E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Two keys, one with battery one without?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550i. Alpine white with M sport option 05 S4. Black on black.

My keys are different, one appears to be comfort access which takes a battery the other doesn't have a battery door at all and appears to only charge in the steering column.

Did somebody replace one of the keys or are they different that way? They both work on the car like normal but I can't figure out why they are different. I looked in the manual but it doesn't really say what or why (got the manual on my ipad from this site which is super kick ass btw) so I'm a bit confused.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, thanks for the help..

Regards,
j
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JimeE60
My keys are different, one appears to be comfort access which takes a battery the other doesn't have a battery door at all and appears to only charge in the steering column.

Did somebody replace one of the keys or are they different that way? They both work on the car like normal but I can't figure out why they are different. I looked in the manual but it doesn't really say what or why (got the manual on my ipad from this site which is super kick ass btw) so I'm a bit confused.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, thanks for the help..

Regards,
j
I was provided 2 Comfort Access Keys for my car. Perhaps the PO wanted two sets of keys but didn't want to spend the $$ on a second CA key.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Two keys should always be the same when they come from the factory. Someone has replaced one of the keys; probably the non-CA key if your car has CA (car doors open by touching any of the door handles on the inside surface with your key fob in your pocket).
Old 04-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i. Alpine white with M sport option 05 S4. Black on black.

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Two keys should always be the same when they come from the factory. Someone has replaced one of the keys; probably the non-CA key if your car has CA (car doors open by touching any of the door handles on the inside surface with your key fob in your pocket).
Yeah my car has CA I can touch the door handles to lock unlock. So the other key needs to be charged in the column and won't work for CA features then? That no big deal really, wife doesn't really drive it anyway.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Yeah my car has CA I can touch the door handles to lock unlock. So the other key needs to be charged in the column and won't work for CA features then?

Correct.
CA fob has replaceable watch CR2032 batteries and non-CA key needs to re-charge every time in the column(batteries are not replaceable easily).
Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Yeah my car has CA I can touch the door handles to lock unlock. So the other key needs to be charged in the column and won't work for CA features then? That no big deal really, wife doesn't really drive it anyway.
Sounds to me that you're confusing the "Spare" with a non-CA Fob. I don't think you can have BOTH the standard "charge in the column key" and CA. I think someone has your second CA Fob and while the "SPARE" can actually be used to start the car it is not intended as a replacement for regular use. Check your owner's manual for the additional detail if this picture doesn't give you enough information.
Attached Thumbnails Two keys, one with battery one without?-bmw-keys.jpg