E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trunk compartment release question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have no problems with my boot whilst the car is locked the boot can be opened via key. I have a problem where in the owners manual it states if you hold the boot button for more than 2 seconds the panic alarm should activate. Good job nobody was going to mug me today because kept thumb on button till got cramp in my thumb but woldn't activate the alarm. Is this something that needs to be programmed or does anyone know of a fix?????
Old 12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='371898' date='Dec 28 2006, 10:34 PM
Wait until you're approacing your car with your hands full. It doesn't take long to get in the habit of grabbing your key out of your pocket first -- then loading your hands with packages, etc. As you approach the car, you hit the remote and the lid pops open, allowing you to unload your hands without any trouble...
Yeah I've noticed those weird brown paper packages without handles (paper bags?) you guys get in supermarkets then have to wrap your hands around them.

Maybe that's why my boot release button does nothing.

I don't need it. No time for shopping!

ABC
Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I want to know what "knackered" means - Is that Olde English?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

It's definitely English - not sure how old, though.

See http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/knackered for the official definition

and by extension, broken.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by buckers' post='371900' date='Dec 28 2006, 04:40 PM
Have no problems with my boot whilst the car is locked the boot can be opened via key. I have a problem where in the owners manual it states if you hold the boot button for more than 2 seconds the panic alarm should activate. Good job nobody was going to mug me today because kept thumb on button till got cramp in my thumb but woldn't activate the alarm. Is this something that needs to be programmed or does anyone know of a fix?????
Will have to check but as I recall the panic button/alarm is a North American feature. Perhaps other from the UK can confirm/correct this...
Old 12-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Just tried holding down the bottom button for 2 secs and the alarm when off (im assuming thats the panic feature), and yes the trunk release from the drivers side does open the trunk.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='371765' date='Dec 28 2006, 07:34 AM
It can be more of art to get the remote to open the trunk. Has been a topic of discussion here many times in the past. What most have found works is that you have to hold down the button for a "one thousand one" count to open the trunk. Any shorter and it doesn't open and much longer and you set off the panic alarm (at least here in North America).
This has been my experience as well. Still takes me several tries to open the trunk via the remote, which does work more reliably when the car is unlocked. Opening the driver's side door without the remote via comfort access is also hit and miss.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bbmertz' post='371953' date='Dec 28 2006, 10:32 PM
This has been my experience as well. Still takes me several tries to open the trunk via the remote, which does work more reliably when the car is unlocked. Opening the driver's side door without the remote via comfort access is also hit and miss.
I find that opening the trunk via the remote is problematic as well. I've set off the alarm more that I've opened the trunk. I have no problem opening the doors via the comfort access - it actually works quite well. I sometimes have trouble getting them to lock via the comfort access. The door handle seems to have a place to touch to lock the doors that is the size of a gnat. Sometimes I have to try 2-3 times before it will lock and when it does, I'm not sure what I did right to get it to work.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

same problem here.. whenever i use the key to open the trunk the alarm goes off... i just find myself opening the drivers door and hiiting the trunk release button when i want to open the trunk.. i never use the button on the key anymore. not a big deal to me.. im more focused on driving the car haha.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Members

I have the same trunk opening problem (maybe feature). I took my car in a few weeks ago?I was told by the Tech that I needed to unlock the doors and the press the trunk button on the remote for 2 full seconds. A bit weird as my wife?s X5 does not need the same process.

Quick Reply: Trunk compartment release question