E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK 530d.. 9 months in

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Sport Auto (Steptronic), Carbon Black, Aubern Dakota Leather, Media Pack (Bluetooth, ProNav, 6 CD Changer)

Originally Posted by Guest_manc5_*' date='Feb 25 2005, 08:44 AM
Hi
Thanks for resposes, sounds like runflats are bad, (mine are Dunlop but will opt for Bridgestones next time the wallett has to open), and the seat problem + bluetooth + clatter will be "challenges" for my dealer at next service.
I have always used the same dealer for all my BM's so generally get really good service and will be expecting some results.. i will post once it has been in whcih is going to be around end May.. unless the problems get worse in which case i will put it in.

Not seen any UK news on 550 but have heard rumours of higher output diesel unit above 535 for 2006my..? anyone else come accross this one..?

I have to say i am generally very very impressed, compared to the Jag and a friend of mines e class merk it is a good car.. still not sure atbout the boot shutline though ... on the strength of my enjoyment so far i will be ordering a 535d sport, (or later engined equivelent), for May 2006 delivery unless BM pull a 635d coupe out of the hat..? ahh 4 seats, 2 doors, good economy, low emmissions for company car tax and low depreciation ...? the promised land !

I am going to my dealers launch event for the new 3 series in 2 weeks as my wife is looking to change her .. dare i say it on this board.. 2002 HONDA CRV .(actually in a strange sort of way i quite like it and it has been bullett proof in terms of quality + running costs + depreciation)..? In her defence she used to have a fully loaded 1999 323ci in metallic black .. b4 the children arrived.. when we worked out the Mcoupe + 323ci were not exactly of any use whatsoever so hence the jag then the Honda arrived !? But now they are a bit older and we need to haul less stuff she will be able to go back to a 3 series sized car.

Back to the point Hoping to get info on diesel models as we are both converts any bad news i should know about before the wallett creaks open ??? any rumoured engine changes .. i.e. we bought the 323ci, (2.5 engine), in Nov 1999 and stone me within 6 months they changed it to a 325ci with an extra 20(ish) bhp which would have been nice. So don't want to buy a 330d art release if it is due for an update more or less straight away.. Same story if i'd have bought the first 530d as it had a higher emmissions euro3 engine but my 05-2004 car has the euro4..no performace difference though.

Regards
David (Manc5)
[snapback]94233[/snapback]
New to the board. Awaiting delivery of 525d (EU4) Sport, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Aubern Dakota, Pro Nav, Bluetooth, 6 CD Changer, next Tuesday (1st March) in London UK (Main reason for egine choice is the same - UK Company Car Tax issues) Interested in your experiences Manc5. I'll post my first impressions (and no doubt many questions!) next week................might even register!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

If you think a 635d Ci would be a slow depreciator think again. This model would appeal to company car users but will not appeal to used enthusiasts if they have the option of picking up a cheap 645Ci with a snarling V8 petrol under the bonnet for a song. The 6 series is a used nightmare as it appeals to a limited target audience in a very niche market that is fashion conscious and fickle. The BMW also lacks the brand cachet of cars like the Porsche 911 so the first owners takes a bath on used values.

Don't make the mistake of comparing the residuals on this model (if it ever happens) to the 330 Cd. That car appeals to a much wider used audience and the improvement in MPG coupled with stronger performance than the 330 Ci makes it a winner.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 25 2005, 02:02 PM
[quote name='Guest_manc5_*' date='Feb 25 2005, 01:44 PM']Not seen any UK news on 550 but have heard rumours of higher output diesel unit above 535 for 2006my..? anyone else come accross this one..?
They're coming... Now the competition (Audi & Merc) have engines that beat the 218hp, BMW have to raise the stakes...

The updated 30d is coming (in the 7 series first) but will make it to the 5 series. The changes look like they can be applied to the 35d so power will be boosted slightly - although the weight reduction (-20kg I believe) is also valuable in the handling stakes...
[snapback]94240[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you talking about the new V8 diesel in the new tweaked 7 series? That won't be coming to the E60 because of the weight penalty...the reason the 535d was developed was because they wanted a higher output diesel without loosing the 50:50 weight distribution. Don't know about the 535d getting a power hike though.

I agree on the other comments about the interior trim quality which is being put right from week 9 production apparently. Quality on the E60 is defintely worse than my E46 M3 that I had. The only other problems I've had are electric, iDrive locking up once and my bluetooth car kit pciking up someone else's phone call. Dealer unable to trace either.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wilko61' date='Feb 25 2005, 03:15 PM
[quote name='Guest_manc5_*' date='Feb 25 2005, 08:44 AM']Hi
Thanks for resposes, sounds like runflats are bad, (mine are Dunlop but will opt for Bridgestones next time the wallett has to open), and the seat problem + bluetooth + clatter will be "challenges" for my dealer at next service.
I have always used the same dealer for all my BM's so generally get really good service and will be expecting some results.. i will post once it has been in whcih is going to be around end May.. unless the problems get worse in which case i will put it in.

