E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Have you ever heard of Planned obsolescents or the Phoebus cartel? This was a cartel of, among others, Osram, Philips and General Electric from December 23, 1924 until 1939 that existed to control the manufacture and sale of light bulbs. The cartel is an important step in the history of global economy because of their alleged involvement in the creation of great-scale planned obsolescence. The cartel reduced competition in the light bulb industry for almost twenty years, and has been accused of preventing technological advances that would have produced longer-lasting light bulbs but instead designed the bulbs to fail. This way there would always be a market for new bulbs which would ensure jobs and a way to grow the economy... Maybe they figure that you will just throw your 5 series in the trash and go buy that new Z4...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjinca
I can agree with that, however, since BMW tends to try to cram as much of the latest electronics into their cars I can't see reliability being perfect ever. That said, I agree there is nothing like driving our cars hard. Also, there's the little things, like the fact that I have not had a car without leather interior since I was 16 years old, and yet I have never had a car with the warm wonderful leather smell my car has.
LOL - I agree! Guess we should have some compromise with what they try to pack in to the cars.. duly noted on the leather, it is nice quality stuff... now if only I could find a sofa with decent leather that didn't cost as much as a used 3-series!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Members

Planned obsolescence yes but Phoebus cartel, no. Interesting - thanks, I'll read up on that.. with GE nothing surprises. They aren't the biggest because they're friendly.
I never thought BMW would do that to its faithful.. didn't even register... but then again, that's probably nine, tenths of the battle. You're probably right.
Let us reflect on the BMW companies history and the family owners... wouldn't put a few engineered defects past them. Very, very good point. Have to keep the service techs in work..

I'd like the Z4 but the barker won't fit, I need a rear seat for him. Part of the reason for the upgrade to the 5'er was some more room in the back (and more room for me!... 6' 200lbs..it was a tight squeeze in a 325i with the sport seats...long drives sucked.. no room to stretch out or move around) then again... I could get him an aviator cap and goggles and a seat belt for the front seat of the z4.. that would be a sight to see.... I already get enough funny looks with him resting his snout on my shoulder watching the road from the back seat.. LOL
(don't get the wrong idea..no distraction... he sits in the back and rests his snout on the shoulder piece of my seat and watches ahead silently but intently).

I think I'll bite the bullet and keep the car.. I want to take a few road trips this year (knock on woodgrain dash).. and get my rec pilots license.. and don't really want to work too hard this summer .. so I'll probably stick with it until next spring, unless she starts acting up miserably.

wow - just saw the 20k miles tranny replacement - ouch!! May I ask what your symptoms were?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by sotek
I looked closely at the nissan today... no comparison.. don't even want to test drive it.
obviously you didn't see the new maxima...double-stitched leather it looks like the new bimmers inside and headliner and pillars are better quality than BMW (who's isn't?) Of course it's probably only around 290 HP or so and a front wheel drive. The FWD really gets me. I'd rather be pushed than pulled by an engine and those front CV joints are a killer. But 290 HP in that car is an amazing advancement for 2011 especially when they're in the same class as a 3er who had to add twin turbo and so forth just to get the 300 HP. The interior of the Nissan is much better than my BMW (except for the Roadster) anyday. I just like the new look. Don't think the leather will hold up like BMW as I have thick-ass leather not that thin comfy import stuff I had in the G35 (which in 2006 had 275 HP or so and was awesome)
Originally Posted by tonyb635
Have you ever heard of Planned obsolescents or the Phoebus cartel? This was a cartel of, among others, Osram, Philips and General Electric from December 23, 1924 until 1939 that existed to control the manufacture and sale of light bulbs. The cartel is an important step in the history of global economy because of their alleged involvement in the creation of great-scale planned obsolescence. The cartel reduced competition in the light bulb industry for almost twenty years, and has been accused of preventing technological advances that would have produced longer-lasting light bulbs but instead designed the bulbs to fail. This way there would always be a market for new bulbs which would ensure jobs and a way to grow the economy... Maybe they figure that you will just throw your 5 series in the trash and go buy that new Z4...
I've been thinking this for quite sometime and I believe it to be true. Just like some WMD's that David Copperfield made vanish. All a hoaz to guide the sheep of this world.

I'd like the Z4 but the barker won't fit, I need a rear seat for him. Part of the reason for the upgrade to the 5'er was some more room in the back (and more room for me!... 6' 200lbs..it was a tight squeeze in a 325i with the sport seats...long drives sucked.. no room to stretch out or move around) then again... I could get him an aviator cap and goggles and a seat belt for the front seat of the z4.. that would be a sight to see.... I already get enough funny looks with him resting his snout on my shoulder watching the road from the back seat.. LOL
(don't get the wrong idea..no distraction... he sits in the back and rests his snout on the shoulder piece of my seat and watches ahead silently but intently).
That's too funny. I can just imagine it.
But imagine how hundreds of years ago it was not common that people owned animals especially dogs. I don't believe they were not bread for domestication until after the turn of the 10th century. Now people bread animals for money and unfortunately the population of bread for sale vs. owned animals is outnumbered. Supply and demand combined with wicked behaviors. I am glad you treat your pet so well and even take him into cosideration when purchasing a vehicle. Now that's responsibility

wow - just saw the 20k miles tranny replacement - ouch!! May I ask what your symptoms were?
First post? A 2008 with 20K miles? I didn't buy into that one. lol Probably just the competition weighing in.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Planned obsolescence yes but Phoebus cartel, no. Interesting - thanks, I'll read up on that.. with GE nothing surprises. They aren't the biggest because they're friendly.
I never thought BMW would do that to its faithful.. didn't even register... but then again, that's probably nine, tenths of the battle. You're probably right.
Let us reflect on the BMW companies history and the family owners... wouldn't put a few engineered defects past them. Very, very good point. Have to keep the service techs in work..

