E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn Left, Then right , Then left

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='250877' date='Mar 6 2006, 08:44 PM
However, I normally just give it a very slight tap downwards. That's all it takes to cancel the signal. You get it to do left/right/left because you have hit it too hard that it has clicked to the other direction. This is an electronic switch and not mechanical. There is no need to hit it too hard.
Thanks. Yep, I'm going to try down taps.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Hamann5' post='250856' date='Mar 7 2006, 12:44 AM
to stop the blinker you hit it in the same direction to stop it

Exactly, just tap it in the same direction you did to put it on, but only to the soft resistance point, then you cannot get the opposite turn signal.

Took me 11 months to work this out though.......................doh!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='250998' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:41 AM
Exactly, just tap it in the same direction you did to put it on, but only to the soft resistance point, then you cannot get the opposite turn signal.

Well, actually you don't have to. Whatever direction you put it on, you can cancel it with a gentle tap downwards. (or if you prefer, upwards).
Old 03-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Contributors

Yah...i do experience those every now and then!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Contributors

While it's true that you can turn off the turn signals by going to (but not past) the click or resistance point in EITHER direction, it is safer to do it in the same direction that is activated because even if you do go past the resistance point you simply re-activate it in the same direction that was already on. To a person driving behind you this just looks like you have not turned off the blinkers yet, but if you had tried to push the stalk in the opposite direction and also gone past the resistance point then you would have turned off the blinker in one direction and turned on the other, this is when the confusing left-right-left thing may start. So in summary if you are careful to always go to the resistance point but not past the click then you can go either way to turn it off, but to be safe for the rare times that I may go past the click point I find it better to go in the same direction so at least there is no left-right confusion.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Yet another BMW engineering solution searching for a need.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nupe009' post='250855' date='Mar 7 2006, 12:43 AM
I was wondering if this happens to other e60 owners. I turn my signal on to turn left, then I try to turn it off after I change lanes but then the right turn signal comes on. I then try to turn it off and it turns on the left turn signal again. I'm sure that the cars behind me are thinking that I can't make up my mind about which direction I want to go. It seems that my turn signals are very sensitve to touch sometimes.
The indicators are a bit of a pain. I initially tried activating the 'triple turn' (3 blink) option in idrive, but for me that just made things worse.

Once you get used to it they are not so bad. I just push the stalk all the way (past the resistance) to indicate then push again in the same direction (but not past the resistance) to cancel.

These sort of 'soft touch' controls seem to be fashionable, but I think BMW should have resisted since there is no real ergonomic argument for this over a more trad system.

What does bug me - A LOT - is that in my usual driving position the steering wheel blocks my view of the turn indicator lights and the clicking sound is very quiet, so for me it is easy to forget that they are activated.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='251069' date='Mar 7 2006, 08:45 AM
The indicators are a bit of a pain. I initially tried activating the 'triple turn' (3 blink) option in idrive, but for me that just made things worse.

Once you get used to it they are not so bad. I just push the stalk all the way (past the resistance) to indicate then push again in the same direction (but not past the resistance) to cancel.

These sort of 'soft touch' controls seem to be fashionable, but I think BMW should have resisted since there is no real ergonomic argument for this over a more trad system.

What does bug me - A LOT - is that in my usual driving position the steering wheel blocks my view of the turn indicator lights and the clicking sound is very quiet, so for me it is easy to forget that they are activated.
That is the problem. It is hard to tell if the blinkers are still on. Have to admit that the blinker system is not very intuitive on the e60.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darkside' post='251071' date='Mar 7 2006, 01:49 PM
That is the problem. It is hard to tell if the blinkers are still on. Have to admit that the blinker system is not very intuitive on the e60.
Blinkered design by BMW
Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='250998' date='Mar 7 2006, 09:41 AM

They should issue a "driving tips" leaflet with the car so that us more mentally challenged people don't have to go through this learning curve. I too spent many weeks indicating left, right, left, right before I figured out that the safe option is a gentle tap in the same direction. I even went through a period of abstinence when I couldn't get the hang of it initially. (I switched off the 3 blink option in i-drive for a few weeks, then when I decided I was brave enough enough to try again I enabled it once more, and lo and behold I found the "trick" almost straight away).

Quick Reply: Turn Left, Then right , Then left