E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Alpine White

You said that the car was sold new from the same dealerdhip you bought it from. So most likely you are the second ownerand the previous owner is likely a local person. I would go to DMV and get a record of the previous owner and contact him to find out exactly how bad the accident was. Or ask the dealer to contact the previous owner, which they will have on file, since they sold it to them originally and ask them to find out what happened.

If you bought it from the dealer, you probably paid a good penny and yes, you might need to sell this vehicle maybe in the near future and now that you know that it was in a accident your required to inform the new buyer if they ask and that will result in a less valued car. To me it sounds like the front and side were involved in a accident and the front bumper was replaced. Definately run a paint meter on the whole car and demand a compensation from the dealer.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by vikingshelmut
Hold on guys. Frenzy? Obsessing? I'm just trying to understand what is acceptable for a CPO car.
CPO is nothing but a scam - just additional way for them to make money. There are no real standards involved in CPO process other than standard "check all fluids, brakes... bla bla". All that bull shit about 140 "check points" is just marketing.
In most states stealers don't event have to disclose anything about the car - and they can always tell "we didn't know about that accident".
Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i'd be really surprised if carfax missed a "major" accident that included the deployment of airbags.
Easily, I actually still own such car - clean carfax.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hooch999
CPO is nothing but a scam - just additional way for them to make money. There are no real standards involved in CPO process other than standard "check all fluids, brakes... bla bla". All that bull shit about 140 "check points" is just marketing.
In most states stealers don't event have to disclose anything about the car - and they can always tell "we didn't know about that accident".
only until recently have i heard people say they were not happy with bmw's CPO. otherwise i've never heard anything bad about it.

fluids/brakes are not covered and never were covered under CPO. it is really just for major repairs.

but you're right, the 148 checks or whatever it is, is definitely stupid and marketing hype.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

i traded in a car that was over sprayed due to a minor collision on the door and the dealers took it and cpo'd it. It happens all the time. As long as there is nothing big. But yea getting a clean car is always ideal.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
only until recently have i heard people say they were not happy with bmw's CPO. otherwise i've never heard anything bad about it.

fluids/brakes are not covered and never were covered under CPO. it is really just for major repairs.

but you're right, the 148 checks or whatever it is, is definitely stupid and marketing hype.
You took my message out of context, I was referring to CPO process, not CPO warranty.
But anyway CPO warranty not worth it either - on average $3,000+ over price of comparable non-CPO cars.
I bet majority of CPO cars will never need a major repair which would worth $3K.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hooch999
You took my message out of context, I was referring to CPO process, not CPO warranty.
But anyway CPO warranty not worth it either - on average $3,000+ over price of comparable non-CPO cars.
I bet majority of CPO cars will never need a major repair which would worth $3K.
whatever the CPO "process" is, the concept of the CPO should really only center around future warranty items, not check points or anything like that. yes, admittedly bmw's marketing influences one to believe there is a process by which a car is CPO'd, but in the end the only thing important about the CPO vehicle is what is and is not covered after the purchase.

and this conversation seems awfully elementary. a warranty (CPO or not) is an insurance. most people that buy it know fully well that the value of the warranty may never be completely recouped on the potential expenses that are covered from mechanical damage that may or may not ever happen. that is just the definition of a warranty, period.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by al_ongvano
Most lease turn in cars will have a few inperfections in them. Rock chips, scratches, and dents. Dealers will usually check the vehicles when it got turn in and report the damages to BMW NA. In turn, the BMW NA charges the Leasee for the appropriate cost on the damages. Dealers will qualify if it can be CPO. They then certify after it pass the technicians recommendation and repairs done. Regarding panel inperfections, Most Dealer hire a third party paint correction shops to deal with cosmetic imperfections in the car.
I would still point every little imperfection out. I truly belive that had I not pointed out the curb rash on one of my rims that the dealer never intended to fix it even though the previous owner had to pay for it when they turned my car in from their lease...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

We are talking about 2 different things here
CPO Process:
No matter what the process is,BMW does go over the car and do re-condition them to certain standard.I will give you an example... I am currently looking into purchasing a BMW myself and have figured out certain advantages of a certified cars.
a)- The tires on non certified cars would be the cheapest on the market like Generals/Hankocks etc etc.A certified car however would have BMW Spec tires costing as much as $300-$400 more then the other tires.
b)-Non certified cars might not have the books and the extra keys and again difference could be ($200-$400)
c)- Customer always has a recourse with BMW should things go wrong after the purchase where as buying it at a non BMW dealership,you are on your own.
d)-A car with 2 painted panels (excluding the bumpers) can not be certified,atleast that's what i was told.

CPO Warranty:

The car i am considering purchasing,had some issues with not blowing cold air. The current independent dealer brought the car over to BMW for a new compressor,evaporator valve and the entire A/C servicing. The thigh extensions were also acting up along with broken clips for rear windows that were replaced by the dealership. To top it off,dealer also replaced the rear brake pads as the old ones were squeling really bad. All this work was done under CPO warranty

So to tell you the truth,i would rather pay $2000 to $3000 more for a certified car just for the peace of mind. Now you still have to do your home work as BMW will sell you a car with a quesnable history and with some paint work.

Piece of Advice

Never ever buy a car with out looking at the CarFax,Autocheck,previous car history ( Warranty work,service) from the BMW,a Pre purchase inspection including a paint meter evaluation of the car.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Members

a)- The tires on non certified cars would be the cheapest on the market like Generals/Hankocks etc etc.
Not true or not necessarily.

c)- Customer always has a recourse with BMW should things go wrong after the purchase where as buying it at a non BMW dealership,you are on your own.
The recourse will take you nowhere if it's gonna cost some substantial money to the stealer.

d)-A car with 2 painted panels (excluding the bumpers) can not be certified,atleast that's what i was told.
Again, not true or not necessarily, since it's not defined anywhere.

. To top it off,dealer also replaced the rear brake pads as the old ones were squeling really bad. All this work was done under CPO warranty
That's impossible, maintenance items like brakes are not covered by CPO warranty.

So to tell you the truth,i would rather pay $2000 to $3000 more for a certified car just for the peace of mind.
Are you a salesman yourself? All that sounds like a sales pitch. Especially that AC repair - warranty guys always give that as example of "expensive" repair for some reason.

Quick Reply: Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?