E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turn both brake lights on EU cars on pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Anyone have successfully coded BFD to flash?

I finally got around to giving it a go today, but unfortunately I can't get it to work. I suspect that since I have modded my tails to produce Ricky's brake effects, the entries I will have to modify will be slightly more complicated due to how I have redirected the electrical currents.

I think if I get a chance later tonight, I will try to see if it works for my 3rd brake light.
A friend of mine (E60) and myself (E61) had this programmed last week. We set everything at "03", as per the instructions.

I haven't had the chance to see if it works on my car, but my friend says all of his lights in the rear now flash at hard braking. Including the LED tubes.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Humm, is it only possible for hard braking? If that's the case, I assume there are other requirements such as traveling at certain speed and then braking hard before the flashing will activate? Otherwise it should work if you're depressing the brake all the way down?

I actually saw a clip of a E46 with this activated on Youtube, unfortunately it's not particularly clear to me if the person was braking hard or just normal.

Additionally, there are a lot of entries relative to BFD flashing, such as calculated algorithm and such. This seems like an interesting aspect/project if someone has the time.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Nice to see it works.....so what is hard braking, to the point of ABS coming on? And then it stays on (rearlight flashing) until the braking is released?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by RootKit
Nice to see it works.....so what is hard braking, to the point of ABS coming on? And then it stays on (rearlight flashing) until the braking is released?
I believe I read in TIS that BFD is activated only when ABS kicks in.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by andy545
I believe I read in TIS that BFD is activated only when ABS kicks in.
absolutely correct.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
absolutely correct.
That explains it! I think this is what I saw traveling behind my other E60. On snowy/icy road traveling pretty slow and at some stops/turns the extra lamp (the round center fog?) came on some of the time but not on others. I suppose ABS was kicking in on some of the slick spots and the extra lamp came on - so not necessarily braking hard just ABS causing Brake force Display to activate.

Seems like it will be pretty hard to test during NCS coding. Us Northern dudes gonna have to get on it while we got some ice to test on.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Should be an interesting test....go on an empty road with alot of dirt to help set off ABS (in California that would be after a moderate rainfall.) When I get a chance will be back up in the high desert anyways and use some dirt roads there.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Boo, I was hoping that this can be set as regular brake indication -- just to see what it looks like.

Probably be pretty bad for epileptic people, lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

New development:
my friend says it looks horrible, because all the lights are "flashing" too slowly and it looks more like the driver is playing with the brake pedal, than a really dangerous situation. So he turned it off again.

I havent't seen it on my car yet,so I can not judge.

But we got the idea of:
a) making the turn signals flash during hard braking
b) make the frequency of "flashing" maybe 2x higher, so it really looks like flashing.

Do you think these two options are possible?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Here's a random video of an E60 doing the standard flashing, but I am not sure whether this is 100% the same like the function we got coded:

Quick Reply: Turn both brake lights on EU cars on pre-LCI