E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Two and one half week report and review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...around 900 miles
...never been above 4000rpm
...driving from Tustin, CA to Vegas tomorrow

Really looking forward to this drive. I am a bit worried though. It just does not feel right unless I'm in DS mode

Seriously, first and second gear of this car are worthless (in fact a nuisance) when driving in Socal traffic. Delayed response to throttle, slow to warm up, jump starts and jump stops. I'm convinced the 550 is just not made to be a comfortable drive until the thing has driven for 20 minutes. I go on short drives it acts jerky and rigid, with a too slow response to pedal and a too strong response to brake. I go on long drives and I'm in love with it.

Everything seems to smooth out after a while of course, and I think I could drive in DS 3rd and 4th all of the time and rarely hit 3500rpm. Those two gears on mine are absolute beasts.

Let me know, is this normal????

BTW, I'm a frequent Angel game attendee. And I always park in the same spot (far away!) and tonight I came out and there was a new 330i next to me and there was not a car within 20 spaces. Anyone who wants to know a good place to park at Angel Stadium let me know.

PC
Old 05-18-2006, 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

The woman driving that 330i was interested in you....
Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 AM
Contributors

Congrats on the new 550. Enjoy the ride to LV - you are correct: that is exactly the type of drive the 550 is built for. It's a good break-in drive - just make sure to vary the RPMs at times. So you should hit the magic 1,200 mile mark on this trip.
I haven't experienced as much of the rough start conditions you are describing, just a bit of a roughness sometimes when backing out of the driveway on a cold start.
The brakes do grip somewhat firmly when new, but this will smooth out for you over the next 1,000 miles or so.
We expect a full report on your trip and some pics when you return.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='284176' date='May 18 2006, 05:56 AM
Congrats on the new 550. Enjoy the ride to LV - you are correct: that is exactly the type of drive the 550 is built for. It's a good break-in drive - just make sure to vary the RPMs at times. So you should hit the magic 1,200 mile mark on this trip.
I haven't experienced as much of the rough start conditions you are describing, just a bit of a roughness sometimes when backing out of the driveway on a cold start.
The brakes do grip somewhat firmly when new, but this will smooth out for you over the next 1,000 miles or so.
We expect a full report on your trip and some pics when you return.
Pics....

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=772
Old 05-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by pc' post='284011' date='May 17 2006, 10:56 PM
BTW, I'm a frequent Angel game attendee. And I always park in the same spot (far away!) and tonight I came out and there was a new 330i next to me and there was not a car within 20 spaces. Anyone who wants to know a good place to park at Angel Stadium let me know.

PC
This is the luxury car owner mentality. If there is a nice car park next to it b/c they know you will be just as careful as them when opening the doors.

Then there is the WTF? mentality. Went to Sunday breakfast one morning and made it a point to park far, far away from the cafe in a big parking lot that was 95% empty. Came back 30 minutes later and a huge piece of junk with large doors was parked right next to me. I just don't get it. Why????
Old 05-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by jiio' post='284255' date='May 18 2006, 09:20 AM
This is the luxury car owner mentality. If there is a nice car park next to it b/c they know you will be just as careful as them when opening the doors.

Then there is the WTF? mentality. Went to Sunday breakfast one morning and made it a point to park far, far away from the cafe in a big parking lot that was 95% empty. Came back 30 minutes later and a huge piece of junk with large doors was parked right next to me. I just don't get it. Why????
I hate it when people do that....I always park far away, and I never take up two spaces...don't want to piss anyone off...but when I park out in the boonies and come back and someone has parked right next to me...like you, I just don't get it....I'm just trying to keep my car door-ding-free!!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by pc' post='284248' date='May 18 2006, 09:02 AM
ummm.....what a gorgeous car!! How's the HD radio?? I sort of wish I'd gotten that, but then there really aren't any stiations around here broadcasting HD that I know of.......the tan interior looks so sweet on the blue.......
Old 05-18-2006, 08:17 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by pc' post='284011' date='May 17 2006, 10:56 PM
...around 900 miles
...never been above 4000rpm
...driving from Tustin, CA to Vegas tomorrow

Really looking forward to this drive. I am a bit worried though. It just does not feel right unless I'm in DS mode

Seriously, first and second gear of this car are worthless (in fact a nuisance) when driving in Socal traffic. Delayed response to throttle, slow to warm up, jump starts and jump stops. I'm convinced the 550 is just not made to be a comfortable drive until the thing has driven for 20 minutes. I go on short drives it acts jerky and rigid, with a too slow response to pedal and a too strong response to brake. I go on long drives and I'm in love with it.

Everything seems to smooth out after a while of course, and I think I could drive in DS 3rd and 4th all of the time and rarely hit 3500rpm. Those two gears on mine are absolute beasts.

Let me know, is this normal????

PC

Don't forget your car has ATC - Adaptive Transmission Control. Your transmission is trying to figure out how you drive and adjusting shift points accordingly. And since you are being a good boy and taking care of her during break-in, I would suggest that once the honeymoon is over, you are going to love the beast.

By the way, I believe in using DS mode during break-in. One of the worst things you can do during break-in is to "torque" the engine. Let her run freely (under the 4000 RPM) but do NOT floor it in 3rd gear from 20 MPH!!!