E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission fluid everywhere OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 PM
New Members

oh sorry upside down
Old 01-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the picture is not working for me
Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
the picture is not working for me
heres the photo upside down again
Attached Thumbnails Transmission fluid everywhere OMG!-bmw.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 PM
New Members

I finally was able to check the fluid
there was none coming out after removing the filling plug/bolt

I bend a little wire and put it through the hole to try and get some level indication

there was about1cm or 1/2 and inch only in there

I also bought a code reader from the net and the transmission fault came back as
4F81

I have spoken to a few people and they think it means a problem with clutch A
they said that it usually indicates no fluid passing throught a certain section of the transmission and a simple full tank of fluid should fix it

I have to order the fluid as none here i can find

could someone tell me the amount of fluid i need?
I will hopefully be able to test it Sunday
Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Transmission Fluid?

IT takes completely 12L roughly for a full flush.
6-7L from a drain and fill.

The difference in L is due to the oil being in the torque converter takes a few flushes for it to all come out.

Use realoem.com and fill it out and see what your transmission is. If its an early model E60 (yes yours is an E60) you probably have a GA6HP19.

If you need parts, try alibaba.com for the seals and adapter - they sell pans too, but the gasket that comes with the pan are really shit - better off buying OEM as its fairly cheap (the gasket alone). Most people will recommend changing the pan as the filter is integrated on it. There is a ebay US selling a 'repair' kit for this that comes with the pan, filter + gasket + 25 bolts for about 110$ shipped, depending on where youre from (based this off my location of Australia). This is pretty cheap considering it comes with bolts which are usually 2-5$ each...

Otherwise you can find all the sealing sleeve, sealing adapter and etc on alibaba and its pretty cheap with fast delivery. Delivery from the US fucking sucks and is super slow. (though Chinese New Year is soon and they'll all be closed for 2 weeks etc)

In terms of oil, you're best off looking for Mercon SP (pretty much exac. specs as OEM) if you can't afford OEM and buy the box of 12L from the US so they can ship it (they need to contain the oil in a box etc to be able to ship, so if its not, such as sellers trying to sell 6, they can't ship it out). Otherwise you might be better off using 20L drum and filling and flushing your gearbox if you want to use new oil. People in Australia that have Fords use a similar gearbox from ZF (ZF is the brand of the gearbox) but its GA6HP26. Similar model but they use oils like Gulf Western etc and buy 20L drum to flush as this oil isnt compatible with OEM and mixing will damage your gearbox. I'd google ford transmission ZF fluid for a better understanding of which oils to use if you want to go down this route.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mwaku; 01-20-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Name:  qbu3OZC.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  92.3 KB
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
Thank you
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by mwaku
Transmission Fluid?

IT takes completely 12L roughly for a full flush.
6-7L from a drain and fill.

The difference in L is due to the oil being in the torque converter takes a few flushes for it to all come out.

Use realoem.com and fill it out and see what your transmission is. If its an early model E60 (yes yours is an E60) you probably have a GA6HP19.

If you need parts, try alibaba.com for the seals and adapter - they sell pans too, but the gasket that comes with the pan are really shit - better off buying OEM as its fairly cheap (the gasket alone). Most people will recommend changing the pan as the filter is integrated on it. There is a ebay US selling a 'repair' kit for this that comes with the pan, filter + gasket + 25 bolts for about 110$ shipped, depending on where youre from (based this off my location of Australia). This is pretty cheap considering it comes with bolts which are usually 2-5$ each...

Otherwise you can find all the sealing sleeve, sealing adapter and etc on alibaba and its pretty cheap with fast delivery. Delivery from the US fucking sucks and is super slow. (though Chinese New Year is soon and they'll all be closed for 2 weeks etc)

In terms of oil, you're best off looking for Mercon SP (pretty much exac. specs as OEM) if you can't afford OEM and buy the box of 12L from the US so they can ship it (they need to contain the oil in a box etc to be able to ship, so if its not, such as sellers trying to sell 6, they can't ship it out). Otherwise you might be better off using 20L drum and filling and flushing your gearbox if you want to use new oil. People in Australia that have Fords use a similar gearbox from ZF (ZF is the brand of the gearbox) but its GA6HP26. Similar model but they use oils like Gulf Western etc and buy 20L drum to flush as this oil isnt compatible with OEM and mixing will damage your gearbox. I'd google ford transmission ZF fluid for a better understanding of which oils to use if you want to go down this route.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your mail
I will have a look on alibaba for the sump and sealing sleeve

I am having great trouble finding transmission fluid here but was told that Pentosin ATF1 is okay

It is available here

I posted a forum for anyones knowledge but no replies yet

Thanks again
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

You can use Pentosin ATF.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid everywhere OMG!