E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Problem after dealer worked on my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007
Default Transmission Problem after dealer worked on my car

I took my car to a bodyshop because I slipped off the road during a snow storm. The body shop sent my car to the dealer for the mechanical which was supposed to be steering and suspension. They informed me that there was a mechatronics sleeve leak and they would fix it (they also replaced my thermostat). I was happy because it wasn't on my dime but DAMN!

I get the car back and I have a transmission slam from 2-1, I drove the car for a few miles since I picked it up and it is unbearable. I took the car back and the SA is trying to tell me its because the adaptations were reset so I have to drive it for at least 100 miles.

This is the first time a dealer has touched my car since I've had it and this happens. I am planning on flashing the transmission ECU and see what happens. Any suggestion?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)

Hey, i also had a leak on my transmission and the indy reset my adaptation after fixing leak (was the pan). My car DID NOT slam or feel jerk-y. But i will say the car didnt not feel normal, and indeed after driving for for 100-150mile the transmission feels rock solid IMHO. Drive 100 mile and see what happen's, in my opinion that happens when fluid is low. As my car was slaming gears (stop to 1st felt like i got hit from the back) and after the leak was fixed it went away. I wouldnt expect the dealer to underfill the transmission but id say follow the 100mile guideline.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

The transmission showed no issues before, no hard shifts, slams, nothing for the last couple years. Transmission was smooth and quick. I never noticed any leaks before, never seen any spots on the ground either but the dealer said that the fluid was low because of the leak. Only issue I ever had with the transmission was faults due to a low battery more than 2 years ago.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Not the first time I've heard of rough transmission behavior after resetting adaptations. I'd drive it for 100 miles like BMW suggested and see what happens.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)

SAME! I saw no leaks and was right at the verge of switching my mechanic. He is a really good mechanic and came and showed me the leak, the pan had fluid all over it. There is no way to see the leak because there are shields at the bottom of the car, youll only see a leak if its like ALOT like 1 quart a day. Driving the car should fix the problem, how many miles do you have?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

The car has 80k, I'm going to give it a shot. If that doesn't fix it i'll just flash the ECU.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee_115
The car has 80k, I'm going to give it a shot. If that doesn't fix it i'll just flash the ECU.
The SA was correct on having to wait for a verdict on the 100 mile readaption of the solenoid pressures.

Do you know if the trans fluid has ever been drained and filled before (fluid refreshed)? At 80K miles you are due for a fluid refresh.

Standard dealer practice while repairing leaking pans or sleeve leaks is to drain the fluid, fix the leak, then put the used drained fluid back into the transmission and finally top off with fresh fluid. The reason they do this is that during warranty work BMW would not reimburse the dealer for all new fluid, in keeping with their mantra that it is a "lifetime fluid" (they are now saying it is a 100K fluid), and if there were transmission problems after the repair they don't want to be blamed for putting new fluid into a high mileage transmission.

Unless you can confirm with the SA that new fluid was used I would do two drain and fills (drive a mile or two to mix the first new fill with old fluid) and then drive the 100 miles. The adaptation will adjust to old or new fluid, and if you later do change to new fluid the adaptation will probably need to be reset yet again.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee_115
The SA was correct on having to wait for a verdict on the 100 mile readaption of the solenoid pressures.

Do you know if the trans fluid has ever been drained and filled before (fluid refreshed)? At 80K miles you are due for a fluid refresh.

Standard dealer practice while repairing leaking pans or sleeve leaks is to drain the fluid, fix the leak, then put the used drained fluid back into the transmission and finally top off with fresh fluid. The reason they do this is that during warranty work BMW would not reimburse the dealer for all new fluid, in keeping with their mantra that it is a "lifetime fluid" (they are now saying it is a 100K fluid), and if there were transmission problems after the repair they don't want to be blamed for putting new fluid into a high mileage transmission.

Unless you can confirm with the SA that new fluid was used I would do two drain and fills (drive a mile or two to mix the first new fill with old fluid) and then drive the 100 miles. The adaptation will adjust to old or new fluid, and if you later do change to new fluid the adaptation will probably need to be reset yet again.

The attached article explains adaptation.
Attached Files
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

HAPPY to report in less than 100 miles the car is back to normal, transmission slam is gone. I cannot confirm if they reused old trans fluid. Appreciate all the inputs.

I didn't have the car for almost two months. I was driving a rental then my Jeep, OH what a difference! I missed my car terribly.

BimmerFan as always, great information, thanks.