E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Slam

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i, Silver Grey Met, Black Leather, popular wood, premium package, cold weather package, sport package, nav, shades, 50% tint entire car, Proline Styling clear bra...e60 M5 on order production date in Jan 06.

I have read a few posts in the past discribing a "transmission slam." I have encountered this problem since I had my 545 in Feb. They have updated the software on numberous occasions and the problem still persists. Has anyone had this problem and actually had it fixed? It is very annoying and it feels like im being rear ended!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Welcome Denny. Do you know which version of software you have? I had the slam and when I got upgraded from 15.0 to 18.0 in July, it solved the problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Silver Grey Met, Black Leather, popular wood, premium package, cold weather package, sport package, nav, shades, 50% tint entire car, Proline Styling clear bra...e60 M5 on order production date in Jan 06.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Sep 21 2005, 10:44 AM
Welcome Denny.? Do you know which version of software you have?? I had the slam and when I got upgraded from 15.0 to 18.0 in July, it solved the problem.
[snapback]173222[/snapback]
Not sure which version, but it has been upgraded twice, most recently in August, so I assume it was the latest version. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

OK, I assume you have a steptronic and not an SMG transmission. Look lower down in the forum, others are still reporting the "slam" in their cars with the latest software. Maybe its not a software issue. Keep after them until the service guys resolve it. Fortunately mine was resolved by the software update... Good Luck!

Here's that thread...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16080
Old 09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Sep 21 2005, 11:59 AM
OK, I assume you have a steptronic and not an SMG transmission.? Look lower down in the forum, others are still reporting the "slam" in their cars with the latest software.? Maybe its not a software issue.? Keep after them until the service guys resolve it.? Fortunately mine was resolved by the software update...? Good Luck!

Here's that thread...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16080
[snapback]173262[/snapback]

Thanks so much, you are the man!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Members

Had the tranny slam, here is what i brought to the dealer.... I found it in this forum..... it does appear that BMW has an "official" procedure on this. Also, if you do a search on tranny slam you may find a link to a jaguar forum which specifically addresses the software problem on the ZF (?) tranny. IT has been known for awhile.....

After they did the update, no more tranny slam, dealer warned me that it could take all day for update- depends on how "well" computer accepts the modules, i guess kind of like a window driver update....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this while nozing around BMWTIS site...:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.01(Target data Status E060-05-06-500).

Vehicles equipped with 6HP26 up to 4/05, customer complains of harsh downshift. Refer to SI B24 03 05.

Here is the SIB240305 bulletin:

SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift

MODEL
E60 (545i); E63/64 645(Ci/Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or

Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop (vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.

Important:

Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be placed in P position prior to the start of CIP programming.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For the appropriate defect code and labor operation refer to the KSD system.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire, BLK Anthracite. STEPTRONIC, NAV, Cold wthr Pack., Logic 7, Style 116, Bluetooth, Moto v710, CIP 18.x

One thing to add here:

My 545i Steptronic went in recently for reprogram for the tranny slam.
The shop foreman told me that after the reprogram they have to take
the car on the road and accelerate thru all six gears and then back off the
throttle and let the car coast and down shift all the way down to fisrt gear
so that the "memory" of the tranny knows how to downshift.

So if you had the CIP reprogam and the car stills behaves badly, try the
above and see if if helps.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Members

Thanks guys i appreciate all the help, im taking it in again on Tuesday
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

I took my 530i in yesterday for the second time for transmission slam problems. The transmission slips, and slams going in and out of 1st gear. During test drive with technician, the transmission kept slipping during upshifts from 1st gear. Then on hard acceleration, transmission slammed hard, rear wheels hopped and tires screeched. The I-drive panel displayed "Transmission Fault" and some language about reduced power and shifting. When we limped back to the dealership they told me they were replacing the transmission - apparently this is a "hardware" problem - not the software!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I had a similar but not identical issue. It turned out to be the crank shaft sensor. Maybe you want to have them check before they completely replace the transmission.

See this thread.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...44&#entry179344

Quick Reply: Transmission Slam