E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trunk Lid

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Aug 27 2004, 09:15 AM
I only screwed that up once about 6 am. Won't do that again.
I guess your neighbours love you...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

The trunk lid opens when you RELEASE the button and not when you press it!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' date='Aug 27 2004, 07:01 AM
The trunk lid opens when you RELEASE the button and not when you press it!
Maibe on your car, but not on all e60s...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:15 AM
JDN
Contributors

It is a timing thing. You hold it for a bit under two seconds. Two seconds triggers the alarm. But just like the garage door opener, it is not a one quick punch operation.

I have it down pretty good. Only set off the alarm once since I caught on. That once was when I returned to the car after about three hours with it standing locked. I think that the alarm was a little antsy. Someone suggested disarming the car before you do the trunk lid thing under those circumstances.

Other than that one time, it just a "One thousand and one" thing to get it open. One second, not two! If we are smart enough to buy these cars, we should be able to deal with this and hope for a better system down the road.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Members

It also seems that as the car "learns" you, the trunk becomes easier to open. At least this is how it seems to me.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 27 2004, 07:15 AM
It is a timing thing. You hold it for a bit under two seconds. Two seconds triggers the alarm. But just like the garage door opener, it is not a one quick punch operation.

I have it down pretty good. Only set off the alarm once since I caught on. That once was when I returned to the car after about three hours with it standing locked. I think that the alarm was a little antsy. Someone suggested disarming the car before you do the trunk lid thing under those circumstances.

Other than that one time, it just a "One thousand and one" thing to get it open. One second, not two! If we are smart enough to buy these cars, we should be able to deal with this and hope for a better system down the road.
I agree with you but why the trunk realease button does not work just like the one for lock/unlock the doors?
I tried this with another e60 of a friend of mine and it opened with just a single short click. Ten times in a row. Not to mention that my friend looked at me as if i was Fox Mulder...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ovidiu' date='Aug 27 2004, 07:11 AM
[quote name='Bedford530i' date='Aug 27 2004, 07:01 AM'] The trunk lid opens when you RELEASE the button and not when you press it!?
Maibe on your car, but not on all e60s... [/quote]
It is an art, and I agree with Bedford, it does open after you release the button.

I think it's kind of a normal reaction to hold the trunk button until something happens. But, I think that the trick is to hold the button down for 1-2 seconds, release the button and then the trunk lid opens. I know it sounds odd, but it's exactly how it works on my car.

I think that a lot of us hold down the button waiting for the lid to open, and instead we set off the panic alarm.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Contributors

I thought it was just me! I have tried the counting thing but in the end unlocking the car and use the button on the trunk lid seems to be the only sure thing.

Something else that has happened to me along the same theme.... Rolling down all the windows! Twice I have gone out to check on the car before going to bed and found all the windows and sunroof open. I have started taking my keys out of my pocket while at home.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

i always find if i press the boot/trunk (gotta love some US'isms ) button once i sometimes here a sound, like some sort of deadlocking disengaging? if release the button then press it again briefly the bootlid always pops up. kind of 2 stage thing....works if i press down once and hold as well, never set alarm off, guess that feature is not enabled in uk.

alternatively if the doors are already open i can just press the boot release button and it opens.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

In my previous post I said 3 seconds.
Actually paid attention today. It's more like 1 - 1.5.

And it opens when "released" on my car too.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid