ipod BMW must hate Apple...
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

For year of having this car I had:
1. 2 active roll stabilization
2. Wheel
3. Battery
4. Thermostat
5. Engine harness
6. Door sensor (comfort access)
7. Thigh support on seat
6. Tie rod (left side)
7. One of tension struts(left wishbon)
8. IDrive update
9. Sunroof seal
10.Alignment
11. Head rest airbag due small accident, (rear end by another car at 5-10 mph)
12. Bumper cover due same above accident.
13. Repaired oil leaks from sensors on rear side of the engine.
14. Axle boot was replaced due the clamp got lose

Well this is all I remember so far.All work was done under warranty or insurance or I paid myself like alignment and wheel.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
I, for one, think the Bangle-designed 5 series is very distinctive and tasteful...especially the styling of an LCI 550i Sport. At least you KNOW what it is at a glance. I know the F10 is trying to recapture the aura of the old e39, but in person, these cars are NOT that impressive to me...blah wheel designs, kinda shapeless and indistinct. The same "sausage-different lengths" formula sucks since from a distance, it's hard to determine if it's an e90 or an f10...
I agree in 100%, and personally I still love my 05 545i. Have had the car for over three years and for the money I paid I am not dissapointed. If I did not like the Bangle's design I would not buy this car. After 7 years, lightly modded, car still looks luxurious, sporty and stands out from the crowd. This V8 has enough power for me and is not that bad on mpgs either. Those cars are nicely equipped, and again for that money I could have had maybe new Kia or Hyundai (no offense to anyone but just not my idea of the car). Reliablity of E60 is another story, but it is actually design of F10 that makes me look for another vehicle among Audis or MB.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass