E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

transmission malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013 | 11:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw
Default transmission malfunction

Hello All,

A few days ago I got a transmission malfunction error on my i-drive. I took it to the dealer and they said I need it replaced!

My questions, a indy shop said they can rebuild it for have the price with 2 year warranty. Is it worth doing it? Downside to rebuilding?

thanks
Old 10-17-2013 | 03:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

what error did you get? what led the dealer to condemn the transmission? has it been shifting improperly?
Old 10-17-2013 | 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i'd go with a rebuild.
Old 10-17-2013 | 05:19 PM
New Members

4f89 and 4f8a are the codes. The gears are slipping.

It's a 04 545i AT
Old 10-17-2013 | 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mpower310
4f89 and 4f8a are the codes. The gears are slipping.

It's a 04 545i AT
gears dont slip. clutch disc packs slip. either do to low fluid pressure, or wornout clutch material.
has the fluid ever been changed? autos operate hydralicaly, and use the fluid to compress the pistons that engage all the clutch packs, for each gear.
Old 10-17-2013 | 06:13 PM
New Members

New transmission pan and fluid over 2 months ago.
Thanks for all the input so far guys!
Old 10-17-2013 | 07:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

95% of BMW dealers are totally clueless when it comes to transmissions. All they know is the mantra "replace it".

If you haven't already, do a second drain and fill to get up to about 85% new fluid (I assume you are using ZF Lifeguard fluid or a listed 11B equivalent - this is very important).

Unless you have huge miles on the transmission, most slipping is either the wrong fluid, fluid level or fluid flow restriction related.

After a second drain and fill have the transmission adaption reprogrammed and see where you are at. Unless you have serious wear on disk packs solenoid adaption reprogramming might correct your problem.

If a local shop quotes a rebuild that is usually a mechatronic unit swap out, or maybe even just solenoid swaps. That is fine, but make sure their price is a fraction of a rebuilt unit. Relatively few indies have the equipment or know-how to do a competent job on a full overhaul of the ZF trans. Make sure to ask about their warranty.
Old 10-18-2013 | 11:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
95% of BMW dealers are totally clueless when it comes to transmissions. All they know is the mantra "replace it".

If you haven't already, do a second drain and fill to get up to about 85% new fluid (I assume you are using ZF Lifeguard fluid or a listed 11B equivalent - this is very important).

Unless you have huge miles on the transmission, most slipping is either the wrong fluid, fluid level or fluid flow restriction related.

After a second drain and fill have the transmission adaption reprogrammed and see where you are at. Unless you have serious wear on disk packs solenoid adaption reprogramming might correct your problem.

If a local shop quotes a rebuild that is usually a mechatronic unit swap out, or maybe even just solenoid swaps. That is fine, but make sure their price is a fraction of a rebuilt unit. Relatively few indies have the equipment or know-how to do a competent job on a full overhaul of the ZF trans. Make sure to ask about their warranty.
thanks! the shop im binging it to has a 2 year unlimited miles warranty.
Old 10-19-2013 | 03:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Hey just an FYI, i am currently rebuilding mine. I have never done it before and it inst too bad. I have the ZF repair document and you can rent the compressor tool from bimmertoolrental.com. I had to run to a local shop because the tailshaft nut is a odd socket. But they did it for free. So a very doable rebuild.
Old 10-19-2013 | 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
Hey just an FYI, i am currently rebuilding mine. I have never done it before and it inst too bad. I have the ZF repair document and you can rent the compressor tool from bimmertoolrental.com. I had to run to a local shop because the tailshaft nut is a odd socket. But they did it for free. So a very doable rebuild.
awesome. i've rebuilt a few gm transmissions, so i wouldnt imagine the zf are much worst.
what have you found to be worn out in your trans? got any pics of the internals?

Quick Reply: transmission malfunction