E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Just going to add my $.02. Don't worry. Be happy. The car seems awesome and a few paint dings are normal. Its got a warranty, so drive the heck out of it and take it to the dealer if there are any problems.

Now for may other 2 concerns.

1-make sure the lien has been satisfied. If not the bank can come after the car. I doubt this is a problem since a BMW dealer had it, but just check.

2-in your signature you have the "land departure warning". That is an unnecessary option. Just get out when you see water coming in the windows.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I purchased my 2007 550 Sport CPO'd and I know it was in an accident of some sort. I ran a paint meter on the car and figured out which panels had work done. Also I felt some overspray..... I wasn't worried because they don't CPO cars that have frame damage.
My car had plenty of warranty (original and extended through CPO) so I wasn't too worried....

A few weeks ago someone rear-ended me and I had to have the bumper replaced....No big deal - looks like new.

Yep it had some work done but I am happy with it....

Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?-550.jpg
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dgjk
Just going to add my $.02. Don't worry. Be happy. The car seems awesome and a few paint dings are normal. Its got a warranty, so drive the heck out of it and take it to the dealer if there are any problems.

Now for may other 2 concerns.

1-make sure the lien has been satisfied. If not the bank can come after the car. I doubt this is a problem since a BMW dealer had it, but just check.
Good idea, not sure how I would verify it though. I'll have to bring it up with the dealer.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='1241365
2-in your signature you have the "land departure warning". That is an unnecessary option. Just get out when you see water coming in the windows.
What you don't have that option? Thanks for pointing this out in such a hilarious way, it made me laugh and made me take a step back from this "serious" topic
Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

When I bought my CPO car the salesman, that I actually believed, told me that a car can not be CPO'd if it has been in a major collision. I'm stretching my memory a little here but I think he told me that if any body panel has to be replaced a car can not be listed as CPO. My car was reported as not having been in any accidents but when I had the clear bra installed we found over spray on part of the front bumper. So somewhere during it's life the front bumper had been resprayed. There was no evidence of damage or repairs under the bumper or any other part of the front end. Yea, I was a little disturbed to hear about the over spray but I figured that if there was over spray on the bumper whatever had caused it wasn't major enough to require replacing the bumper.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Most lease turn in cars will have a few inperfections in them. Rock chips, scratches, and dents. Dealers will usually check the vehicles when it got turn in and report the damages to BMW NA. In turn, the BMW NA charges the Leasee for the appropriate cost on the damages. Dealers will qualify if it can be CPO. They then certify after it pass the technicians recommendation and repairs done. Regarding panel inperfections, Most Dealer hire a third party paint correction shops to deal with cosmetic imperfections in the car.
In your case, since there is an accident reported right before it was turned in. The previous owner probably realized that BMW NA will charge him for the damages, decided to claim it with his insurance.
One thing for sure is it is only a minor damages. BMW Dealers definitely protect their image and therefore will do a thorough check. Dealers automatically do a Carfax report every time they check a car. Since it may take a month or 2 for Carfax to show the most current report on a car, the Dealer might not even know about the Carfax damage report when they took it in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by al_ongvano
Dealers automatically do a Carfax report every time they check a car. Since it may take a month or 2 for Carfax to show the most current report on a car, the Dealer might not even know about the Carfax damage report when they took it in. Just my 2 cents.
Just to clarify, dealers do run CarFAX but only to check if there is an acident report about the vehicle, that a buyer can see, not to check if the car was in an accident. They do not need CarFAX to tell if the car was in an accident, the can tell by just looking at it.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by SergeyM
Just to clarify, dealers do run CarFAX but only to check if there is an acident report about the vehicle, that a buyer can see, not to check if the car was in an accident. They do not need CarFAX to tell if the car was in an accident, the can tell by just looking at it.
Everytime a car is turned in whether it is a trade in or lease return, most Dealer will run a Carfax report. This is for assurance purposes to determine how clean the car is. Sure upon inspection some repainted panels can be seen but not all the time. Even a very good spotter might miss it. The Carfax report will tell them right that moment where the damage was and then they can further investigate the degree of repairs done.
I have worked at 1 Honda Dealer and 2 BMW Dealers and the Used Car Managers won't even look at the car without the Client Advisor furnishing them with the Carfax report.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

OP
I say stop worrying about your car, and just take the time to enjoy the ride.
You've got a new (used) car covered by CPO warranty. No major damage to the vehicle.
I was all geeked up over my M5 rep front bumper having a slight gap near the wheel well and not looking perfectly flush.
So what did I do...I went to the dealer and checked out new M5s and a few 550s w/ M tech and guess what....gap found in half of them.
Also, I pamper the shi* out of my 5 and I've filed 2 claims on it...both for bumper work caused from other parties. No frame damage = good to go!
Point is, don't sweat the small stuff. If the engine falls out on the 101 tomorrow.....it's covered!
Now....what mods are you thinking of first???
Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Originally Posted by PlanB
OP
I say stop worrying about your car, and just take the time to enjoy the ride.
You've got a new (used) car covered by CPO warranty. No major damage to the vehicle.
I was all geeked up over my M5 rep front bumper having a slight gap near the wheel well and not looking perfectly flush.
So what did I do...I went to the dealer and checked out new M5s and a few 550s w/ M tech and guess what....gap found in half of them.
Also, I pamper the shi* out of my 5 and I've filed 2 claims on it...both for bumper work caused from other parties. No frame damage = good to go!
Point is, don't sweat the small stuff. If the engine falls out on the 101 tomorrow.....it's covered!
Now....what mods are you thinking of first???
I personally will not buy a car that has paint work done to it,period.When time comes to sell the car,the prospective owner will definately either not buy the car or will try to lower the price as much as possible.
In your case i will make an appointment with the GM of the dealership telling him how you were told the car was spotless and that you have found out about the paint work.
You either want to return the car or have it discounted by atleast 20%.
Eyes could always be decieved but paint meter will always tell you the truth.Never ever buy a car with out having it checked with a paint meter.
Sorry if i sound harsh but face the reality and make them do things right for you.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by vikingshelmut
None taken, just don't want everyone thinking I'm some sort of whiner

I have a new theory about the airbag symbol. I found out the dealer I bought if from was the same dealer who sold it originally. I called, they checked the history and found no major repair, only a few instances of touch up over the last few years. Something she did say is that at some point they replaced the iDrive screen. Looking at the dash one may assume that you may have to remove one of the A-pillar covers to get the dash out to remove the iDrive. Can anyone confirm this? If so that might explain how the cover got turned upside down. I hope that is the reason anyway
The pillar covers do not need to be removed to replace the iDrive screen. 2-3 screws in front of the screen on top and the unit pulls right out.

The label could have just fell off and someone stuck it back on upside down. The entire cover was likely replaced if the airbag deployed and I would think the label would have already been applied to the new cover?

Quick Reply: Uh-oh, AutoCheck says my new CPO has been in an accident?