E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 535xi Sport/Premium Auto w/ Navigation. Alpine White.

I just bought a 2008 535xi CPO w/ 45K miles (Sport-Premium-Auto-Nav) for $32,800. I selected it online and went to pick it up at the dealership in NY State. They wanted to sell me the car with only 1 key and no floor mats because that's how it was returned by the lessee. After some back and forth they decided to mail me the key and floor mats (took 3 weeks). Arriving home, the car's check engine light went on and the local dealer said that several hoses failed the vacuum test.

This leads me to believe that the CPO check is purely cosmetic and the value of buying CPO is just the warranty. My take is: The fancy looking BMW dealership should be approached with the same level of mistrust as the corner used car lot. The only reason I bought this car is because it was inexpensive for a CPO.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast
We are talking about 2 different things here
CPO Process:
No matter what the process is,BMW does go over the car and do re-condition them to certain standard.I will give you an example... I am currently looking into purchasing a BMW myself and have figured out certain advantages of a certified cars.
a)- The tires on non certified cars would be the cheapest on the market like Generals/Hankocks etc etc.A certified car however would have BMW Spec tires costing as much as $300-$400 more then the other tires.
b)-Non certified cars might not have the books and the extra keys and again difference could be ($200-$400)
c)- Customer always has a recourse with BMW should things go wrong after the purchase where as buying it at a non BMW dealership,you are on your own.
d)-A car with 2 painted panels (excluding the bumpers) can not be certified,atleast that's what i was told.

CPO Warranty:

The car i am considering purchasing,had some issues with not blowing cold air. The current independent dealer brought the car over to BMW for a new compressor,evaporator valve and the entire A/C servicing. The thigh extensions were also acting up along with broken clips for rear windows that were replaced by the dealership. To top it off,dealer also replaced the rear brake pads as the old ones were squeling really bad. All this work was done under CPO warranty

So to tell you the truth,i would rather pay $2000 to $3000 more for a certified car just for the peace of mind. Now you still have to do your home work as BMW will sell you a car with a quesnable history and with some paint work.

Piece of Advice

Never ever buy a car with out looking at the CarFax,Autocheck,previous car history ( Warranty work,service) from the BMW,a Pre purchase inspection including a paint meter evaluation of the car.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
I bought a 2004 545i non cpo from a used car dealer in NJ for $21,500 with 51,400 miles, came with all books, case and pamphlets, 3 keys (including the plastic emergency one for your wallet) untouched tool/emergency kit clean autocheck also. My credit union did a check on the car which was confirmed clean. Off of 2 leases from 2004-2007 then 2007-January of 2010. Car is minty fresh everyone thinks its an 07-08.Bought a platinum 3 year 36000 extended warranty for $2800 just in case. Bottom line, do your homework you can find a great car out there whether its from the BMW dealer or other independant used car dealers you just need to be thorough!