E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem Automatic gearbox 530d/535d

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced the following problem with my E60 530d auto a number of times now and would like to find others with the same problem to see how common it is. If it appears to be a design flaw, me might be able to prompt ZF/BMW to thoroughly investigate the case and provide a solution!

Description of the problem:

The gearbox makes a nocie (to me it sounds like a pneumatic drill, but others have described it as a "weird" sound or a "slam"...), refuses to change gear and the car refuses to accelerate. After a short while, the car apparently gets in gear and takes off again.

When?
- I have only experienced the problem when driving in D-mode, not in DS
- It appears when hitting the accelerator quickly e.g. to bypass another car and not when accelerating more gently. This has made me believe that it might be a kick-down related phenomenon, but I have no "proof" for this.

How often?

It has happened 7 times to date, despite my efforts to avoid these hard accelerations in D-mode. I am worried that this might cause damage to the gearbox and thus i try to shift to DS before overtaking.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

Our gearbox did make some really bad sounds to, when the car was new.. It only happend when the gearbox went 2 gears down..

Example: Driving 80 km/h i 5 gear, and when I hit the accelrator pretty hard (not kick-down) the gearbox did shift from 5 th to 3 th gear, and did make a terrible sound... :thumbsdown:

After a while BMW installed a new gearbox for free, and the new gearbox is much better!

hmm - did that make any sense at all ?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by oreo' date='Sep 30 2005, 07:39 AM
I have experienced the following problem with my E60 530d auto a number of times now and would like to find others with the same problem to see how common it is. If it appears to be a design flaw, me might be able to prompt ZF/BMW to thoroughly investigate the case and provide a solution!

Description of the problem:

The gearbox makes a nocie (to me it sounds like a pneumatic drill, but others have described it as a "weird" sound or a "slam"...), refuses to change gear and the car refuses to accelerate. After a short while, the car apparently gets in gear and takes off again.

When?
- I have only experienced the problem when driving in D-mode, not in DS
- It appears when hitting the accelerator quickly e.g. to bypass another car and not when accelerating more gently. This has made me believe that it might be a kick-down related phenomenon, but I have no "proof" for this.

How often?

It has happened 7 times to date, despite my efforts to avoid these hard accelerations in D-mode. I am worried that this might cause damage to the gearbox and thus i try to shift to DS before overtaking.
[snapback]177294[/snapback]

Hi Oreo,

I am experiencing a similar problem where the automatic gearbox does not change the gears until very late and the engine revs up to 3500rpm. Is your problem fixed now? I have booked the car for service next week and the dealer has told me I need to leave the car with them for 2 days...
Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Members

my car have also problems withe gearbox. but dealer changed for free and after that everything was fixed BUT....i upgrade software too and have some problems with gears...now i go in two dass for new CIP 19 and i hope it will be smoooothly gears...anyone have also problems with this????
now i have CIP 16.xx....