E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Slam? Nope... Woman Slam

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling away from a junction (roundabout) today I thought SH*T something wrong with the transmission.

But it was a woman driver who decided to collide with my rear bumper.

Usual paintwork damage (maybe cracked bumper). Most annoying is that a PDC sensor has been pushed in and is flopping around inside the bumper so permanently engaged when PDC active.

Ah well. Insurance job.

ABC
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: Its a 535d M-Sport... 19" Alloys, Carbon Black, Lots of bits and I love it!

Gutted...!! had a similar "accident" hated driving around in a less than perfect car!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='381337' date='Jan 21 2007, 09:27 PM
Pulling away from a junction (roundabout) today I thought SH*T something wrong with the transmission.

Usual paintwork damage (maybe cracked bumper). Most annoying is that a PDC sensor has been pushed in and is flopping around inside the bumper so permanently engaged when PDC active.

Ah well. Insurance job.
Sorry to hear ABC...
You must have been fuming!

Anyway, bumper damage like that is usually fairly easy to fix.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Members

Aybeesea,
Sorry to hear that! I had the same problem about a month ago. The BMW repair shop told me that the entire bumper needed to be replaced because you cannot glue the sensor back on?.so I had it fixed. It ran me around $850, now I am trying to collect from the guy that hit me.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

happened to me once... not a big deal in terms of damage, but 2 weeks without the car is painful
Old 01-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='381337' date='Jan 21 2007, 09:27 PM

Ah well. Insurance job.

ABC
Well, let's hope that it does not become a repeating feature - like tranny slam.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='381337' date='Jan 21 2007, 10:27 PM

Ah well. Insurance job.

ABC
Bummer!
Had similar incident in my E46..
..she was applying lipstick...
Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that.. i too had an incident like that in my 530.. the woman was talking to her baby in the backseat and not watching the road.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

So, it wasn't transmission slam ... but did the infamous tranmission hesitancy on rolling stop (typical of a roundabout situation) contribute in some way to the situation...?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='382062' date='Jan 23 2007, 09:45 AM
So, it wasn't transmission slam ... but did the infamous tranmission hesitancy on rolling stop (typical of a roundabout situation) contribute in some way to the situation...?
Sorry to read of your coming together ABC.

I hope all comes good for you soon..............

Re the hesitancy raised by Raighne - have some fun with this!

The latest excuse/reason I've received from BMW UK is quote " The percieved throttle delay you have experienced while driving is in fact the result of the compliance of the Diesel engine control system and the automatic tramission with EU regulations of the particulate emissions. It only occurs in limited engine operating conditions at high torque requirements when a gear change is imminent. It is only apparent in certain driving styles."

Therefore it's my (our?) fault!! Read on...........

To continue quote, "The system builds acceleration at a rate that prevents the excessive formation of soot particles that would be generated should full fuelling be permitted. Because of this control, the throttle is actuallly applied electronically by the engine managment system and not directly by the driver. The effect is that the operation of the accelerator pedal can feel different due to the normal linear correlation between driver requirement and the throtttle application being replaced by the necessarily non-linear system control. The system applies the throttle slower than expected at first, and then builds to the drivers load requirement. It is not possible to alter the throttle application under these driving conditions, as compliance with EU regulations must be maintained"

Now its the EU's fault!!

And here is the helpful advice part!

Quote "A slight alteration of driving style minimises the control necessary and avoids the effect"

Very helpful, of course there is no actual advice as to what driving style to use! Funny (not really!) I thought I knew how to drive, I've been driving long enough, according to BMW I don't know how to drive, so there!!

Quick Reply: Transmission Slam? Nope... Woman Slam