E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK Drivers - M6 Toll

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably the closest Britain has to a German autobahn. I just travelled up it and back tihs morning and the surface and width of the road is brilliant. From the start to the finish the quality is just increadible. The car felt so balanced and smooth across the whole length of it.

What i dont understand is why is there a speed limit on it of 70mph?

not that i ahem adhered to that but it seems somewhat silly on a road of that quality.

In totally unrelated news i hear that a 525i can do 140 whilst in 5th gear. Kinda increadible really.

Id also heartily recommend the new Road Angel if in the UK. I got one for christmas and it seems to do a pretty decent job of alerting me to possibly accident blackspots and places where there have been accidents (read:speed cameras)

It hasnt detected a laser gun thing yet so i presume i just havnt been targetted. Time will probably change that one tho. Anyone else got one and found any problems with it bar the occasional false alert when a road runs underneath a motorway with a camera on it or whatnot?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='220432' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:06 AM
In totally unrelated news i hear that a 525i can do 140 whilst in 5th gear. Kinda increadible really.
Hear or tested?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='220432' date='Jan 7 2006, 05:06 AM
This is probably the closest Britain has to a German autobahn. I just travelled up it and back tihs morning and the surface and width of the road is brilliant. From the start to the finish the quality is just increadible. The car felt so balanced and smooth across the whole length of it.

What i dont understand is why is there a speed limit on it of 70mph?

not that i ahem adhered to that but it seems somewhat silly on a road of that quality.

Id also heartily recommend the new Road Angel if in the UK. I got one for christmas and it seems to do a pretty decent job of alerting me to possibly accident blackspots and places where there have been accidents (read:speed cameras)

It hasnt detected a laser gun thing yet so i presume i just havnt been targetted. Time will probably change that one tho. Anyone else got one and found any problems with it bar the occasional false alert when a road runs underneath a motorway with a camera on it or whatnot?
I had been using Road Angel for the past 4 months. All work perfectly fine without fault apart from the laser gun function. ( I updated once every 2 weeks for new camera location ) Last month I drove averge 90 MPH in the fast lane all the way from M40 toward London Direction. No car were in front and i saw a police vehicle in one of those specially build hard shoulder. I back down to 70 MPH and saw the officer holding a speed gun. I had no alert form the road angel Does it work ?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

the laser is a waste of time, when a laser gun is used on you, the laser is on for less than three seconds so the policehave your speed recorded before you can slow down, i have ha a road angel for 3 years and the laser alert has never gone of,
i had 145mph out of my 525d whilst in eeurope
Old 01-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D SE

Be careful on the M6 toll road, it can be well policed. Even a very senior police officer was caught travelling over 100mph! I think they use laser camera traps.

The one time I went through a laser trap my road angel did go off instantly, but as Tony said its too late by then (thankfully I wasn't speeding as I'd seen them!). The only hope is it picks up a car in front being targeted first.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

Saturday mornings i saw not a single cop. and theres no cameras on it (there are on the m42 every few bridges and parts of the m6) but the toll itself is cameraless for now.

Id imagine thatll change tho..
Old 01-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

I just love the Autobahn

Sorry for being slightly OT
Old 01-07-2006, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D SE

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='220464' date='Jan 7 2006, 12:22 PM
Saturday mornings i saw not a single cop. and theres no cameras on it (there are on the m42 every few bridges and parts of the m6) but the toll itself is cameraless for now.

Id imagine thatll change tho..
No permanent camera's but I believe they do use mobile camera's on it. Just be carefull near the bridges.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I would just take the ferry over the the continent
and go some night to try out the German Autobahns.

On the M6 your drivers license could be in danger...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='220432' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:06 AM
I guess the claimed maximum speed is achieved at maximum RPM in something other than 6th gear? According to the technical data in my owners manual the top speed on a 03 525 (192 bhp) is 148mph. I know that in sixth gear I am doing about 86 mph at 3000 rpm, so if you do the maths, the theoretical top speed is over 170mph in 6th. I suspect the max speed is actually achieved in 4th gear as I believe both 5th and 6th are "overdrive" ratios, and hence the wind resistance etc. at that sort of speed will drag the engine down. (Like trying to accelerate up a hill in top gear).

Quick Reply: UK Drivers - M6 Toll