I think I'll bite the bullet and keep the car.. I want to take a few road trips this year (knock on woodgrain dash).. and get my rec pilots license.. and don't really want to work too hard this summer .. so I'll probably stick with it until next spring, unless she starts acting up miserably.

I recently watched a documentary about this. It's not just with lightbulbs, but literally everything! I too thought it made a lot of sense. I just hope that it was not used on the things that I purchased....
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
obviously you didn't see the new maxima...double-stitched leather it looks like the new bimmers inside and headliner and pillars are better quality than BMW (who's isn't?) Of course it's probably only around 290 HP or so and a front wheel drive. The FWD really gets me. I'd rather be pushed than pulled by an engine and those front CV joints are a killer. But 290 HP in that car is an amazing advancement for 2011 especially when they're in the same class as a 3er who had to add twin turbo and so forth just to get the 300 HP. The interior of the Nissan is much better than my BMW (except for the Roadster) anyday. I just like the new look. Don't think the leather will hold up like BMW as I have thick-ass leather not that thin comfy import stuff I had in the G35 (which in 2006 had 275 HP or so and was awesome)

I've been thinking this for quite sometime and I believe it to be true. Just like some WMD's that David Copperfield made vanish. All a hoaz to guide the sheep of this world.

That's too funny. I can just imagine it.
But imagine how hundreds of years ago it was not common that people owned animals especially dogs. I don't believe they were not bread for domestication until after the turn of the 10th century. Now people bread animals for money and unfortunately the population of bread for sale vs. owned animals is outnumbered. Supply and demand combined with wicked behaviors. I am glad you treat your pet so well and even take him into cosideration when purchasing a vehicle. Now that's responsibility

First post? A 2008 with 20K miles? I didn't buy into that one. lol Probably just the competition weighing in.
I bet that was a mercedes shill..LOL
No, I just hopped out and looked at the 350 they had propped up on display, guy opened the door for me and I took a quick looksy, it looked nice but it still had a slightly 'cheap' feel to it. Was that a 2012 Maxima? I'm wondering if this was a 2011.. I was pretty dismissive and left after taking a quick look. I'll drop by this weekend and check out the maxima. I almost feel vested to drive the 5'er a bit longer after tomorrows repairs.

Thanks for your comment on the barker. I wouldn't consider buying a dog. He's been rescued for about 2 years now. I got this awesome canvas hammock setup in the back, protects everything perfectly. There's no excuse to buy a dog from a breeder with all the idiots abandoning animals. You can rescue any breed of dog. Couldn't buy a dog like mine or get the same from a puppy (or breeder)..or the respect, appreciation and admiration. I'll PM you a couple pics tmrw night Achtung, you'll have a laugh when you see him.

I don't think I'd drive a front wheel vehicle - I feel the same way. I hope it doesn't have a CVT transmission.. I drove my brothers Sentra, never again will I drive a car with a CVT... or a Sentra. I know nothing about CVT's except the way his car felt.. like a go cart without any power or grip. I can't believe he bought it... running family joke is that his payment was more than my 3-series and even had a longer term (they must have had one hell of a sales person working that day).. I'm still laughing about that... won't mention the payment amount but anyone who's bought an offlease, very low mileage, 3 yr old 3-series can attest that they're economical but not domestic/cheap import economical. LOL

thanks for mentioning the Maxima, I'll check it out.. I really liked the Infinite I saw a while ago (coupe g37) but the beemer still edged out the infinite. It's all about the road feel when I'm driving, if I want to pass someone at break-neck speeds, it's nice to feel every nuance of the road and maintain total control. I think I noted earlier.. it's kinda like your hands are an extension of the tires... I think it's more like your hands are the tires with the road/wheel feel of the bimmer.. never get that direct feel with any other car I've driven.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I recently watched a documentary about this. It's not just with lightbulbs, but literally everything! I too thought it made a lot of sense. I just hope that it was not used on the things that I purchased....
Do you happen to remember the title?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

Do you happen to remember the title?
Here you go.
http://dotsub.com/view/aed3b8b2-1889...3-ad85f5572f27
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

it seems like you bought a piece of shit.

I bought my car with 40k , it now has 150k and no problems..

maybe it's your driving style.

BMW all day.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by .:reza:.
it seems like you bought a piece of shit.

I bought my car with 40k , it now has 150k and no problems..

maybe it's your driving style.

BMW all day.
Probably so. She gets fast highway runs but no abuse. You're driving a 530, there are many differences between it and a 545i, many of which are contributors to my complaints (and others).

Quick Reply: Ultimate Driving Machine my white ass