E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Two front PDC Sensors not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

I've only had my 535D Sport MY2005 for 2 weeks but only just noticed that the two near side PDC Sensors don't seem to do anything.

I'm not sure if they are faulty, unplugged or something else so as a first line of resolution I though I'd swop them with the ones on the off side but I'm not sure what my best approach is to remove them......Do I get at them from the top or the bottom...Do I need to remove the bumper. I 'm a little stumped and can't find a guide on this

Can anyone help with a guide perhaps on how to gain access to them ?

Thanks in advance

Si
Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

If you push the sensors inwards toward the body, it will come out from their plastic holder clips, but it'll be very difficult to clip it back in...so, i think the only way you can get access to it is by removing the bumper and taking it out from inside the bumper...
Old 04-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

Is removing the Bumper a difficult job ?

TIA

Si
Old 04-27-2008, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Biglad,

If the sensors are working, you should be able to hear a slight "tic" when they are switched on.
Generally, if a sensor is either disconnected or u/s, then the PDC will alarm if you switch it on, either by selecting reverse, or pressing the switch. The end with good sensors will still work though, but the end with one (or more) duff won't.

I haven't looked at this, but I would think that you will have to remove the bumper to get to the sensors - although you may be able to get to the outer ones through the inner wing (mudguard) panel.

Before you start taking your front end to bits, really make sure that the sensors aren't working. Every other post on this subject is about sensors being duff, but the alarm sounds a long tone as you switch on - I think it is unusual to get a duff sensor without an alarm.

Mike
Old 04-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Members

Yeah I've read about everyone getting alarm sounds but my sensors basically just don't sense anything.....The other two front ones work perfectly as do the rears it's only those two that do nothing.

Very weird.

I might get the Dealer to have a look and then change them myself if needed.

Si
Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Is your car still under warranty?? If so, then just let the $tealer have a look at it.

Otherwise, it may be worth getting a sensor for a tenner from eBay - have a look if you can get to one of the sensors easily and just replace it. Of course, if you have to take the bumper off, it may be worthwhile just swapping the left side with the right (remember you have to have all 4 sensors present) and see if the fault replicates on the other side - you should be able to do this with the bumper off. As mentioned, they are just clipped in from the back - held in by plastic lugs. I wouldn't press too hard on the outer part, as that is the bit that vibrates ultrasonically to sense objects. If you have to remove the sensor, push with a thumb on the outside, whilst easing the plastic lugs apart on the inside (easy when the bumper is off - you may need 6 foot long, double jointed arms if the bumper is on!!!)

Mike
Old 04-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

two faulty at the same time? sounds like the error is elsewhere in the wiring. fuses perhaps?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='569305' date='Apr 27 2008, 04:35 PM
two faulty at the same time? sounds like the error is elsewhere in the wiring. fuses perhaps?

very possible. So check the fuse and see how it goes... taking bumper off is pain in the butt unless you know how to do with a help of your friend... (taking it off is easy but putting back perfectly is hard).

Or take it to dealer and see what they say..

or just ride without it... you dont need front sensor....

e60 is for skillful drivers...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

true, I usually discard the info from the front as I use the space that the system qualifies as too near the car. If the thing would work up to 1cm off the bumper I'd be using it but now it's exactly the last 20cm that I appreciate a little help where it goes all red. the meter away is not interesting (yellow to green). In fact, I'd like it to help me noticing hidden, mean high streetcurbs that I park up to. Like old limo's have a little microswitch with a rod up front pass. side.