E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Fault, Won't Start, Possible ISM problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by ricochet77
Those were my thoughts exactly. It is a European speciality shop that does mostly BMW's, I did not have a chance to talk to the mechanic yet so I am not sure if he knew the whole back story and if he reset the computer and retested or if he is just basically saying this is what the computer says. Can you test the modules, battery and alternator or do you have to replace them to see if they are causing this error? Anyway, I already called another shop where I will get the care towed and get a second opinion if this shop still believes it is the valve body, but I am not buying it at this point.
You can test all those without replacing, but the problem is if the alternator and battery are faulty then the ECUs can generate errors without actually being faulty, so you would basically have to do a process of elimination, battery, alternator, ecu. Unless, you just can't connect to the ECU, then it is probably bad.

Before you move the car ask him to clear the codes, test the battery, charge the battery, then try again.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i
Default Transmission fault and vehicle will not start

Originally Posted by ricochet77
My mom has a 2006 530i. The car was not started for 3 weeks as she was out of town. When she got back, the car started but said Transmission Malfunction and would not let car go in gear. She tried to get it towed the next day and the car would not start at all, and I believe the dash lights did not even come on. Her car is parked on a hill and not in a good position to tow since it can't be put in gear. From looking around the internet I see people mention an Integrated Supply Module problem which seems it might be causing this. Anybody have any ideas or insight into this situation. Thanks
I drive a 2004 545i. I parked my car Sunday night and Monday morning I could not start the car! It had all of its power but just wouldn't start! It was displaying transmission malfunction and cruise control malfunction! And said gear is engaged while not in park and to drive moderately! Well couldn't start it so no worries there! I have had the car towed to my garage! I have since need told that the main computer is done! The are ordering the new main computer from Germany! It is going to take two weeks and with end up costing about $2000.00! I know this is not what you want to here but might shed some light on your problem!