E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

We have to keep in mind that EVERY manufacturer of ANY product on the market finds a defective product margin of 0.5% acceptable. I would guess that, overall, premium car makers such as BMW, Mercedes, Audi, et al have a lower margin. That does not mean there won't be any lemons, it just means there will be fewer than, say, GM.
Perfect example: There are those that SWEAR by the reliability of Mercedes, however, if you watch TopGear UK they don't think Mercedes is reliable at all. In fact, when they were doing a comparison test between small convertibles - the new SLK was among them, they parked overnight and in the morning the BRAND NEW Mercedes not only had electrical failures galore, it would not move since there was a transmission fault as well. This doesn't mean Mercedes builds crappy cars, they don't, but it does mean problems can happen to any car maker at any time.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

; reze; 150K miles. That's good. It's still not very high for BMW in my opinion. I've seen many things. The best thing you could have ever done was picked the manual tranny, less problems in the future.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by sotek
Probably so. She gets fast highway runs but no abuse. You're driving a 530, there are many differences between it and a 545i, many of which are contributors to my complaints (and others).

sorry man , I didn't read the thread all the way through..

Yeah , the v8 motors have a lot more problems compared to the inline 6 , my mistake.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Senior Members

Mine doesnt have any problems, bought it with 51,300 on the odo 1.5 years ago it now has 62,000 and all that went wrong so far was a crack in the coolant reservoir.....and I drive hard every day! Engines great tranny great suspensions awsome.....the only thing is I go through brakes fast and low gas mileage but thats to be expected! Drove it to Ohio 650 each way and it ran just perfect also.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

don't jinx yourself buddy.

=D
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,
I'm hoping I won't have too many problems with my recently purchased '08 550i M Sport as it has JUST turned 40K, but I can tell you one thing...that POS ZF tranny has got to be the worst xmission I've ever encountered (other than my Honda). I have the SAT and it's lightning quick in Sport mode, but when it's in normal mode, or "D"....the damn thing will stay in the highest gear no matter what (I know, I know..fuel economy programming). I damn near have to stomp the pedal through the carpet to get it to downshift on it's own. A quick tap on the paddle shifter is a godsend, but It'd be nice to be able to do it with the gas pedal. Also, it shifts about as bad as my old Honda. Other than that, this car is MARVELOUS!
I know it will break down, which is why I kept my trusty Accord w/ 230K miles. I KNOW it'll start with every turn of the key...whether it'll move is a different story, with it's glass xmission, LOL...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

Hey I tried to do a search to see if anyone has posted all their costs to repair for their V8 engine E60 since they have owned it? I didn't find anything.
I have totaled mine up since Feb.. 2006 when I purchased, it had 24K miles and now has 80K. If interested I can post details of what I have spent to repair and also estimate of what was covered under warranty, I have it on an Excel spreadsheet with item, miles, dates, cost so this is for span of bout 6 years and 56K miles driven on my 545. so then you can see what estimated cost to drive another 50K miles or so? Would it be appropriate to add the spreadsheet to this thread or start a new one? or should I just keep it to myself and suffer the agony of it all in private?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by B_Schnell
Hey I tried to do a search to see if anyone has posted all their costs to repair for their V8 engine E60 since they have owned it? I didn't find anything.
I have totaled mine up since Feb.. 2006 when I purchased, it had 24K miles and now has 80K. If interested I can post details of what I have spent to repair and also estimate of what was covered under warranty, I have it on an Excel spreadsheet with item, miles, dates, cost so this is for span of bout 6 years and 56K miles driven on my 545. so then you can see what estimated cost to drive another 50K miles or so? Would it be appropriate to add the spreadsheet to this thread or start a new one? or should I just keep it to myself and suffer the agony of it all in private?
Wpould love to see it
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

I bought my 545 new in 2004, and since the warranty ended at 50k, I've spent $42,230 on repairs and maintenance. It's at 163k miles now, so that's $0.374 per mile excluding the warranty period.

Sounds pretty steep, until you consider that during the warranty, it depreciated by $50k, i.e. $1 per mile. Then the resale value flattened off. So it's been a lot cheaper to own and operate out of warranty. At least, that's the argument I use with my girlfriend, whose E46 runs at $0.168 per mile.

The original brakes lasted 162k, and the clutch is still the original. I'm not hard on the car - it's just godawful expensive to maintain!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I bought my 545 new in 2004, and since the warranty ended at 50k, I've spent $42,230 on repairs and maintenance. It's at 163k miles now, so that's $0.374 per mile excluding the warranty period.

Sounds pretty steep, until you consider that during the warranty, it depreciated by $50k, i.e. $1 per mile. Then the resale value flattened off. So it's been a lot cheaper to own and operate out of warranty. At least, that's the argument I use with my girlfriend, whose E46 runs at $0.168 per mile.

The original brakes lasted 162k, and the clutch is still the original. I'm not hard on the car - it's just godawful expensive to maintain!
Welcome to BMW, not for the feint of heart Glad to see it has lasted you 160+k miles even with the maintenance costs. I know my costs to maintain have been fairly reasonable, they have been higher than normal for an I6 just because I always upgrade when replacing parts, just makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass