E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission or MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

Hello everyone!
I just bought 2004 530i, and I'm already scared that my transmission is failing! Car has 60000 miles. The problem is as follows: when i accelerate to 3000 RPM it seems that my gears are shifting not smoothly, the RPS start jumping for a second and when they (RPM) reach a desired level, then the gear shifts. It does not always happen, but when it does I can definitely say that there is a problem. My mechanic told me that it could be a MAF sensor, which he tried to clean, but it did not work. I could try switching MAF sensor, but i want to be a little more certain that it is the problem. He also tried hooking up his computer to OBD2 but it was not successful.
!
If anybody has a clue of what it could be, please let me know.

Greatly appreciate any help!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Members

Hi all, im new to this forum and this is my first post.

Im having the same problem with a 2004 525d. Gear box oil had just been changed and a new sump gasket put on as there was a slight leak from the sump. The filter wasnt changed tho so my mechanic thinks the new oil may have acted as a detergent and knacked the filter so bits floating about thus the non smooth gear change. Im thinking of getting this filter changed but if anyone else has any thoughts?

Have you had a new MAF sensor? if so has it made a difference?

Originally Posted by zamestytel
Hello everyone!
I just bought 2004 530i, and I'm already scared that my transmission is failing! Car has 60000 miles. The problem is as follows: when i accelerate to 3000 RPM it seems that my gears are shifting not smoothly, the RPS start jumping for a second and when they (RPM) reach a desired level, then the gear shifts. It does not always happen, but when it does I can definitely say that there is a problem. My mechanic told me that it could be a MAF sensor, which he tried to clean, but it did not work. I could try switching MAF sensor, but i want to be a little more certain that it is the problem. He also tried hooking up his computer to OBD2 but it was not successful.
!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Members

Forgot to add my car has only done 70,000 miles.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Hello everyone!
!

Your transmission is slipping based on what you have said. I don't see how the MAF sensor could be a part of this problem.

I would attempt the 20 second "reset" to the transmission, and have the oil/filter/pan changed. If this doesn't solve the problem your transmission is likely on its way out. I had an Acura CL that used to do the same thing you speak of. I traded it in rather than have the transmission addressed at a cost of like $4500~.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Indeed, could very well be your Mass Air Flow Sensor. Make sure your Air Filter is cleaned as well. There is one thing you need to know about these vehicles.......

The car is all electronic. If the MAFS fails your tranny can skip and act up....even go into "limp mode" (safe mode) where you will be driving in 3rd or 4th gear the entire time. The tranmissin gets it shifting points from the MASF....I don't remember the entire terminology but I wouldn't speak unless it was out of experience I've seen this issue in many 3 series too. Shops tell customers they rebuilt their tranny when they only swapped out the MAFS or topped off tranny fluid (and with incorrect fluid too)

You can get a re-manufactured MAFS from Napa Auto Parts. It is an OEM sensor rebuilt. It will be about $100 and you have to turn in your core. However, don't turn in your core right away because you can turn it in for a core return any time. If that's not the issue then you can return the part you bought.

First make sure your air filter is clean. If you are running something like a K&N make sure you service it and don't add so much oil to it. You may also be low on Tranny Fluid. Make sure it is at the appropriate level and if you're not sure how to fill it, there is a DYI on here somewhere. Just make sure you use Pentosin ATF1. Use the original lifetime fill. $16 a quart is well worth the piece of mind.

I have 98K mi and I'm about to drain tranny, fill and drive for another 2000 miles before I re-drain and then swap the pan/filter combo out. Pretty much for safety reasons.

So clean your air filter and see if that helps. Also, do the following...........

Turn the car's ignition over.
Do not start.
Press the gas pedal down to the floor for 30 seconds.
Turn car off and remove key.

How To:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/785...-start-button/

This will reset the tranny to adaptive driving mode. It will be learning your driving behavior I believe for the first 1000 miles.

BE CAREFUL WITH WHO TOUCHES THAT TRANNY. IT MUST BE DONE TO FACTORY SPECS.

To Change the Gearbox oil pan/filter assembly:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/881...-drain-refill/

rm european has the assembly for about $150. Don't skimp on the fluid. Use the correct fluid!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Members

Wow! Thank you guys for quick and in-dept responses.
The reset worked. it still has some slippage on the third gear, but as refaie1 sad it will be learning the driving behavior for next 1000 miles. Really hope so!
My air filter is clean, and tranny fluid is also good. Hopefully this reset will do the job.
thank you for the tip on cheaper MAF. i still think i should replace it.

BTW another problem that i came across is the sound system failure. Stereo system would play ok for 10-15 minutes, and then all of the sudden massive static would kick in! i did a little research and found out that it is SOS system that is malfunction. I disconnected it and it works fine, however it throws SOS failure notice on Idrive. which is pretty annoying... Again i did a little research and found out that i need to reconnect my SOS system back, but bypass the sound part.(sorry if my terminology is in proper) BUUUT SOS failure still shows up on the screen. Bummer... Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

BTW another problem that i came across is the sound system failure. Stereo system would play ok for 10-15 minutes, and then all of the sudden massive static would kick in! i did a little research and found out that it is SOS system that is malfunction. I disconnected it and it works fine, however it throws SOS failure notice on Idrive. which is pretty annoying... Again i did a little research and found out that i need to reconnect my SOS system back, but bypass the sound part.(sorry if my terminology is in proper) BUUUT SOS failure still shows up on the screen. Bummer... Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
You're welcome.
Make another thread about this issue to keep things in order and get better responses.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Members

Ughhhhhh,
started acting up again... Took the car for a long trip over 4th of July weekend and i definitely feel the kicks again. Most of them come on higher rpm (3000 - 4000)

Should i try re-setting the tranny again?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Ughhhhhh,
started acting up again... Took the car for a long trip over 4th of July weekend and i definitely feel the kicks again. Most of them come on higher rpm (3000 - 4000)

Should i try re-setting the tranny again?

How old is your car battery? Did you get the MAF sensor replaced?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Members

I do not know how old my battery is. most likely it was not change. I did not change the MAF sensor.

And my gear jerking became worst....