Not seen any UK news on 550 but have heard rumours of higher output diesel unit above 535 for 2006my..? anyone else come accross this one..?

I have to say i am generally very very impressed, compared to the Jag and a friend of mines e class merk it is a good car.. still not sure atbout the boot shutline though ... on the strength of my enjoyment so far i will be ordering a 535d sport, (or later engined equivelent), for May 2006 delivery unless BM pull a 635d coupe out of the hat..? ahh 4 seats, 2 doors, good economy, low emmissions for company car tax and low depreciation ...? the promised land !

I am going to my dealers launch event for the new 3 series in 2 weeks as my wife is looking to change her .. dare i say it on this board.. 2002 HONDA CRV .(actually in a strange sort of way i quite like it and it has been bullett proof in terms of quality + running costs + depreciation)..? In her defence she used to have a fully loaded 1999 323ci in metallic black .. b4 the children arrived.. when we worked out the Mcoupe + 323ci were not exactly of any use whatsoever so hence the jag then the Honda arrived !? But now they are a bit older and we need to haul less stuff she will be able to go back to a 3 series sized car.

Back to the point Hoping to get info on diesel models as we are both converts any bad news i should know about before the wallett creaks open ??? any rumoured engine changes .. i.e. we bought the 323ci, (2.5 engine), in Nov 1999 and stone me within 6 months they changed it to a 325ci with an extra 20(ish) bhp which would have been nice. So don't want to buy a 330d art release if it is due for an update more or less straight away.. Same story if i'd have bought the first 530d as it had a higher emmissions euro3 engine but my 05-2004 car has the euro4..no performace difference though.

Regards
David (Manc5)
New to the board. Awaiting delivery of 525d (EU4) Sport, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Aubern Dakota, Pro Nav, Bluetooth, 6 CD Changer, next Tuesday (1st March) in London UK (Main reason for egine choice is the same - UK Company Car Tax issues) Interested in your experiences Manc5. I'll post my first impressions (and no doubt many questions!) next week................might even register!
[snapback]94245[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good luck with your new 525d, that has really low emmissions.

One top warning point if you've not had a BM with PDC radars -

Test the park radars with your local kerb stones.. mine doesn't pick up the ones on my road... hmm nerly cost me an alloy that one !

Worth registering, this board is excellent, i used to have a Z3Mcoupe and was a member of the Z register and thought hat had some good postings but this one has much better content.

Post when you can, let us know how you find it..

BTW what do you drive now... ?

Manc5
Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Feb 25 2005, 04:53 PM
If you think a 635d Ci would be a slow depreciator think again. This model would appeal to company car users but will not appeal to used enthusiasts if they have the option of picking up a cheap 645Ci with a snarling V8 petrol under the bonnet for a song. The 6 series is a used nightmare as it appeals to a limited target audience in a very niche market that is fashion conscious and fickle. The BMW also lacks the brand cachet of cars like the Porsche 911 so the first owners takes a bath on used values.

Don't make the mistake of comparing the residuals on this model (if it ever happens) to the 330 Cd. That car appeals to a much wider used audience and the improvement in MPG coupled with stronger performance than the 330 Ci makes it a winner.
[snapback]94271[/snapback]
Yes, with reflection i agree with your depreciation point.. due to my experience with "Snarling V8's" so far not being good ones, OK it was a Jag that was a seriously fragile and flawed product, i tend to steer clear of them.

Shame though, the thought of a 635d still makes me reach for the chequebook !

Manc5
Old 02-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by David' date='Feb 25 2005, 08:32 PM
Are you talking about the new V8 diesel in the new tweaked 7 series? That won't be coming to the E60 because of the weight penalty...the reason the 535d was developed was because they wanted a higher output diesel without loosing the 50:50 weight distribution. Don't know about the 535d getting a power hike though.
The updated 730d is a straight 6 - updated version of current engine with lighter block and better injectors. It will definitely be coming to a 5 series near you soon!

The 740d will be using a V8 and you're right that probably won't make the 5...
Old 02-27-2005, 02:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Auto (Steptronic), Carbon Black, Aubern Dakota Leather, Media Pack (Bluetooth, ProNav, 6 CD Changer)

Originally Posted by manc5' date='Feb 26 2005, 11:50 AM
[quote name='wilko61' date='Feb 25 2005, 03:15 PM'][quote name='Guest_manc5_*' date='Feb 25 2005, 08:44 AM']Hi

Regards
David (Manc5)
[snapback]94245[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good luck with your new 525d, that has really low emmissions.

One top warning point if you've not had a BM with PDC radars -

Test the park radars with your local kerb stones.. mine doesn't pick up the ones on my road... hmm nerly cost me an alloy that one !

Worth registering, this board is excellent, i used to have a Z3Mcoupe and was a member of the Z register and thought hat had some good postings but this one has much better content.

Post when you can, let us know how you find it..

BTW what do you drive now... ?

Manc5
[snapback]94651[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Manc5. I currently drive a 520i, and am painfully aware of the limitations of PDC on the BM. Looking forward to Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, manc5 !