E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

Ok, so I just read a thread about how AutoCheck differs from CarFax. I decided to take the plunge and buy the AutoCheck report for the CPO I had just purchased 5 days ago, and low and behold it shows some problems. I'm not 100% sure how to decipher this, so your help would be appreciated.

1) "Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s)" reported. I assume this is showing up because it was a lease (that is what the dealer told me anyway). Is there any chance this was a fleet vehicle? CarFax had it listed as individual owner, but I"m surprised that it shows up like this as a negative if it was a lease.

2) "Two accident report(s) reported through accident data sources" reported. The report lists "minor accident or vehicle damage reported to front center" and on a separate date "accident or vehicle damage reported". When I picked up the car the CPO checklist noted some paint work they did on the front bumper, but that was it. Earlier today I noticed that there appears to be some overspray on the gas tank just behind the rear bumper as well. Neither of these reported by CarFax, but none supposedly resulted in frame damage, etc as reported by AutoCheck. Wouldn't this type of repair work have to be done by a BMW dealer in order for the car to pass CPO? If the work was done somewhere else is it possible that BMW would void the CPO warranty?

3) "Loan/Lien record(s)" reported. I'm not too worried about this, just seems like someone defaulted on their lease. Anything I should do to check on this?

So my question for all of you is was I screwed? Is this normal to find this type of repair work done on a CPO? I thought there was some sort of stipulation that a CPO could not have been in an accident or something (probably mistaken). I'm also concerned that since none of this work was done by a BMW shop (at least it was not reported on the service or maintenance record) that I could somehow get my warranty voided. Honestly I'm OK if this is minor stuff, but I want to be sure that this is not something that is going to hurt me in the long run. It's funny, when I bought the car the sales guy made a big deal about how it's all original paint, yet it seems like it's been repaired (front) and repainted (rear).

If I have any leg to stand on I'd like to know now so your help is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

i used autocheck instead of carfax myself.....I think its much better. See what rules there are on carfax there has to be some kind of gaurantee? there should be some recourse there.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

double post
Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by vikingshelmut
Ok, so I just read a thread about how AutoCheck differs from CarFax. I decided to take the plunge and buy the AutoCheck report for the CPO I had just purchased 5 days ago, and low and behold it shows some problems. I'm not 100% sure how to decipher this, so your help would be appreciated.

1) "Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s)" reported. I assume this is showing up because it was a lease (that is what the dealer told me anyway). Is there any chance this was a fleet vehicle? CarFax had it listed as individual owner, but I"m surprised that it shows up like this as a negative if it was a lease.

2) "Two accident report(s) reported through accident data sources" reported. The report lists "minor accident or vehicle damage reported to front center" and on a separate date "accident or vehicle damage reported". When I picked up the car the CPO checklist noted some paint work they did on the front bumper, but that was it. Earlier today I noticed that there appears to be some overspray on the gas tank just behind the rear bumper as well. Neither of these reported by CarFax, but none supposedly resulted in frame damage, etc as reported by AutoCheck. Wouldn't this type of repair work have to be done by a BMW dealer in order for the car to pass CPO? If the work was done somewhere else is it possible that BMW would void the CPO warranty?

3) "Loan/Lien record(s)" reported. I'm not too worried about this, just seems like someone defaulted on their lease. Anything I should do to check on this?

So my question for all of you is was I screwed? Is this normal to find this type of repair work done on a CPO? I thought there was some sort of stipulation that a CPO could not have been in an accident or something (probably mistaken). I'm also concerned that since none of this work was done by a BMW shop (at least it was not reported on the service or maintenance record) that I could somehow get my warranty voided. Honestly I'm OK if this is minor stuff, but I want to be sure that this is not something that is going to hurt me in the long run. It's funny, when I bought the car the sales guy made a big deal about how it's all original paint, yet it seems like it's been repaired (front) and repainted (rear).

If I have any leg to stand on I'd like to know now so your help is appreciated.

Call your SA and demand that a copy of the autocheck be verified by them for you to keep for your records. Not telling you about the accidents if they knew about it is BAD - I would have demanded my money back. The value of the car drops significantly which will affect you when you are going to sell it in a few years.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Members

#'s 1 and 3 are normal; no worries. #2 is the only worrisome one, but i wouldnt go crazy. just try to find out the details of the accident; if it was a minor bumper tap with no airbags being deployed, no big deal. if there was major frame damage than we have a different issue (i doubt BMW would CPO a car with frame damage though?). good luck
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Definitely bring it up to the SA's attention. If you're not happy with the response, then file a compliant BMW NA and BBB. And like someone said, you should notify Carfax and might get something there as well. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Look, the dealer CPO'd the car so it had to have been a minor accident. The car could've been hit my a shopping cart in a plaza and the previous owner put it through insurance. I wouldnt freak out.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BillMcC
Look, the dealer CPO'd the car so it had to have been a minor accident. The car could've been hit my a shopping cart in a plaza and the previous owner put it through insurance. I wouldnt freak out.
That was my initial thought as well, but I'm nervous that it was more severe than that due to some things I've noticed. For example:
1) when I bought the car there was no plate or plate mount installed on the front bumper. I wonder if the reason why was because the front plate was damaged in some collision.
2) I just noticed yesterday that the black "Airbag" tab that sits on the front A-pillar on the passenger side is upside down. That makes me wonder if the bag was deployed and when it was reinstalled the tab was installed incorrectly.
3) The hood doesn't seem to be sitting correctly in two spots. In the upper corner near the passenger door the hood sits about 4mm below the edge of the right front body panel. Also, when looking dead on at the front grills, the portion of the hood that tapers down and meets the thin kidney grill divider doesn't sit exactly in the middle, it's maybe 2mm off to one side.

Another oddity is that the most recent accident for the car shows 7/29/10 in the AutoCheck. When I was purchasing the car the dealer told me that the car had been on the lot for 16 days, so the that means that the time between the last accident and it's lease return was less than one month. Considering it was a lease return, isn't it likely that any repair done was done either by the dealer I bought it from or who ever took back the lease return (another BMW dealer)? If so shouldn't they have been obligated to report that?

Basically I'm ok with a few small accidents, but if the dealer was supposed to notify me of any of the work they knew of (and was obligated to do so) I need to know. I paid top dollar for this car, but now feel like I should have not paid that price. It did pass CPO which is good, I just can help but feel like the dealer wasn't fully open on the history of the car, or if they are required to be.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

OK, you are right, you have valid concerns. I would drive back to the dealer and speak to the GM - they are going to blow smoke over the phone. In person will be more effective just voice your concerns.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BillMcC
OK, you are right, you have valid concerns. I would drive back to the dealer and speak to the GM - they are going to blow smoke over the phone. In person will be more effective just voice your concerns.
Do I have any rights here? Were they supposed to disclose me on this if they knew? Will talking to the GM get me anything?

BTW I think I know where this particular BMW may have been last repaired. If I call that dealership will they disclose any repair work done on the car? If I call BMW USA would they disclose it?

Quick Reply: Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?