E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission "SLAM" supposedly fixed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk
Is there a similar TSB for the 545i? If so, if our car is now out of warranty, even though we've had it in for repair of this problem multiple times while it was under warranty and they were unable to fix it, are we supposed to pay for this fix now? Is there some sort of appeal process for problems like this?
Hey gwf545, I am in the same boat as you? Did you find any SIBs for a 545i or did you find out if this one will work for the 545i?
[/quote]

Me to, i wouldlike to take mine in also.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Members

Here is the SIB for the 545i. It was posted in another forum SIB240305

I am going in tomorrow for my second visit regarding the 'slam' issue when accelerating/braking. So far a throttle reset was done, under CPO without success. The only problem I find with the SIB for the 545i is that it doesn't state that the software upgrade is covered under CPO warranty. Even though SIB24 03 09, addresses the same issue but is covered under CPO. I also read that that it can be covered under a 'goodwill' repair since their are know issues.

I'll update after tomorrows visit to the dealership.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Members

UPDATE: Dropped the car off this morning with BMW Dealership. Filled out a customer complaint form with details about what the car is doing, specifically:
Intermittent harsh 2-1 downshift (jolt)
when coming to a stop with light
brake application.
Jolts and/or jerks felt when
reaccelerating after coasting.
Judder when gently accelerating
(most noticeable at an engine
speed below 2,000 RPM).

Received a call back from my SA stating that they were starting a PUMA case and will possibly be replacing the Mechtronics/and or Transmission (covered under CPO). He stated that a software update wouldn't correct the problem.

I also had a fog light that needed to be replaced as I hit a cone on the highway. They wanted to charge me $375 installed (not covered under CPO). I refused as it wasn't a dire problem. He said he would update me as soon as he heard back from BMW.

I just got off the phone with my SA, he said they are going to try a procedure called "2-1 tip in" which basically reprograms the what the car shifts through the gears. They want to keep the car and drive it home to see if it corrects the issue.

I am now wondering if this is only a band aide solution to a deeper transmission issue? Funny how after I declined the Fog light fix, it went from new tranny to new programming.

In the end if it doesn't drive right they will have it back in the shop so it's really their dime..on a side note, the 528i loaner drives pretty well. I am enjoying the new software it has.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by SirLoins
UPDATE: Dropped the car off this morning with BMW Dealership. Filled out a customer complaint form with details about what the car is doing, specifically:

Received a call back from my SA stating that they were starting a PUMA case and will possibly be replacing the Mechtronics/and or Transmission (covered under CPO). He stated that a software update wouldn't correct the problem.

I also had a fog light that needed to be replaced as I hit a cone on the highway. They wanted to charge me $375 installed (not covered under CPO). I refused as it wasn't a dire problem. He said he would update me as soon as he heard back from BMW.

I just got off the phone with my SA, he said they are going to try a procedure called "2-1 tip in" which basically reprograms the what the car shifts through the gears. They want to keep the car and drive it home to see if it corrects the issue.

I am now wondering if this is only a band aide solution to a deeper transmission issue? Funny how after I declined the Fog light fix, it went from new tranny to new programming.

In the end if it doesn't drive right they will have it back in the shop so it's really their dime..on a side note, the 528i loaner drives pretty well. I am enjoying the new software it has.
In my experience, reprogramming will never fix the problem. They reprogrammed my car I believe 3 times, the problem still existed. They got the district tech involved and BMW tech in Germany involved, they tried every electronic adjustment that they can think of and never succeeded. At the end their rediculous and unacceptable answer is that all 550 jerks when coming to a complete stop. It sure is a piss ass excuse. I have read that other members got their tranny replaced and that solved the problem, I guess I am not as lucky. To spend almost $75k and not be taken care of, it really sucks. A lot of members including myself just learn to live it, for now until the new M5 comes out. I have not driven the new tranny in the new 5 series, I can only pray that the "jerking"
is gone and BMW won't jerk us around anymore.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lee1224
In my experience, reprogramming will never fix the problem. They reprogrammed my car I believe 3 times, the problem still existed. They got the district tech involved and BMW tech in Germany involved, they tried every electronic adjustment that they can think of and never succeeded. At the end their rediculous and unacceptable answer is that all 550 jerks when coming to a complete stop. It sure is a piss ass excuse. I have read that other members got their tranny replaced and that solved the problem, I guess I am not as lucky. To spend almost $75k and not be taken care of, it really sucks. A lot of members including myself just learn to live it, for now until the new M5 comes out. I have not driven the new tranny in the new 5 series, I can only pray that the "jerking"
is gone and BMW won't jerk us around anymore.
I can't believe that they didn't fix the problem!?! I will honestly make them test drive me around in other 5 series to prove that all of them jerk.

What a crock of S___T!!!!

I will update tomorrow when I hear back from the dealership.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Members

I can't believe that they didn't fix the problem!?! I will honestly make them test drive me around in other 5 series to prove that all of them jerk.

What a crock of S___T!!!!

I will update tomorrow when I hear back from the dealership.

UPDATE:

2-1 tip in didn't solve the problem so the mechtronics were swapped out. Does anyone know if they update the software when this is done?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

UPDATE:

2-1 tip in didn't solve the problem so the mechtronics were swapped out. Does anyone know if they update the software when this is done?

keep us posted please.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xi 07' fully loaded...stock :(

my 07 530xi been doing this since the day i got it, when im barely pressin brake coming to a stop at a redlight 2-1 downshift my car jerks...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Members

I picked up the car yesterday, and it is running great. No slam is present, although I feel the car isn't pulling as much through the gears but I can't confirm this yet. I was trying to scan i my receipt from the dealership but my scanner isn't working. I'll type up the work writeup for others to use.

J# 2 24BRZ1000......................................... .................................................
Comment: Customer states the vehicle seems to lurch when you are starting off. Feels like bumped from behind.
Also seems to happen when slowing down. (See diag sheet)

CPO Warranty
Faulty software and mechatronic module
Performed short test and found no related faults. Test drove and verified harsh 2-1 and 1-2 shift. Submitted TC case 32472910 and was
instructed to perform 2-1 tip in case ISIS. Performed 2-1 tip in retrofit with ISSS and test drove after programming found downshift
was fine but vehicle has harsh 3-4 upshift. Supplemented TC case and was instructed to replace the mechatronic. Removed trans pan and
sealing sleeve and replaced the mechatronic with new pan and sleeve. Filled with new fluid and programmed new mechatronic. 2-1 tip in and
mechatronic replacement was done with ISTAP 37.2.0.4 cleared faults and adaptations after repair.

PARTS......QTY....FP..NUMBER...........DESCRIPTION .........LIST..PRICE.UNIT.
JOB # 2 1 24-33-7-571-233 RMFD MECHATRONICS WARRANTY
JOB # 2 3 83-22-0-142-516 OIL WARRANTY
I hope this helps someone get the same service for their vehicle from the dealership. I'm bummed I didn't get the idrive update, but overall can't complain as this only cost me $50.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:39 AM
Members

Sorry for kicking up an old topic.

I have recently had my gearbox revised and mechatronics replaced. Then off to the dealer for a software upgrade because shift from 4 to 3 was not smooth at all. A big bang.
After the software upgrade it was fixed but now i experience this kick in the back when i come to a standstill and it shifts from 2 to 1.

I have a e60 from late 2003 with the auto 6 speed. Is this topic also related to me?

Quick Reply: Transmission "SLAM" supposedly fixed...