E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

transmission malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013 | 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Hey just an FYI, i am currently rebuilding mine. I have never done it before and it inst too bad. I have the ZF repair document and you can rent the compressor tool from bimmertoolrental.com. I had to run to a local shop because the tailshaft nut is a odd socket. But they did it for free. So a very doable rebuild.
Originally Posted by turboawd
awesome. i've rebuilt a few gm transmissions, so i wouldnt imagine the zf are much worst.
what have you found to be worn out in your trans? got any pics of the internals?
Yes! Possibly a DIY would be in the works we hope, with a lot of pics. This is what I've saved to bookmark from xoutpost.com. This was an excellent read!

ZF 6HP26 Teardown - Xoutpost.com
Old 10-20-2013 | 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Yes! Possibly a DIY would be in the works we hope, with a lot of pics. This is what I've saved to bookmark from xoutpost.com. This was an excellent read!

ZF 6HP26 Teardown - Xoutpost.com
wow, thanks for the link! and great story on how the 6 speed trans came about.
the trans look simpler than i thought it would be.
Old 10-20-2013 | 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

wow, thanks for the link! and great story on how the 6 speed trans came about.
the trans look simpler than i thought it would be.
Right! I though you'd like that.

I would love to do a complete breakdown like this. Anyone got a ZF to donate?
Old 10-23-2013 | 02:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 black 528i

Does it always feel like it slips or just sometimes at a standstill when you start to go theres a sort of slam coming from the back of the car as the gear catches?
Old 10-23-2013 | 12:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw

yup
Old 10-23-2013 | 05:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 black 528i

Same thing happened to me, its just a software update you need becasue BMW fitted a 6spd in a 5spd box so they had to use smaller clutch packs which wore faster and the update will recalibrate it.
Old 10-23-2013 | 05:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chrism24
Same thing happened to me, its just a software update you need becasue BMW fitted a 6spd in a 5spd box so they had to use smaller clutch packs which wore faster and the update will recalibrate it.
how does a software update fix worn clutches?
Old 10-24-2013 | 07:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

how does a software update fix worn clutches?
It can't. But, with software, you can control the solenoid valves and thus the pressure at any given time to each individual clutch pack. The software update fixes a pressure/timing issue.

I have rebuilt a ZF 5HP24 transmission out of my E38 with over 200k miles. The clutch disks and steels were fine. In fact the steels still had machining marks on surface evident. Of course I replaced the frictions anyway. The most common failure point on the 5HP24's is a failed A-drum due to metal fatigue (the end of the drum holding the snap ring in place would break off. Second biggest failure is an o-ring. When an o-ring lets go, you loose the fluid pressure necessary to engage/hold the clutch. Result is slipping.

Unless the friction material has failed (rare) or worn significantly (rare again) the clutches are self adjusting. The piston simply moves further in bore to compensate for friction/steel wear. The transmissions even have built-in mechanical oil pressure regulators that compensate for oil pump wear.

Long story short. Failure is usually due to failed O-rings. The rebuild kits consist of new frictions and O-rings along with a few springs and other minor parts. Then there are valve body (Mechatronic) rebuild kits.

The rebuild process is tedious due to the hundreds of parts to you have to keep track of. The ZF rebuild manuals are a must. I made my own special tools. It is definitely doable.
Old 10-24-2013 | 11:16 AM
New Members

Solenoids replaced on mine fixed the same issue. 30K miles with no issues.

is me replacing mine.. not hard

thectsc.com has them
Old 10-24-2013 | 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ncsugrad2006
Solenoids replaced on mine fixed the same issue. 30K miles with no issues.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjvxRZyvWM]BMW E60 545i ZF 6HP26 / 6HP19 Mechatronics / Valve body Removal / Solenoid Replacement - YouTube[url] is me replacing mine.. not hard

thectsc.com has them
nice video.

did you have to remove the valvebody to replace the solenoids?
whats the difference between the colors?
how much did they cost you?
are the solenoids variable, or do they just simply actuate on and off?

did you inspect or take apart the old solenoids, and inpsect for debris or obstructions?

Quick Reply: transmission malfunction