E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Fault!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

I have a similar problem which started last week. About a month ago I got the following error:

Transmission Fault!-error.jpg

As soon as the car switched off and then on the error disappeared and it wasn't registered under error messages on i-drive. I visited the SA and the diagnostic computer suggested to check or replace transmission oil. We decided to do nothing for the time and wait to see if the error appears again, since the mechanic told me it might be battery problem!! Last week I got the error twice in a day and the car went to the SA last Monday and had the battery replaced. I don't get the error any more but I had the same problem with you when the car changes from 2nd gear to 1st. I'm really hoping that this can be fixed by transmission adaptation.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='738427' date='Dec 5 2008, 04:37 AM
I have a similar problem which started last week. About a month ago I got the following error:

Attachment 66539

As soon as the car switched off and then on the error disappeared and it wasn't registered under error messages on i-drive. I visited the SA and the diagnostic computer suggested to check or replace transmission oil. We decided to do nothing for the time and wait to see if the error appears again, since the mechanic told me it might be battery problem!! Last week I got the error twice in a day and the car went to the SA last Monday and had the battery replaced. I don't get the error any more but I had the same problem with you when the car changes from 2nd gear to 1st. I'm really hoping that this can be fixed by transmission adaptation.
We have exactly the same things.

When I got the same message you post in Sep. (87K on the clock), switched off and on and the message disappeared. Brought the car in and they have tried a few things including the transmission adaotation. Eventually they issued a puma case and was willing to cover 50% cost of part to replace the tranny. Just like you I have decided not to do anthing and see if the message would come out again.

And it did,after 4.5 k. This time the just hooked it to the diagnostic computer and SA told me the control module is failing. Since here has been a pums case SA requested another good will repair and much to my surprise BMW is willing to cover 70% part this time.

I have decided to repalce the tranny. The appointment is booked at 22 Dec. (there is no spare tranny!) Believe it or not, the let me take the car back because they regard the car is still safe to drive!

Many people have pointed out the batter problem but m SA told me that's the fisrt thing to check whenever the see the tarnny fault message. For the tranny problem I have had m car with the dealer for total 4 weeks over 3 visits. Recoding, program updated, adaptation.....and even the 40 second hold down trick, the annoying has never gone away. I gave up and have decided to live with it but there came the tanny fault message. Did you feel the car jurks a bit or hear/feel the slip/bang from the tranny before getting the message? I did and that's why I have to believe that something wrong with the tranny itself.

I hope the new tranny would give the car a new life. It is funny that I was "expecting" a smooth stop everytime I approach to a red light. I mean it is a BMW!! How sad!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Members

Smile

Hey Burj530

guess what, i almost feel like i bought your car here in America ;-)

+++mine is 2004 530i driven 57.000miles, gives me random errors like flat tire when tires are ok,

+++did that transmission failure, fail-sale mode bullshit that goes away after restarting

+++and, to be absolutely consistent it has the lurch when coming to complete stop.

Please update on me on weather changing the tranny with BMW "good will" of 70% has actually fixed the problem!?

ULTIMATE DRIVE-YOUR-CAR-TO-DEALERSHIP MACHINE, will never buy BMW again!!! hell with the beauty

Thank you so much

George